LED Torch Recommendations for Sewer inspections

ozmik

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

First up, I'm new to the forum so thanks for having me.
I'm looking at buying a LED torch for work use and would really appreciate some help advice from the experts!

Uses and requirements:

• Conducting Inspections of Water mains, Sewer & Storm water manholes/access pits/pipes etc. Depths ranging from approx 2 - 20 meters.
  • Very bright white light (600 lumens +).
  • Water resistant.
  • Not big and bulky.
  • Hip holstered.
  • Rechargeable.
  • Adjustable, spread to spot, zoom (not essistenal ).

I was looking at something like the Klarus S11 USB re-chargeable, but don't really need the "tactical" elements like the strobe.
Similar price range anyway.

All help is much appreciated, so thanks in advance.

Mik.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you work with a lot of running water, then dont get a light with pwm controlled brightness adjustment. (pwm is basically a really fast on-off cycle running at full power. Blink, on 20% of the time and off 80% a couple of tousand time pr second lets say 2000hz, and you got 20% output.)
The higher the hz, the harder it will be to notice the "strobe effect". But with movement, and around reflective stuff (like walking in, or at the side of water) i always find pwm disturbing. Find something current controlled where brighness is controlled with how mutch current the led gets at different modes. (steady output with no blinky stuff).. Normally i cant detect pwm, but around reflective stuff (like water) + motion... almost makes me sick.

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
^^^agree with the above statement. Also what kind of rechargeable batteries, RCR123, 18650? I'm guessing since you said you would be inspecting sewers/manhole accesses its going to be pretty dark where your at even in the daytime, if I may make a suggestion I think you will find that 300 lumens or possibly even 200 lumens will be more than enough seeing as you only need to see 20 meters or roughly 65.5 feet. 600 lumens at that short of a distance might wash everything out and not allow you to see what you need to see. If you do get a light with that many lumens make sure you have some lower settings. Try some of these brands: Eagletac check out the T20C2 MKII or the G25C2 nice lights for the $. Or try Jetbeam Check out there RRT line of lights. Look at Fenix, and HDS systems too.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
Johnbeck180 and Jorn are right on the money....

Another light to consider is the Fenix E40, for inspection type work, this thing is amazing

almost 100% of the light is in the hotspot, so it's too bright for stuff like looking at the ground at night,
but for daytime use, looking from outside (daylight) into a dark sewage drain.... it would work very well.

...it's beam is like a hotspot focused zoom light, and it's waterproof. The 200 lumen rating is very, very misleading.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing since you said you would be inspecting sewers/manhole accesses its going to be pretty dark where your at even in the daytime, if I may make a suggestion I think you will find that 300 lumens or possibly even 200 lumens will be more than enough seeing as you only need to see 20 meters or roughly 65.5 feet..

I'm a low lumen/night vision guy that is always shaking his head when people ask for high lumen lights for use in dark environments... normally I would completely agree with your statement. However, the way the OP mentioned the word "depths" made me think he will frequently be above ground in broad daylight, with zero night vision, peering down into dark holes frequently. If this is the case, then lots a lumens will be necessary.

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
I'm a low lumen/night vision guy that is always shaking his head when people ask for high lumen lights for use in dark environments... normally I would completely agree with your statement. However, the way the OP mentioned the word "depths" made me think he will frequently be above ground in broad daylight, with zero night vision, peering down into dark holes frequently. If this is the case, then lots a lumens will be necessary.

I'm a low lumen guy as well. Your 100% correct, if he's going to be in daylight and needs to peer down a hole he will need quite a bit more lumens. Ozmik just make sure it has lower settings because if your down in a manhole and your eyes get somewhat adjusted to the dark then you flick on a full 600 lumens....that what we call a retina melter. Lol. Good luck on your search for the right light.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
I'm thinking if your looking down into something from outside your going to need something pretty bight to see in there without actually sticking your head down in the dark whole. But floody would be optimal and probably NW.

Also he wanted a rechargeable light but I would also suggest 18650's because you can carry extras. Id suggest at least 2 Eagletac 3100mah 18650's with the Pila IBC and either the Zebra light SC600 or Eagletac T100C2 or Jet-beam BC25.

Are there any 1x18650 lights that come in 5000k NW?

KingMonkey

Newly Enlightened
I am a fan of jetbeam due to their prices and basic interface as I have no need for disco lights on a flashlight. The bc-40 might be a great choice depending on what you mean by big and bulky here is a link of some lights for comparison. I am slot technician and I need to carry on my hip a flash light so I picked the bc-25. Some of these other lights may be better for you. You also may want to look into the ThruNite Catapult 900 Lumen light
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?314962
BC-40
Specifications and Performance
• LED: CREE XM-L
• Maximum output: 830 lumens
• Maximum runtime: 11 hours
• Battery: 4*CR123 or 2*18650
• Reflector: Precision aluminium reflector
• Dimensions: Head Diameter 48mm, Tube Diameter 25.4mm, Total Length 223mm
• Weight: 227g (without battery)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?314962

Last edited:

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
O'yeah! Forgot about the BC40. I don't think you could go wrong with this light, 800+ lumens for well under $100. Also I forgot to mention a light. Look at the Eagletac M3C4 single XML, great light plus it has the infinite variable output ring. It also has the option of using 2x18650 or 4x CR123