LEP for Desert Photography?

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
we're taking a road trip out west and I want to get an LEP light to use out in the desert to take some long exposure pictures.

Im looking at the Thor 3 and the Fenix HT30r but I see other lights that are cheaper just worried about the beam pattern.

What light out there would work best for pictures out in the desert? I hear some lights have a better beam etc.

Thanks for your help!

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
Nice tight beam
Why LEP ?

Nice tight beam, no spill and range for the most part. I've always wanted one so figured now is the time since we'll be out west with plenty of open space and clear skies to play around with.

Any LEP beam would be a narrow beam of white light and no spill, regardless of the brand. I've owned a few, including a Thor 2, Antman, and a SkyLumen LEP. They all have a tiny hotspot. Taking a photo with light from an LEP would illuminate a small spot and nothing around the beam, even for very long distances. It might be useful for capturing a single object very far away if coupled with a very powerful telephoto lens. If using it for long exposure, the beam would wash out anything before the surrounding scenery would capture. But, an LEP might be fun for "light painting."

Otherwise, perhaps a powerful thrower might be just as fun and of better utility with at least some spill?

HRace

Newly Enlightened
Agreed with what's been posted above. For Light painting an LEP may work well though whatever your painting may get overexposed REALLY fast if you're not quick with your painting. Otherwise, I don't think it'll do what you're hoping for and a more diffused light to paint something in the foreground (rocks, etc.) while exposing for the starry night sky may serve you better. For identifying something in the distance on a night hike, maybe LEP is good? Probably need a distance thrower with a wider spot though to find the "thing" (animal, landmark etc) and then LEP to really light it up? Not trying to sound discouraging, sounds like a fun toy but definitely bring other light tools so you can get the results you want if the LEP doesn't work out best.