Legal flashlight length

A

Avix

Newly Enlightened
never trust a LEO with a legal question, there job isin't to interpret the law, but to enforce it. the example about knives a while back was very good, I once asked 4 LEO's in the same office if my belt folder knife was legal, I got 4 differnt oppinions. (1 yes, 2 no, one "damedifiknow") I once asked my Chief of Police if sword canes were legal, he couldn't tell me, I called the County Sherrif, same deal, I had to contact the state AG's office to find out not only were they legal, but you didn't need a Concieled permit to carry them legaly. (suprised the heck out of me and I lost the bet)

when in doubt, call the guy who is going to decide if you are going to be charged. the Prosecutor. the cops can put you in jail overnight, find out THEY were wrong, and send you on your way. the prosecutor is the one who decides if the jail is going to land on you or beside you.

jamesraykenney

jamesraykenney

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Phaserburn said:
It's a flashlight until you start swinging it around. Mag's 6D is legal to sell, obviously. Certainly wouldn't want to get hit with one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I carried my 7D Mag all the time when we went walking in the evening for protection against dogs and other problem 'critters.'
Never had any problem with the police, even when the arived to check on a burglery.

I REALLY wish that they still made the 7D...Mine was stolen out of my car...They left a Nikon F2!!!! in the back seat and took my FLASHLIGHT!!!, and my extra pair of GLASSES???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

D

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
fivebyfive said:
I would have to echo the majority of the responses to your question. I have an A.A. and approaching B.S. in Crminal Justice Admninistration and haven't heard or even read anything about legal lengths for flashlights. There are certain objects that are labeled "deadly weapons" (ninja throwing stars, batons, billy clubs...) and some weapons that can turn into a deadly weapon. Baseball bat swung at someone's head, magic marker into someone's eye, a car into a person... So long as you don't use your flashlight as a weapon to attack someone then you're okay. This one part goes back to intent. You can have a bat in the car, but what you intend to do with it is what will determine it's legality. Not against the law just to carry a bat in the car. California Penal Code sections 12020 and 12028 pretty much answers your questions. These sections are really LONG, so I'm not going to post it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep intent is a vital element in any crime. Hence my earlier post that anything you intend to use as a weapon becomes a weapon.

GregR