Light Weight Ultrabook?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Sounds like we had similar times in the 80's. MBA battery replacement goes like so:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+11-Inch+Early+2014+Battery+Replacement/24735

$110 plus tools:

http://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/MacBook-Air-11-Inch-Mid-2013-Early-2014-Battery/IF108-045-1

Not a casual swap but not a big deal, either.

At $899, you could be on your 3rd battery before breaking $1200 (plus software)

$899 + windows + bootcamp + office. The price is more than UB since I already own office, wouldn't need bootcamp, and windows comes with an UB. I'll check back again in a year.

Hope business going great at Oveready. Thanks for the help here.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bootcamp is free. You should be able to re-use your Office license. Windows - yeah you'd need a new license. Battery life on the MBA is 9 hours now. Good longevity too with Apple batteries. My MBP 13" has over 500 cycles in about 2 years and health still showing over 90%. If you wait another year the MBA 11" Retina will likely be available - that would be a huge reason for me to wait.

I'm curious. I haven't seen the Surface mentioned. I assume the touch screen rules it out for you though.

Samsung has some very nice machines as well. I do realize they are more in line with what you have at the moment.

UB is a huge area in laptops right now although it is competing with a very strong tablet market. For many people the tablet is more than enough for what they need a computer to do. Intel is doing a great job in coming out with more power friendly chipsets. I am sure if you can wait one more year your selection will only be better.

recDNA

Flashaholic
No, i like touch screen very much. It is convertibles and tablets I don't like. The heavy screen and light keyboard requiring a cheesy kickstand isn't to my liking. Tablets are fine for games and reading but I need to be sure what I mean to type is what I DO type at work. Windows 8.x without a touchscreen seems silly to me. I use w7 on my alienware desktop.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, i like touch screen very much. It is convertibles and tablets I don't like. The heavy screen and light keyboard requiring a cheesy kickstand isn't to my liking. Tablets are fine for games and reading but I need to be sure what I mean to type is what I DO type at work. Windows 8.x without a touchscreen seems silly to me. I use w7 on my alienware desktop.

Tablets can do a lot more than play games and reading and they are the future for hand held computing.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The thing is I'm not the future of computing. I like ultrabooks that open and stay open on their own with keys that go up and down. Although I root my phones and love messing with all kinds of tech my typing skills, weak at the best of times, are brutal on tablets. So much easier to just lift the lid and type than mess with convertible keyboards or cheesy keypads. The funny thing is some of them are heavier than ultrabooks.

I'm glad you like tablets. They well may be the future of computing and do have some uses even in business sector. My needs would best be served by a light weight ultrabook the likes of which has yet to be built.

Now if the surface pro 3 were priced like a google netbook I might make more effort. To tolerate its limitations... But I would still be unhappy with it.

I'm just trying to make my briefcase a little lighter so the shoulder strap doesn't make a permanent groove on my clavicle.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing is I'm not the future of computing. I like ultrabooks that open and stay open on their own with keys that go up and down. Although I root my phones and love messing with all kinds of tech my typing skills, weak at the best of times, are brutal on tablets. So much easier to just lift the lid and type than mess with convertible keyboards or cheesy keypads. The funny thing is some of them are heavier than ultrabooks.

I'm glad you like tablets. They well may be the future of computing and do have some uses even in business sector. My needs would best be served by a light weight ultrabook the likes of which has yet to be built.

Now if the surface pro 3 were priced like a google netbook I might make more effort. To tolerate its limitations... But I would still be unhappy with it.

I'm just trying to make my briefcase a little lighter so the shoulder strap doesn't make a permanent groove on my clavicle.

Perhaps there is one thing you could try if such a thing exists in your country.In the UK we have companies that buy ex company computers,they wipe them completely clean and sell them on again for a fraction of a new price and most come with a warranty.Some sell new only and just had a quick look.

This is new.

[h=1]Samsung NP540U3C-A02UK Intel Core i3 1.8GHz UltraBook 13.3" HD Touch Screen 6GB 500GB Windows 8[/h]
Bigger screen but only just.

Priced at £470 including VAT

jmac30

Newly Enlightened
Any interest in the asus aspire s7 a little heavier than your target weight but it feels light and has superb build quality - just bought one and it is fantastic! Not a fan of win 8.1 other than that the hardware is great! Good luck in your search

recDNA

Flashaholic
Thanks for that will bear that in mind when the world wide sales force of our company switch over in September.:shakehead

I'm not a salesman and active x doesn't work on an ipad. I was speaking of my work, not yours. Mac air sounds best but then I have to buy windows and boot camp for active x content that I need.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a salesman and active x doesn't work on an ipad. I was speaking of my work, not yours. Mac air sounds best but then I have to buy windows and boot camp for active x content that I need.

And i was replying to the poster who mentioned ipad for no reason i can see necessary as the thread is about your Ultrabook needs and not my needs hence the icon i placed.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I forgot it wasn't my post! LOL I also have 2 iPads that I use for web surfing and playing around but I need excel with macros, active x, and a lot of stuff that wouldn't work on an ipad. I wish active x worked in osx!

Dingle1911

Enlightened
The Toshiba Protege Z30 specs say the weight starts at 2.6lbs.

I have a Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus which weighs 3 lbs. For me it is very light a portable. It is the lightest laptop I have ever owned. The battery life is excellent. I know that it is not user replaceable, to account for that I purchased the Best Buy Geek Squad plan which includes a one time battery replacement. I recommend it, but I am not sure if it is light enough for you.​

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Dell XPS 11. I've used one and considering getting one myself. They are super thin.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Close! I ended up buying Dell Venue 8. Already had a bt keyboard and mouse. Still keeping an eye out for. a. light ultrabook though. The tablet is just a stop. gap. for. now. I gave up looking for an ultrabook thT was light enough but there will be one in the next couple of years. In the meanwhile the dv8 is very light and it easily makes it through the time I need so I don't have to carry a power cord in my brief case any more.

I hope. people will. continue to update this thread as more ultra light ultrabooks are produced. I hope the genre doesn't get replaced by convertibles and tablets.

Last edited:

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only gotten to play with surface 2 pro for a few days, but I liked it. Surface 3 maybe will be even better, I hope.

I've played with XPS 13", fairly lightweight, but the attached keyboard makes some gestures hard to do without hitting a key on the keyboard, and the gestures by default are also active on touchpad, making navigation a bit more difficult for someone like me who is used to the trackpad only moving the cursor and doing a click if you tap it.

System was fairly light, though it was pretty solid, and heavier than I was expecting. Maybe next MS OS will make overall experience with tablet style laptop replacements and ultrabooks better, as most of the features that I didn't like were features of the OS, not the hardware.