Lenser L7 - my perfect torch, until...

bugbear

Newly Enlightened
Back in 2010 I bought one, cost £21.

I love it, it does exactly want I need, which is not much. It lives indoors, I use it around the house (power cuts), I point it out the window when we have wildlife eating food on the patio, I use it outside when I'm in the yard at night, picking up some extra firewood from the shed.

The light is more-than-enough, the variable focus is great, it's a handy size. It's perfect.

...Until it literally fell apart in my hands. :huh:

broken_l7 by plybench, on Flickr

Reading this forum, I have become very confused. People here love the minutiae of torches
(which is great, personally I can talk on for hours about bicycle gear ratios).

I've read about "regulation" which sounds cool.

So - I want a torch which is very like the L7, but won't fall apart. Possibly with regulation, why not?

Is there an "obvious/classic" torch for know-nothings like me?

BugBear

Scourie

Enlightened
Welcome to the forum!

For a relative newcomer I'd be suggesting something along the lines of Olight S2R. Simple, usb magnetic charging, huge output compared to the Lenser and well built. About £60 but no need to replace batteries.

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

If you are looking for a well built, multiple AA light with focussing check out the Fenix FD45.
Much higher output, 5 different output levels and water proof.
The only downside I can think of is the lack of momentairy on, meaning you have to hold the button for half a second for the light to turn on or off. Not that great if you just want to quickly check whats scampering across your porch.

ven

Flashaholic
I am presuming UK here, if so, check Flashaholics out. From my experience, great customer service. Not cheapest(can order over seas), but any issue you can return a lot easier! Heinnie Haynes is another option, not as much variety in lights though.

Fenix are solid as the Belgian recommends, Olight,Zebralight,Nitecore are just a few to look at. CPF code gives 5% off at the check out. Having a little read up on li ion fuel(safety side/charging/voltages)might be worth 15 mins of your time, an 18650 has the energy of maybe 4 good AA cells. This means a more compact, lighter, brighter light. I would also recommend thinking about a neutral colour temp, more towards 5000k for colour rendition and just easier on the eye(subjective , but worth a look).

Not sure on anything? fire away, someone will be able to advise and help out.

:welcome:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
My suggestion would be the following:
1. Fenix FD20 2xAA
2. Energizer Vision HD Focus 400 lumens 2xAA
both supports zooming and should be readily available in the UK, with the Fenix regulated and Energizer not regulated, similar to Lenser.

Last edited:

BushcrafterAU

Newly Enlightened
If your wanting a focus system, have a look at the LED LENSER P7 or the P7R.
The L7 is not aluminum, whereas the P7 and P7R are.
The P7R is rechargeable with their floating charge system, and has a high of 1,000 lumens.
If your not all that fussed on the focusing system, check out Olight or Nitecore.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I would contact ledco anyway(uk distributor) and (can ring which i have done, or also email which i have also done) let them know of the issue. Get repaired, then have as a spare/back up/glove box light.

Focus lights generally( i have had many lensers and moved away) are not perfect, their beams can be fugly in between throw and spill for a start, also they waste lumens and can allow water in. Not all i may ad, lenser and coast lights are or have been pretty decent .

Best option imo, would be a nice reflector light, general hot spot and spill, so you have a good mix of beams. Decent throw, broad spill so a happy medium beam.

Many options, Fenix will feel like a tank compared(in a good way). If you dont mind side switch, zebralight offer super compact lights with colour temp options and programmable drivers. Their 18650 lights being so compact(regulated, nice general beam, pick HI for throw bias, plus for output/flood). Small enough to EDC for most, bright enough for most as well, great ano that does not chip easy.

Budget depending, there are many options tbh,i would aim for 18650 fuel though. Any Q's fire away, worth a read up if new to. Of course as well as good brand cells, same with chargers(no ultrafire junk here).

Few more posts may ease things up, think more than 3 , might make stuff a little easier and get rid of the big box up top.

bugbear

Newly Enlightened
OK; thanks for the pointers guys.

I have a question.

Are Lenser lying?

In looking at the recommended torches, I've been generally disappointed at the battery life.

The L7 is claimed (by Lenser) at 115 Lumens, and 42 HOURS battery life.

https://www.ledlenser-store.co.uk/torches-c70/l7-led-torch-p934

No other torch comes close to this.

So lenser are either torch efficiency GODS, or their claims are "on the high side" :)

Which is it, please?

BugBear

ven

Flashaholic
As with many manufacturers , they manipulate the figures. You will get X amount of lumens yes, but short lived(be it heat or step down etc or of course lies). Then your X amount of lumens after a minute is 1/2(not always easy to see by eye)the output. Now don't quote me on this, but lenser are(or at least with some lights) more a direct drive. So they put out what the cell/s can give. As the cell/s deplete, so does the output .

Yes you might get 115lm, but at 40hrs it's probably 1lm . Still light though, all be it not much. Regulated lights , you know what your getting. That 115lm might be for 1hr till it drops(or 10hrs on an 18650). Many variables like heat, what fuel type and LED used etc etc .

ven

Flashaholic
Too add , although a nice in hand size (comfort), 3x AAA fed lights are a waste of time . Cells just don't have enough energy for a bright light for decent use time. Not only that, a pita to swap out 3 cells(in the dark a nightmare).

AA eneloop fed light would offer a more user friendly and compact option. Again though,18650 is where you need to go, smaller than your lenser, yet the energy of around 4x AA cells. Lighter, more compact, brighter, most decent branded lights are regulated, also more pleasing colour temp options than ice cold beams. The latter just wash out colours....

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Coast HX5 is my most used AA focusing light. I use NiMh batteries and change when needed. I carry it clipped bezel up in my back pocket - easy to deploy.