Lifepo4 maximum charging voltage 4.2V ???

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an couple of Soshine RCR123 cells 600mah, written on the side says "charge standard: 120ma : rapid 600ma to 4.2V" i have read threads that say charging lifepo4 cells to 4.2v is dangerous and really bad for the cells and that they should only be charged to 3.6v

So what is right?

John.

You can see it written on the side of the cell below.

fsh1Qwl.jpg

Last edited:

labrat

Enlightened
I bought an couple of Soshine RCR123 cells 600mah, written on the side says "charge standard: 120ma : rapid 600ma to 4.2V" i have read threads that say charging lifepo4 cells to 4.2v is dangerous and really bad for the cells and that they should only be charged to 3.6v

So what is right?

John.

But that is a LiFePo 3.0V cell, 16340?
It is protected, have a circuitry built-in to regulate charge and output voltage, so the info reflects to this cell.

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Li : FePO4 (Lithium : Iron Phosphate) cells are quite forgivable of the entire Lithium-ion battery family, they won't care if you charge them to 4.2 Volts, but in reality it's not a good idea as they are now of Lithium polymer variants as it's easy to stuff as much internal as possible into the 18650 cans, as well as ease of handling of the active electrolyte - even though they are unlikely to blow up when you overcharge them, that higher voltage charge cutout will definitely take the number on cell lifespan.

3.6 Volts charging is recommended and should be stuck with because some 18650 Li : FePO4 cells are not cheap, especially the yellow A123 18650 cells. They cost me $22 in pair and I try to take good care of them.

dennck

Newly Enlightened
Unless you want to ruin your battery, LiFePO4 should be charged to 3.6V.

The label is wrong obviously. A lazy product manager overlooked the shrink wrap tubing artwork, maybe.