Lemax LX70 Searchlight

eyesonfire

Newly Enlightened
A very nice mod, converting the NH from short arc Xenon to using a Chinese HID Conversion kit bulb and Ballast.
Not trying to undermine your conversion effort. However, I can assure you that (shown) ballast in your pics, does not output 70 watts. The Chinese ballasts are know for using input watts to the ballast for their claims as well as often gross exaggeration of the watts on top of that. That ballast should have more large heat sinking fins to handle 70 watts input let alone 70 watts output. For your situation it may be adequate.
My bet that ballast you have shown, the output is in the 50 to 60 watts range. The input watts can easily be verified get simultaneous voltage and current readings from the battery to the ballast. Those number multiplied will give you input watts to the ballast, it is safe to say the most Chinese ballasts are typically about 85% efficient. Taking the initial input watts X .85 should get you an approximate idea of the watts going to the bulb.

I assure you it is not China junk.. Similar to Morimoto.. And its actually just over 70 watts.. Using a 14.8 Volt, 4S 6000mah 50C LiPo. As noted on buddies Circuit Trac pro.. Overkill but cool.. Again this is just a modded NH for myself, not trying to compare lights. just showing that the same or better can be accomplished for those with few duckkets, and a few hours. I guess it can be considered a sleeper. :) One thing for certain anyone that does use a LiPo battery should use utmost care and implement a tested design. They are amazing if used properly. With a proper charging system.
One thing, looks can be deceiving.. So I find it best not to judge books by there covers. That's why I know the LX70 is a great light with a unappealing cover.. Just kidding.. I will get some night shots up here. Take care....

Last edited:

RemcoM

Enlightened
Can The Lemax LX70, and the Hellfighter 5, maybe outshine, commercial airplanelandinglights?

Just curious, not more.

What is the kcD, of this both lights.....Lemax LX70, and Hellfighter 5 HID lights?

I will go but, each of these very expensive lights, to complete my ultimate collection, of my flashlight hobby.

Yes, my hobby, about all about flashlights.....lightingsystems, is getting out of hand.

ven

Flashaholic
Can The Lemax LX70, and the Hellfighter 5, maybe outshine, commercial airplanelandinglights?

Just curious, not more.

What is the kcD, of this both lights.....Lemax LX70, and Hellfighter 5 HID lights?

I will go but, each of these very expensive lights, to complete my ultimate collection, of my flashlight hobby.

Yes, my hobby, about all about flashlights.....lightingsystems, is getting out of hand.

Nope...............it gets out of hand when you buy an airplane for its landing lights :laughing:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assure you it is not China junk.. Similar to Morimoto.. And its actually just over 70 watts..

Sorry to break the news "Morimoto" is Chinese (the name is a marketing gimmick to sound Japanesse), and only slightly better than Junk, and it was made in China. There is no way a 70 watt ballast could survive long term without substantial heat sink fins, unless it is a light duty application. If that ballast was mounted behind a headlight assembly in a car without a large amount of cooling air flowing across it, it would fail quickly. We make HID ballasts for aviation, a 70 watt ballast even very efficient (low heat/ losses, ours are better than 90% efficient), needs substantial heat-sinking fins.
You insist its a true 70 watt ballast, it is ~70 watts input. However, that ballast model from "topSun" and others, Is rated as 72.6 watts (13.2 VDC X 5.5 amps) input and about 62 watts output, so its NOT a true 70 watt ballast its a 60+ watts ballast at best. I bet it is potted inside to try and average out the heat inside produced by a very few very hot running components.
Here is what a properly thermally engineered 70+ watts ballast heat-sink should typically look like. http://www.xevision.com/images/XV4D-75-W-ballast-with-bracket-mounted.jpg
Not taking away from your mod at all, it was well done but not up to comparing with an Engineered product from tip to tail.
The XV-LX70 and XV-LX50 and the "superpower" have a XeVision cylindrical internal ballasts shape with a very tight tolerance pocket it fits into. So that the heat is transferred (moved) to the external fins, not trapped inside. XeVision also uses high quality thermal paste at the ballast cylinder to housing interface, to optimize the heat transfer to the finned outer XeRay case. This paste is the same as used on Computer CPU's to carry the CPU killing heat away, to the active cooling system Heat-sink and fan or other more advanced systems now being used.

