Lights with a metal tail switch

syga

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm looking for a shirt pocket sized light with a metal tail switch. The reason I want metal is because I work with automotive fluids, oil, brake fluid. These fluids swell and tear the rubber tail switches after a short while. Not looking for a twist switch like a maglite.

The only one I can find is the Lumitop IYP365 that has a metal tail switch. But just wondering if there are any others that fit my requirement.

Thanks.

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only ones I can think of offhand are the Lumentop Tool Titanium in AAA and AA, some versions of the Reylight Pinapple in AAA and AA, and the Copper and Current Hinton in AA.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The info for Fenix LD05 V2.0 (2xAAA) and LD02 V2.0 (1xAAA) both indicate a stainless steel tail switch actuator. They may or may not be of interest to you.

LEDphile

Enlightened
Note that the tailswitches without a rubber boot are either unsealed, or sealed with internal gaskets or o-rings (usually rubber), so their resistance to oils may not be that much higher than the rubber-booted versions.

You may be better off looking for something where the rubber parts can be easily replaced

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
One light I consider a true "shirt pocket" light which has a switch actuator boot with an easily orderable part number is the Streamlight Microstream. That's probably what I'd go with if the replaceable / orderable boot is desired. See info under 'Documentation' ('Info Sheet') for part number. Other models may offer the same.

I work amongst a host of industrial equipment / machinery with hydraulic systems everywhere, and hydraulic oil is on practically everything I touch (as well as other industrial equipment fluids), but oddly none of the boots on my SL Strions (Incan or LED) has ever been affected by that stuff. Perhaps all "rubber" is not created equal:). Other fluids however are possibly a different animal. I've never replaced a 'switch boot' on a flashlight (even after years of exposure to that stuff), but I may just be lucky.

boo5ted

Enlightened
The only ones I can think of offhand are the Lumentop Tool Titanium in AAA and AA, some versions of the Reylight Pinapple in AAA and AA, and the Copper and Current Hinton in AA.
I've never seen a Tool AA with a metal tail switch, only the AAA version. I've had plenty of v1 and v2 and they all have been a rubber clicky tail switch. IIRC Drop had a version that looked like the Tool AA with a metal switch but it was just a copy, not made by Lumintop.

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stand corrected on the AA Tool. I hope others will report their experience regarding corrosive fluids and the switch boots on their lights.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I hope others will report their experience regarding corrosive fluids and the switch boots on their lights.

Well, the OP already did, and I have no doubt that they are experiencing the degradation they claim is occurring, and are now looking for the best way to eliminate / avoid the problem. I think that's the starting point.

I might be interested in the specific lights they've been using, but that's just a curiosity of mine. I've bought a number of products with grossly inferior plastic and rubber materials, some of which literally degraded new in the packaging - thus my comment about all 'rubber' not being created equal.

The earlier thought that simply replacing degraded boots (instead of finding a metal actuator) might be the best approach may in fact be the best way to go.

Last edited:

Espionage Studio

Enlightened
A lot of my lights have what appear to be silicone boots, not sure if that would have any advantage in the OP's situation.

technisol

Newly Enlightened
OP,

I figure that sometimes the best way to solve a problem is to turn it on it's tail... According to a little quick Googling, Nitrile Rubber is hydraulic fluid resistant.

So it looks like you want either Nitrile O-rings (readily available for hydraulics apps) or a finger from a nitrile glove and maybe a rubber band, or If I may be so bold, some Nitrile condoms!

It's a thought, hope it helps.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
My kr4 has a metal tail switch, as well as ar coated glass lens over quad tir, so it should be fine even if you drop it into an oil drain tray