Light for my mom

whatswrongwithmee

Newly Enlightened
AA battery will be using a Eneloop I have left over.
$30 or less
No flashy modes.
Easy on/off
High quality of course.
As few modes as possible.
Compact/light.
80+ lumens.

Or should I just give her my Fenix RC40? JK.

ven

Flashaholic

StarHalo

Flashaholic
In my experience, older folks tend not to do well with any modes at all; basic on/off simplicity is usually the safe bet. And older eyes appreciate more lumens, so more output than usual for an EDC is fine. Taking all that into account, the single-mode 225 lumen MiniMag PRO is ~$20 at numerous stores near you.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your mum is not that old something decent like Fenix E12 or my personal choice the Eagletac D25A clicky would suit as they have simple UI,if she is gathering in the years something straight forward with one mode from a shed would be my advice.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on MiniMag Pro. Just what I got my 78 year old mother. She thinks its "the cats meow". Had a Sunwayman Dolphin I was going to give her cause she loves Dolphins. She was way too confused with the UI. Got her the Mini Mag and she was very happy.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 82 year old Mother wanted more brightness than the bluish cheapo she got at a nearby store. The green tint on the 2013 ZebraLight SC52 did not bother her a bit (I did not point it out). Told her to use only lithium primaries. She knows how to hold the switch down for three different levels, then releases at the desired level. I would not expect her to recharge batteries and certainly would not offer Li-Ion. She loves the brightness. After putting it in a 'safe place', it was lost for a few months but is back in her hands. When traveling, she uses the low level to read in bed at night. The ZL is mounted on a Nite-Ize headstrap for hands free use, and easier purchase in hand, greatly lessening the chance of dropping.

Would I have bought her one? Probably not; but I had it and disliked the tint for everyday use.

Just like the old 2 AA OLight I gave my 4 year old son: Equipped with used Alkalines and the fact that he does not know how to rotate the head to get the brighter levels (which don't work anyways because of the near depleted alkalines), it is very good for him and teaches him illumination/responsibility fundamentals. When he gets older, I'll teach him the high levels and proper NiMH management.

Maybe you have something around the house...

cistallus

Enlightened
I got my Mom one of the "Energizer LED 2 in 1 Handheld Flashlight and Area Light with Light Fusion Technology", around $20, 4AA, she loves it.

Before that I got her a simple cheap 2AA LED light by Eveready or similar, she liked it but likes the new one much more.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix E11
or Fenix E25 (old version 187 lumens)
Easy to use, robust and economic.