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can The Lemax LX70, and the Hellfighter 5, maybe outshine, commercial airplane landing lights?

My company makes HID aircraft landing lights, The beam of the XV-LX70 is more tightly columated than most if not all aircraft landing lights.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assure you it is not China junk.. Similar to Morimoto.. And its actually just over 70 watts.. Using a 14.8 Volt, 4S 6000mah 50C LiPo. As noted on buddies Circuit Trac pro.. Overkill but cool.. Again this is just a modded NH for myself, not trying to compare lights. just showing that the same or better can be accomplished for those with few duckkets, and a few hours. I guess it can be considered a sleeper. :) One thing for certain anyone that does use a LiPo battery should use utmost care and implement a tested design. They are amazing if used properly. With a proper charging system.
One thing, looks can be deceiving.. So I find it best not to judge books by there covers. That's why I know the LX70 is a great light with a unappealing cover.. Just kidding.. I will get some night shots up here. Take care....

Your light might have a very similar beam and a similar brightness. That only makes it compareable to to the XeVision in the brightness and throw category.

The XeVision is a professional light for professional customers. It needs to be reliable and the support of the company needs to be reliable. It needs to be very user friendly (easy to use, reliable controls, useable with gloves etc.). It also needs a long runtime and the batteries need to work flawlessly in harsh conditions (cold temperatures are very common). They also should last for many hundreds of charge cycles if the light is to be used for years. LiPo batteries for hobby RC vehicles are in no way comparable to a properly built Li-Ion cell pack with modern, high-quality cells. Li-Pos have a much lower energy density (Whs/cm^3), a much shorter lifespan and become very weak when used at slightly lower temperatures than normal (they are already noticeably weaker at 0°C). You also can't expect a professional user of a spotlight who is not an electronics expert to remove loose Li-Pos from a light, connect multiple cables to a charger, program the charger correctly and put it all back together. That is very dangerous and an an almost unlimited number of errors are possible! A professional light needs to have a smart charger, preferrably with few or no buttons, an integrated balancer & protection circuit in the battery (!) and non-reversable, safe connectors.

To get so much throw in such a compact light (~1.300kcd) you need a high-quality electroformed reflector (relatively expensive) and a reliable, precise way of correctly focusing the bulb in each light. It is very likely that XeVision has focused on one of the hotspots of the arc (on the tip of the electrodes) which have a much higher luminance compared to the middle of the arc of these kinds of automotvie bulbs. These hotspots are very small (<1mm) and require a very precise mouting and focussing mechanism.

The most difficult aspect to engineer is probably the real robustness and toughness of such a large, complex light. What happens when the light is subjected to prolonged vibraton from vehicles/machines etc.? If cables are left loose in the housing they might rub off their insulation and cause a short. What happens then? Can the batteries be shorted accidentally in this way? Will the insulation of the wires work in very low temperatures and not crack? What happens if salt water enters the charging port of the light? What chemicals will damage the O-Rings? What happens when the light falls onto concrete hitting it at different angles? Will part of the electronics overheat if the light is run for 8 hours straight (maybe with external power)? etc. etc.

If you only care about the lighting aspect of the performance, then other lights make more sense. The Firefoxes FF4 ist the best example of this. You get very high performance, reasonable build quality, low robustness, no batteries and charger and probably non-existant Chinesse support for a very reasonable price.

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your light might have a very similar beam and a similar brightness. That only makes it compareable to to the XeVision in the brightness and throw category.

The XeVision is a professional light for professional customers. It needs to be reliable and the support of the company needs to be reliable.

If you only care about the lighting aspect of the performance, then other lights make more sense. The Firefoxes FF4 is the best example of this. You get very moderate performance, reasonable build quality, low robustness, no batteries and charger and probably non-existant Chinesse support for a very reasonable price.

The Fire-Foxes 4 doesn't appear to be for sale any longer. Bang Good is the only place that a search indicates still has battery carriers available. Member "Lips" was the last one selling these lights that I can find.

