Light, bright headlamp for running

msxtr

Newly Enlightened
Looks good! And 2 x cree R2 ~500 lumens is about right output for trail / off trail running.

Exactly, I normally run to off trail.

Some questions about details. Battery pack? Burning time at 500 lumens with those batteries? Weight with batteries? And about that connector plug with red&black wires, it looks like it will hit your forehead when you wear it?

I use a camcorder battery pack of Li-Ion with 6000 ma/h. I don't know exactly how much run time have with this battery, but I did a test in my home and during 4 hours the bright was to the maximum bright.

Weight? I don't have weight, already it will do :whistle:

The connector are well hold to the light, for now I don't have any problem with her.

Very nice. You will have me looking for a suitable base lights for somthing similar wiith a single mce if ever Cutters diliver. My standard training light is a 2 x Q5 with a spot and and diffuse optic, I run it off 3 14500 cells with an nflex driver. I don't normally run it flat out but if things get rough it is nice toi have lots of light avalible.

Ifor

When you have do the headlamp with the MC-E, put any photo of her, please, with beamshot, eh!!

hei mxstr - you are the sensei of headlamp mods. Outstanding!:goodjob::bow:

:);)

Thanks to all for the replies.

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr

msxtr

Newly Enlightened
Hi, well today I have weight the headlamp with the battery and the result have been...

- Battery with cable and connectors 300 grams
- My DIY light 66 grams
- Headlamp without 3AAA batteries 82 grams
- Headlamp with 3AAA batteries 121 grams

Total 300+66+82=448 grams or
300+66+121=487 grams

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr

Jagge

Newly Enlightened
I guess you have battery on your belt? Then you have well 150 -180g on your head, so it's just fine for running. I have tried all kind of setups, usually about 250g is the limit, then it's bit too heavy for my neck. So I like to keep it under 200g. Out of my two DIY P7 headlamps bigger one is about same weight as your lamp, it's slightly under 500g (200g on head, 250g belt + wire). Smaller one is 180g, all on head, including pattery pack.

I like your idea of using existing headlamp as a headband of a DIY light without breaking it. So it works as a backup light and as an extra low mode. If that isn't genious then I don't know what is.

msxtr

Newly Enlightened
I guess you have battery on your belt? Then you have well 150 -180g on your head, so it's just fine for running. I have tried all kind of setups, usually about 250g is the limit, then it's bit too heavy for my neck. So I like to keep it under 200g. Out of my two DIY P7 headlamps bigger one is about same weight as your lamp, it's slightly under 500g (200g on head, 250g belt + wire). Smaller one is 180g, all on head, including pattery pack.

I like your idea of using existing headlamp as a headband of a DIY light without breaking it. So it works as a backup light and as an extra low mode. If that isn't genious then I don't know what is.

Hi, I normally run with a little backpack with water (camelbak) and I put the battery into of her, so I only have 82+66 grams on my head ;)

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr

msxtr

Newly Enlightened
Where did you get the aluminum housing for your light? It looks very good for DIY headlamps.

Hi, it is a hammond housing, made from Canada, where you live ;)

I bought this on a local store where I live in Spain, here cost about 7€ - 8,8$ this is double of big (80/2=40mm), I cut by the middle and I did 2 DIY lights :D

Here you can see the "process" of manufacture :candle: to do yourself ;)

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr

Bandgap

Enlightened
Anyone run or bike with one of those ZebraLights?

I do.

The 90 degree beam one.

Sits on head extremely well, with infinitely adjustable angle.

Easy to switch on and off and vary.

Beam neatly fills whole field of vision evenly -

can jog on medium setting in complete dark with adjusted eyes.

can run fast on high

Turns it self off on hi setting when batts lower, but will then run for ages on med.

Could do with a little more in the middle and less on the outside for running on narrow paths between trees to avoid 'tunnel' effect.

- hence I am looking for something with a choice of beam widths as running here is on wide and narrow paths.

Was looking at Tikka XP, but having read this post now thinking about Lenser.

Steve