LED nightlight

Alphawolf

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Jan 8, 2002
Messages
55
Location
Ogden, Utah USA
Does anyoneone know of a simple LED nightlight available anywhere? I am tired of replacing those little 4-watt bulbs on my 3 nightlights in the house! I wish the conversion from ac incandescent to dc LED wasn't so involved. I would think a single 5600 mcd ultra-white would be plenty of light in a dark hallway.
 

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 22, 2001
Messages
2,707
Location
Graham, NC
mad.gif
I don't know of any led nightlights but it sounds like a good idea.
You might want to look at the EL lights. I have them in my house. 1/4 watt and cool to the touch and flat to the wall. As long as your eyes are dark adapted you can see ojects well. I've seen them in lime and indiglo color.
grin.gif
 

Empath

Flashaholic
Joined
Nov 11, 2001
Messages
8,508
Location
Oregon
GE makes an LED nightlight. It's called a GE model 3940. You may have already seen one, and not recognized it as an LED light. It's in many well stocked lighting hardware stores, along with the various other nightlights. The LED actually can't be seen, but it shines into the edge of an acrylic plate that has different designs engraved in white in the plate. The one I have has flowers engraved. It does an admirable job, much brighter than the blue Indiglo® type,or neon type.
 

Alphawolf

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Jan 8, 2002
Messages
55
Location
Ogden, Utah USA
yeah....I've thought about the El lights. I would think they would last forever. I would like a little more light than they put out though. (besides.....I "love" LED's!)
 

Alphawolf

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Jan 8, 2002
Messages
55
Location
Ogden, Utah USA
Hey! I think I have seen that GE light! You're right, I didn't know it was LED! I shall hunt them down with reckless abandon!
 

mikep

Enlightened
Joined
Sep 22, 2000
Messages
305
Location
IL
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Empath:
GE makes an LED nightlight. It's called a GE model 3940. You may have already seen one, and not recognized it as an LED light. It's in many well stocked lighting hardware stores, along with the various other nightlights. The LED actually can't be seen, but it shines into the edge of an acrylic plate that has different designs engraved in white in the plate. The one I have has flowers engraved. It does an admirable job, much brighter than the blue Indiglo® type,or neon type.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is cool! they are listed at the end of the PDF brochure here: http://www.gelighting.com/na/litlib/hep_ge_nightlight.html
 

Brock

Flashaholic
Joined
Aug 6, 2000
Messages
6,346
Location
Green Bay, WI USA
Ok, who knows where we can get them online since I doubt we will have them around here.

On a side note I have ceiling light wired funny in my house. They are 2 candelabra base, so when I wired them I made one of the 2 hot all the time and the other is controlled by the normal switch. So I put a 4w nightlight in the constant on side and a 60 (max) in the other side. The 4w tends to burn out since it is on all the time and I would LOVE to replace it with a candelabra (night light sized) LED light. Who wants to make one for me
wink.gif
 

Mike

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Oct 26, 2000
Messages
179
Brock,

My local Home Depot sells a CFL candelabra type bulb. It takes about 3 watts and puts out about 15 watts of light. That should last longer than a normal night light bulb, and give off more light. An LED bulb would still take about 3 watts but give off a lot less light. You can see this on homedepot.com Search for SKU: #843665

If you'd like these I could send you a pack. We have a coupon deal here with our electric company where I can get a couple CFLs free each month right now. I have them coming out my ears.
 

LiteFreek

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Dec 15, 2001
Messages
74
Location
USA
I believe Sauce makes some color washing nightlights. Not sure if you want that but http://www.glow-bug.com/ has them under the AC powered lights in their online catalog.

-The local LiteFreek
 

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Nov 10, 2000
Messages
1,164
Location
NJ, USA
Here's a web site that has the LightWasher for only 23.95 plus FREE shipping. Just ordered one. You may also consider the LightSprite which has similar functionality but fewer LEDs so it's not so bright.
 

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Nov 10, 2000
Messages
1,164
Location
NJ, USA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Just ordered one. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correction. Just ordered three! I figured these will make great gifts.
 

Darell

Flashaholic
Joined
Nov 14, 2001
Messages
18,644
Location
LOCO is more like it.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LiteFreek:
I believe Sauce makes some color washing nightlights. Not sure if you want that but http://www.glow-bug.com/ has them under the AC powered lights in their online catalog.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

These are GREAT, and really exactly what I was looking for. Anybody have an idea how much wattage they draw?

These aren't JUST color-washing lights. You can choose a constant color, or have all lights on for "white." You can also adjust the light output. Really sounds great.
 