The FF4 only runs for a few minutes on the 60 watt level, and you only get one chance from on. To activate to the 60 watt level a second time, requires the light to be shut off. The light will run for 15-20 minutes on the 40 watt setting and will run to depletion when used as a 24 watt light.

I've probably got more than 20 short arc / xenon HID lights. The only lights that can run to battery exhaustion are all lights that were designed for military use.

RemcoM

Enlightened
My company makes HID aircraft landing lights, The beam of the XV-LX70 is more tightly columated than most if not all aircraft landing lights.

I think, that the LX 70, has more Kcd, and outthrow a boeing 747 landing light?

What is the kcD, of the LX 70, and a commercial airplane landing light?

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think, that the LX 70, has more Kcd, and outthrow a boeing 747 landing light?

What is the kcD, of the LX 70, and a commercial airplane landing light?

Remco, No Google foo?

From our internet friends for spot light aircraft landing lights.

Brand:PLT
Part No.:4541
Bulb Shape:PAR56
Life Hours:25
Wattage:450 Watt
CB Candlepower:470,000
Voltage:28
NSN:6240-00-155-7774
Horiz Beam Spread:15 Degree

From Lemax for the LX70 Super.

Lemax%20super%20specs_zpsvquhxxbv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

RemcoM

Enlightened
Remco, No Google foo?

From our internet friends for spot light aircraft landing lights.

Brand:PLT
Part No.:4541
Bulb Shape:PAR56
Life Hours:25
Wattage:450 Watt
CB Candlepower:470,000
Voltage:28
NSN:6240-00-155-7774
Horiz Beam Spread:15 Degree

From Lemax for the LX70 Super.

Lemax%20super%20specs_zpsvquhxxbv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thank you for your reply,

1 So, an average landing light, does have 450 kcD, as i read it good?

So, the Lemax LX70, has more kcD..........and my Nitecore TM36, with 300 plus kcD???

And what will be the kcD, of your Niterider most powerful bicycle light........your TM36 of Nitecore...and your Hellfighter 5...HID spotlight, in comparison, to the landing lights?

What you guess? I read, that the hell fighter, has about 800 kcD, on surefire website?????

Next questions about headlights, i will do, via PM.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fire-Foxes 4 doesn't appear to be for sale any longer. Bang Good is the only place that a search indicates still has battery carriers available. Member "Lips" was the last one selling these lights that I can find.

The FF4 only runs for a few minutes on the 60 watt level, and you only get one chance from on. To activate to the 60 watt level a second time, requires the light to be shut off. The light will run for 15-20 minutes on the 40 watt setting and will run to depletion when used as a 24 watt light.

I've probably got more than 20 short arc / xenon HID lights. The only lights that can run to battery exhaustion are all lights that were designed for military use.

The only real reAson vor this is the size of the light. If the FF4 were larger they probably would have skipped the stepdown.

The U.I. Is rather annoying, I agree.

bulbmogul

Enlightened
Does anyone know where one of these can be purchased in the USA..? I did email Petr fellow and he told me they only take a wire transfer and that is to much hassle for me. So where can i buy one of these where i could either use my paypal account or my credit card. This guy will lose a sale if i can not buy using one of these methods..

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know where one of these can be purchased in the USA..? I did email Petr fellow and he told me they only take a wire transfer and that is to much hassle for me. So where can i buy one of these where i could either use my paypal account or my credit card. This guy will lose a sale if i can not buy using one of these methods..

Google "XEVision". They produce the electronics and helped design the light.

German review with pictures here.

bulbmogul

Enlightened
The review you linked to the the older version light. I believe what Bulbmogul wants is something for the LX70 Superpower.

The Superpower is a 50/70 watt light with an 8" reflector. It's a monster.
Yes that is the one I am looking for a picture of..! Love that big ole head on that thing..!

bulbmogul

Enlightened
Re: http://www.worldpartners.co.th/LM70Super.html

Not available for public consumption at this time. No other comments.
Please note that these are now ready for public consumption as mine just arrived today from the Cz Republic.What a awesome monster it is i must say...