Lessons learned, lessons shared / given

Poppy

Flashaholic
My dad always made me hold the flashlight for him while he was fixing something; I learned a lot by watching.
I did the same with my kids, and now my grand kids. I used to hear... "Poppy, is this a learning thing?" He wanted no part of learning, but helping was OK. It's funny, that I don't hear that anymore. Last week as we laid a wood veneer floor in the family room, he said, "I like working with Poppy."

Teaching is a part of my being. :)

At any rate, yesterday, my daughter was watching a Hallmark movie. Two co-workers went for a ride to spend time together, to get to know each other better. They drove far enough away from civilization that they had no cell reception, and then made a right hand turn onto the road less traveled. Of course, they got a blow out, without a spare.

Remember, they had no cell service, already for miles. They decided to leave the vehicle and start walking back.

I asked my daughter, "What would YOU do?"
Oh boy, she could tell, This is one of those learning moments. Now.... WHAT is the RIGHT answer?

I told her, I would drive on the flat.
Yeah, you'll ruin the tire, and maybe the rim. So what? For a couple of hundred bucks they can be replaced, and the tire probably has to be replaced anyway.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My pop used to draw pictures to explain his thought(s). As a kid when he'd say "go get me a pencil" I'd roll my eyes knowing if I found one it probably needed sharpening… so return with said pencil and more times than not whatever my dad drew really cleared things up.

The other day I found myself drawing a sketch to explain male/female pipe ends, that are called bell and spigot or tongue and groove in my line of work to a fellow who speaks 6 languages and learning English is #7 for him. He understands boy/girl and such but when we say "dudes/dames" or "lads/lassies" etc he gets those glazed over eyes. "What mean dude?" lol. So when he was recording some information into a project record the terms bell and spigot had him confused.

Latest posts