Darell

Flashaholic
Joined
Nov 14, 2001
Messages
18,644
Location
LOCO is more like it.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RonM:
Here's a web site that has the LightWasher for only 23.95 plus FREE shipping. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great find! Free shipping is getting harder and harder to come by these days. When they arrive, would you mind letting us know the wattage rating? Thanks!
 

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 16, 2000
Messages
3,074
Location
San Gabriel Valley
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
Great find! Free shipping is getting harder and harder to come by these days. When they arrive, would you mind letting us know the wattage rating? Thanks!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm also a great fan of CK products-don't have the wall plug-ins yet, but how high could the wattage be? (with either 3 or 6 LEDs)
smile.gif
ANY color or combination of colors you like, so you'll never get bored
tongue.gif


p.s.-the instructions that come with CK stuff are downright skimpy, so I would advise extra experimentng with the control(s), as I found 3 or 4 special f/x with the wands that they said nothin about..
rolleyes.gif
 

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Joined
Aug 12, 2000
Messages
19,414
Location
Federal Way WA. USA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vcal:
I'm also a great fan of CK products-don't have the wall plug-ins yet, but how high could the wattage be? (with either 3 or 6 LEDs)
smile.gif
ANY color or combination of colors you like, so you'll never get bored
tongue.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

3 watts, according to the UL thingie on the back of each.

One stern warning: DO NOT plug these things into a dimmer circuit, or they will explode in a fiery ball of hell that will consume your curtains, scorch your carpet, and pepper your ceiling with red-hot screws & LED leads!!!
shocked.gif


Ok, ok... so they won't *explode*, but they will be destroyed. I made the error of plugging my LightWasher in a dimming outlet that was running some other lights around 80%, and within some number of minutes I heard a terrible buzzing noise, then saw the LEDs dim & then go out. When I went to unplug it, the case was HOT HOT HOT and I had to let it cool for several minutes before it could be removed and autopsied.

When I opened it, I was greeted with the horrible but familiar stench of smoked resistor.
tongue.gif
A large resistor on the board was charred beyond recognition, but I didn't see any other damage. I suspect a lot of diodes & transistors were smoked too, but not to the point of exploding or burning.


<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vcal:
p.s.-the instructions that come with CK stuff are downright skimpy, so I would advise extra experimentng with the control(s), as I found 3 or 4 special f/x with the wands that they said nothin about..
rolleyes.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was done intentionally.
If you read the Lightwand instructions carefully, there is mention of "hidden" or "secret" modes left for you to find on your own.
grin.gif
 

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Aug 5, 2001
Messages
151
Location
Big Island of Hawaii
I have a lightwasher and I've noticed it is warm where the leds are located - even when it's off. Also, the color wash is a little disappointing to me, as it isn't random - it just follows the rainbow order. There is a random light mode - but it is abrupt instead of smooth. I prefer the wash mode. I heard the Zzzzzlight does a color wash randomly - I might have to get one - although it only runs on batteries.
 

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 22, 2001
Messages
2,707
Location
Graham, NC
Cool find. Just ordered one of each. Dang, Zlite, Lightsickle ,Lightwand and strange bright beams(SF, US and Surge). My house is going to look like a X-file's episode.
grin.gif
That's my fix for the day.
wink.gif
 

Darell

Flashaholic
Joined
Nov 14, 2001
Messages
18,644
Location
LOCO is more like it.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Artie Choke:
I have a lightwasher and I've noticed it is warm where the leds are located - even when it's off. Also, the color wash is a little disappointing to me, as it isn't random - it just follows the rainbow order. There is a random light mode - but it is abrupt instead of smooth. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm. That IS a bit disappointing. Still, the good news here is that mfgs are actually starting to make this stuff now. I can't be waiting around for it to be perfect...gotta have it NOW!
smile.gif


While 3watts is negligible, it is still higher than I thought it would be.
 

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Aug 5, 2001
Messages
151
Location
Big Island of Hawaii
So far I like the Lightsickle the best - it has A/C power and can run on batteries. The only thing I don't like is it's not that random either. Supposedly a new micro-controller version is coming out that will enhance the performance.

I still have to get over to radioshack and check out those plasma cubes - the one in Craig's Xmas pictures. That looks like it could challenge the Lightsickle for space on my night table.

But I'm starting to neglect my flashlight addiction, as a new mistress has taken over for now - playstation 2 - and she's a harsh task master! She exacts a lot of pain before the pleasure part kicks in... But that's another story!
wink.gif
 
Top