Lightwave 4000

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I have a problem with my LW4000. When I screw on the top, it seems to lockup and is very hard to unscrew. You have to unscrew it to change the batteries. It like locks up on the treads. Anyway I thought I would get smart and just add another O-Ring to fix the problem. It seemed to cure the locking problem BUT with the thickness of the O-Ring the flashlight won't turn on. Oh well I tried... I have been stuffing rubber bands between the o-ring and that helps, it just looks bad...
If anyone has any ideas please let me know.. I like the flashlight, I'm just trying to get passed this little thing...
Thanks,
Lew

mad.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lew:
I have a problem with my LW4000. When I screw on the top, it seems to lockup and is very hard to unscrew. You have to unscrew it to change the batteries. It like locks up on the treads<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This almost sounds like a manufacturing defect. I'd send it back for a warranty replacement, and see if the new unit behaves a bit better.

The one I tested didn't do anything like this during the time I had it. But if it's a problem that crops up over time, I didn't stand a chance of detecting it because it was a loaner.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Just a stupid guess of mine... the threads aren't finished. Like if you screw a nut to the bottom of a bolt thead, it locks up. I thought about sending it back but was advised they didn't have any in stock.

Another question. The LW4000 doesn't have a lens that covers the LEDS. Is there a reason for that? I don't know anything about these things but to me it would seem a lens would help keep the leds clean.

Cheers,
Lew

WarrenI

Newly Enlightened
Hey Lew; Check out where front section of the light meets the body section. At the bottom of base section that is hidden by the overlap of the front section, you will notice what seems to be a plastic lip that goes snug on the edge of the overlap. Check this out carefully as what it seems to be plastic, is really an O-ring. I'm not sure if it is made out of rubber or a type of plastic. It fits so snug under the overlap, that it has a square edge to it. If you don't mind in loosing some waterproofing in order to make the sections easy to unscrew, you may want to remove this. I think this give the LW4000 some resistance to water leakage. If you want to keep the waterproofing intact, you could try wrapping one layer of plumbers Teflon tape around this area. I don't think the threads are the problem, but it is this tight fitting O-ring...

As for me, I don't screw the section together very tightly. Luckily, I have never needed to change my batteries yet (getting to 50 hours of run time), but I did open it for inspection and a brief battery swap to see if I lost a lot of light at around 40 hours. As I may have lost some light, it still looked the same at 40 feet, so I placed the original batteries back. If the sections are screwed on too tight, with a little elbow grease (and maybe with the help of rubber jar cover grips or gloves), the section should be able to be removed...

About the LEDs being exposed, most LED flashlights don't have a lens in front of the LEDs. Unless they need to focus the beam, they would rather have the beam be focused by the LEDs. This would give the beam much less distortion. Most beam distortion are caused by reflectors, lens, and the glass of the bulb. The beauty of LED lights is that many of these components are removed, which results in a much more even beam with minimal distortion. But, one of the biggest drawbacks is that this does not give the beam to have much of a throw. LEDs are not noted to hit targets far with a bright beam. This is the tradeoffs. Don't worry about cleaning the LEDs, just use a cotton swab around the sides. They are rugged as I have dropped my LW4000 from the top of a six foot ladder to a concrete floor while it was on (very neat effect as it was falling), and it survived without a bump or scratch. I did notice that the top "D" battery did get it's top bumped in after the fall, but it is still working and the contact point on the light did not show any damage (one tough cookie)...

Latest posts