LED tent light using 6v lantern battery?

cprstn54

Newly Enlightened
Couldn't find a category for this, so i posted here.

I am looking for an LED tent/camping area light that I can power with a 6V SLA lantern battery.

I did a Google search and found nothing. Even the ones using 4 D cells do not use them in a lantern battery adapter.

Odd that there are no "lanterns" actually using a lantern battery.

Ken C

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couldn't find a category for this, so i posted here.

I am looking for an LED tent/camping area light that I can power with a 6V SLA lantern battery.

I did a Google search and found nothing. Even the ones using 4 D cells do not use them in a lantern battery adapter.

Odd that there are no "lanterns" actually using a lantern battery.

Ken C

I think with LED lights these days there is little perceived need for the kind of output/runtime that the huge heavy honking lantern batteries can provide.
You can get tiny lanterns now like the Siege or UST that will run forever on a few AA batteries or the larger models that will run even longer on D cells and the light designers mostly have decided that this is good enough for us.

That said it should not be tough to tinker and create something if that is what you want from any light than runs on 6v too,sounds like a fun project to me.

broadgage

Enlightened
What about use of an LED drop in bulb in a lantern that was intended for an incandescent bulb.

Good used examples often appear on fleabay or in charity shops. My favourite design has an adjustable and directable concentrated beam like a flashlight AND an area light from another bulb under a clear plastic dome, The light output is impressive with a modern LED bulb and the run time at least 24 hours from a lead acid or zinc carbon battery, A good quality alkaline battery should give about 100 hours.

Polarity is often "pot luck" with lanterns, so get LED bulbs that are not polarity sensitive.

This sort of thing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-P...288920?hash=item4d3cb9c358:g:1yEAAOSwnipWbGOD

No specific recommendation is made regarding either the vendor or the exact item linked to. Link provided to show the type of product to which I refer.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wire a USB A female socket to the battery and use any of the multitude of USB LED lights available. Even though the battery is rated at 6 volts, it should quickly drop slightly to be close to the 5 volts USB devices expect, and the slight over voltage should not damage any LEDs. You could even get one of those 'spider' hubs and run multiple USB devices like extra lights or small fans at the same time. If you are concerned about any slight over voltage, just add a dropping resistor to bring the voltage down to 5 volts.

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
kmart has a "Northwest Territory Rechargeable Lantern" for about $13 that is powered by a 6v 4.5 Ah SLA and it comes with a 6v 300ma AC charger, and a car cigar lighter plug 12v to 6v 300ma charger/adapter. If worse comes to worse, you can pull the battery from your current unit and charge it in the other. Opps! That is a twisted florescent lamp... you'll get about 5 hours, and those SLAs are supposed to be slow charged, about 16 hours. But for giggles I fired mine up last week, and although it had a cool tint, it wasn't too bad, as lanterns go, regarding the glare

On the other hand, the coleman lanterns that take the XPS battery pack might fit your SLA