Well other then my Inova X5 it's pointy side down. With primaries anyways 😂😂😂

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Re: Lens & O-rings for the MDX?

Lmao! You are right😂😂. NM. I'm out a here😁😁😁

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 16.5 heads didn't always come from Gene with the same lens as the 22.3. They used to have the same lens as the VME, the one that fits inside the ID of the brass rim of the dropin. Including the larger 22.3 lens with the 16.5 head is a relatively recent development from Malkoff, and started shortly after the 22.3 heads became available. If you're like me, once you try the smaller lens in the 16.5 head, you won't want to go back to the larger lens because the improvement in the beam is obvious.

All of my 16.5 heads are set up with the smaller lens, and I find that the beam is much less ring-y at the outer edges of the spill with that setup because the dropin fits deeper into the head and thus the outer edge of the beam isn't interrupted by the ID of the head opening as much as it is with the larger lens. You guys that like to use the 22.3 head because it allows a cleaner, wider spill with the regular M-series drop-ins should find that there will be little difference between the 16.5 and 22.3 beams if you use the smaller VME lens in the 16.5 head. It seals just fine against the gasket.

FYI... Occasionally you'll have a small lens and drop-in that don't match well, and the lens won't be thick enough relative to the rim to seal against the gasket and will rattle slightly. This is where the thin o-ring between the drop-in and lens comes into play, to fill the gap between the lens and the reflector edge. That o-ring is not required for most setups however.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

I think that using the 22+mm head does show much improvement in overal lumens, more tha 100+ lumens difference using a lightr meter and bounce comparimg to other mewer m61's. I have three of the newer M61's.Tthis improves lux on target and spill.

Bill

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think that using the 22+mm head does show much improvement in overal lumens, more tha 100+ lumens difference using a lightr meter and bounce comparimg to other mewer m61's. I have three of the newer M61's.Tthis improves lux on target and spill.

Bill

Bill, what lens were you using on the 16.5 head for the comparison? You mention newer M61s here, but are you comparing heads or modules? Newer head/lens combinations definitely are blocked more due to the bigger lens in the 16.5, as I previously mentioned.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Comparing older 16.5 heads with the newer M61's in a 22mm haed

bill

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Using the 22mm head produces more out put than using the 16mm head with the same newer M61. What are we talking here?

Bill

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast

Amount of light? The 22mm head looks cooler. Easy decision...

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Bill

100 lumens More output from a 22.3 over the 16.5 sounds like a pretty big jump no? And that would be mostly all spill.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Using the 22mm head produces more out put than using the 16mm head with the same newer M61. What are we talking here?

Bill

I explained it all above, in comment #47. There are differences in the 16.5 head lens setups. I will try to explain it again...

The 16.5 head setup with the older lens that fits inside the rim of the module, recessed against the reflector and flush with the rim of the module, produces more OTF output than the current 16.5 setup, which has the same larger lens that is in the 22.3. The combination of 16.5 head with the larger lens recesses the module ~2-3mm from the head opening, and therefore blocks more light from exiting the head.

I see little difference between the OTF output and beam pattern of the 16.5 head with the recessed lens and output from the 22.3 head. However, there is a distinct difference between the output and beam pattern of the newer 16.5 lens setup (with the larger lens that doesn't recess against the reflector) and the 22.3 head. Again, this is due to the module being recessed ~2-3mm within the 16.5 head, which causes the outer portion of the beam to be cut off by the rim of the head, reducing spot and spill output.

The larger lens setup is the way 16.5 heads are shipped from Malkoff today. However, you can still buy the smaller, recessed lens in the VME lens kits. Swapping the lens out for the better/smaller lens setup will increase output and reduce the rings in the beam.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Ok I get what your saying now. So the dropin being pushed back loses that much otf? I'll have to try this. But I'm thinking you will get more spill with the 22.3.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is a VERY slight gain in spill diameter (almost imperceptible) with the 22.3 over the 16.5 head/small lens combo, but not worth switching, IMO. I see the tougher 16.5 head as a greater benefit than the miniscule spill that is gained from the 22.3. I have a hard time believing that a 350-400 lumen M61 loses 100 lumens with the 22.3 lens/16.5 head combo compared to the 22.3 head but it is a distinct, noticeable difference.

When I received my first 16.5 head with the 22.3 lens I sent a complaint email to Gene, because it was immediately apparent to me that the beam was being cut off. He stated that the larger lens was a running change for the 16.5 head, but pointed me to the VME lens kit page on the site if I wanted to go back to the older setup.

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast

So the dropin being pushed back loses that much otf?

If you think about it, the 16.5 head opening is basically the same size as the open end of the reflector. So, if the end of the reflector was completely flush with the opening in the head, there would be nothing to partially block the beam. If you think further about the cone of light that comes out of the module...as you move the open end of the reflector back, away from the opening in the head, it won't take much movement to start blocking a significant portion of the cone. Also, keep in mind that the entire reflector, from the emitter to the opening, works to collimate the photons that reflect off of it into the spot and corona of the beam. This is why some amount of blockage at the edge of the beam would not just affect the diameter of the spill, but the lux of the spot at a more minor level as well.

Last edited:

Whitelight1

Newly Enlightened
Slightly off topic, but how does the MDC o'ring and gasket go in the light? I don't have the tool yet to take it apart, I will get it on my next order. Here are the newest kits I got for Gene, so I am assuming the MDC takes an o'ring and gasket:

A5dbLXv.jpg

pablojudd

Newly Enlightened
What size is that inner o ring in the MDC kit? Also, is the outer gasket the same for both kits?

Whitelight1

Newly Enlightened
What size is that inner o ring in the MDC kit? Also, is the outer gasket the same for both kits?

I don't have a micrometer, but the inner diameter of the MDC o ring is very close to 14/16ths of an inch. Yes, both gaskets are identical in size.