Left Android; Joined IOS

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Silence Unknown Callers, this feature alone is worth just about any price of admission to have an iOS 13 phone; now when robo/ad callers call, my phone does absolutely nothing - no sound or vibration, music or video continues uninterrupted, there is only a silent banner posted that lets me know the next time I look at the phone. This feature should have not only been on the original iPhone, it should have been on the original digital land line phones decades ago, a world without telemarketing..

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fantastic.
I only have IOS 10, and I use my phone for my Brewery.
Most of my orders come in overnight, so my phone only rings for the few Favourites in my list. Pure luxury.
We don't use Landlines anymore, I cannot tbelieve that the Telecoms peolple over here missed the trick. They run a Third World Comms Sytem here. if it wasn't for the fact that they own the cables that provide our Internet they'd be long gone.
P

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Silence Unknown Callers, this feature alone is worth just about any price of admission to have an iOS 13 phone; now when robo/ad callers call, my phone does absolutely nothing - no sound or vibration, music or video continues uninterrupted, there is only a silent banner posted that lets me know the next time I look at the phone. This feature should have not only been on the original iPhone, it should have been on the original digital land line phones decades ago, a world without telemarketing..

I've just upgraded and thanks to your post I've turned on "Silence unknown callers." I'm now looking forward to peace and quiet. :)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
In android if you don't have a caller ID app the only known callers are those you add to your contact list. You can choose a ring tone for all of them and use sound recorder to record 30 seconds of silence and use that for your default ring tone thus silencing unknown callers.

nbp

Flashaholic
Duuude! I didn't even see that option was there on ios13! Thank you! I have just toggled it on. My cell phone is my business phone too so I get buckets of spam and robo calls.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been a Samsung guy for a long time and my phones have always treated me well. Currently using a Galaxy s9+ and it does everything well for me. I buy my phones directly from Samsung and traded my s8+ in for the 9+ and they gave me $450 towards the 9+ so it only cost me $350 to get the new phone.

Apple is good but not for me. And yes Itunes is horrible from the days I used it with the Ipod.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'm not an Apple fan, mainly because I cannot afford to be one and Itunes in the 90s was no good, I use Winamp for my computer and Ipod and PlayerPro for my Android Phone.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I did not activate the "silence" feature because many times calls are from my kids using a buddy's phone because theirs got lost or broken, or has a dead battery.

I did activate the battery lifespan assistant that learns your recharge habits like overnight charge that in the new feature stops charging at 80% until shortly before the user typically unplugs it.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm not an Apple fan, mainly because I cannot afford to be one and Itunes in the 90s was no good, I use Winamp for my computer and Ipod and PlayerPro for my Android Phone.

Apple is definitely pricey. I've never purchased a current model year phone and I've always bought mine as refurbished / scratch & dent units to save money.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
That's exactly what I do. After all it's just a phone, not a flashlight.
P
That's not what a lot of people think these days. I see a handful of them every day using their phone as a flashlight. I'm so used to using a flashlight that I forget the app on my phone exists.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
That's not what a lot of people think these days. I see a handful of them every day using their phone as a flashlight. I'm so used to using a flashlight that I forget the app on my phone exists.

Current iOS phones are as fast to use as a flashlight, because the light on/off button is on the lock screen, and the phone wakes on being moved out of your pocket.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Current iOS phones are as fast to use as a flashlight, because the light on/off button is on the lock screen, and the phone wakes on being moved out of your pocket.

Not sure that is a good thing as you can accidentally turn the light on and not know it till you find your battery dead a day later.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Not sure that is a good thing as you can accidentally turn the light on and not know it till you find your battery dead a day later.

The lock screen flashlight and camera buttons require a full/"3D" press to activate them, like a physical flashlight button; a tap from an errant grab or object in your pocket won't do it.

ven

Flashaholic
Big apple fan here, swapped out the windows vista,7 pro, then 10(varies of each on different laptops) to macOS Catalina . So so much better, no glitches and no going back to microsoft. Phone wise, since the 1st apple, to now the 11 pro max. I had a glitch with a samsung pixon many moons ago, 1st ever 8mp camera. Took work on first night shift, battery was gone by 3am! Needles to say, it went back later that day, always stuck with apple. Some new devices can be a little tempting at times, but it soon passes.

The latest pro max camera is superb. much better in lower light close up pics than my previous X . The X though was an excellent phone, i was disappointed my battery health was at 96% after 14 months though(little OCD and would not use the fast charge pads as i know of them tiring the battery quicker). I remember a few IOS back when i first read StarHalo mention night shift mode. That quite possibly was one of the most useful little updates ever. I have the screen temp set with an edge of warmth, so much easier on tired eyes(all of the time then).

Gone for the midnight green flavour this time, love it. Ok ok you cant see much of it living in an otterbox case. But its a nice change from the usual blacks, greys , white etc etc. I will say the larger battery is very good, the X use to be on 60-70% by the end of day/early eve. I am still on 80-90% and also has a different power plug at 3a.

Yep i am a fan, already got use to the larger screen(i surf much more than talk) from the X, which i had to get use to being smaller(phone wise) than the previous plus models.

Needless to say, everyone else are on iphones to. So we have 4 on the go.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have an 8 and 8+. Both have settings turned on/off like each other. Tracking, app refresh etc. At times the 8 sips battery when idle and the 8+ drain like mad when idle, setting side by side on my desk. Other days the 8+ sips on battery while the 8 has mystery drain.
At first I figured weak signals caused the one to drain fast, but not the other until days they swap the issue. Example, one day the 8+ drained to 50% in a few hours while sitting idle while the 8 was at 95% at the end of the day after using it a lot. Yet the very next day my 8+ was still at 98% at the end of the day and 8 drained to 40 something percent by lunch time while sitting idle all morning.
It's almost like big brother Apple turns on a spy cam inside one or the other at times.

No regrets switching over to apple, just observed behavior issues at times regarding battery drain between two set up pretty close to identical.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I noticed on my Android phone that when I'm connected to Wifi and using it for data my phone can run for days without needing recharging but off Wifi it runs for maybe a day and a half off cell service. All my calls go through cell service but data switches between cell and wifi
when I'm away from home or not.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I noticed on my Android phone that when I'm connected to Wifi and using it for data my phone can run for days without needing recharging but off Wifi it runs for maybe a day and a half off cell service. All my calls go through cell service but data switches between cell and wifi
when I'm away from home or not.

The cell radio draws much more current than the wi-fi radio because it has to transmit a signal that can reach a cell tower a mile or two away, rather than a few hundred feet.

Latest posts