LED

bucket_chris

Newly Enlightened
:) Hi all

Imy new hear and had some ????s
I was planing on turning my instument panle in my car red. So I thought of LEDs. So I need some bright 12v LEDs. What makes a LED work on 12Vs? Is it the LED it self? or can I get LED with out resistors installed and install resistors to make it work.
I am also looking for a place to buy LEDs in the Phoenix area?

thanks
Chris

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think getting good red LEDs then adding resistors might be the way to go... or maybe figure out how many LEDs you need, and getting a good single regulator to run time.

Next question is... how do you envision this working? Does your instrument panel already use LEDs? I've enver seen one like that but I haven't taken an instrument panel out in years. Are you wanting to backlight the panel or build some kind of funky thing where there are LEDs between you and the panel, facing the panel so that the red glow falls on the existing, lighted panel?

Also, this might work better in the general lighting forum.

bucket_chris

Newly Enlightened
The panle is baklight so my plane was to install LEDs on a board so I could get a good and even look. but I was a wally world and so some light bulbs the fit right in the cluster tryed them and they look good. but not great I plane on getting some LEDs in that will fit in the sockets(thanks bogie). I still plan on making some tail lights and am still a little lost. Any LED ran with the right resistor can run on a 12v system. but what is this single regulator to run time? I plane on running like 20 -30 LEDs in one tail light. Is there any way I can change how bright the LEDs out put is?