Liions too dangerous for me?

rockz4532

Enlightened
my new G2 with R2 dropin is sucking batteries dry, so i want to get some 17500s to power it. Ive heard that batteries explode if charged too long or charged backwards etc. this has turned me off from using rechargeables. can someone recommend a charger, and or batteries that would be the safest for me? also i do not want to pay much, so keep it under 30 bucks.
Thanks! - Brian

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Safest" with a $30 limit isn't going to work too well.

I don't use Li-ion batteries so I'm just rehashing the CPF mantra here.

If money was no object, Li-ions from AW in the MarketPlace and the Pila IBC charger would be the absolute best and safest way to go.

As a minimum you should only use protected Li-ion cells.

You could go with the AW cells, but if you get 2 you'll eat up most of your budget.

As for a lower cost safe charger, that's a subject I'll let the experts handle.

EDIT: Take a look for posts by mdocod and LuxLuthor regarding "Li-ion" cells (various cell types get lumped into the Li-ion category).

Here is a thread with some info regarding batteries and safety.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/217133

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
my new G2 with R2 dropin is sucking batteries dry, so i want to get some 17500s to power it. Ive heard that batteries explode if charged too long or charged backwards etc. this has turned me off from using rechargeables. can someone recommend a charger, and or batteries that would be the safest for me? also i do not want to pay much, so keep it under 30 bucks.
Thanks! - Brian

I've read some of your posts, you're not an idiot. You can handle the cells without blowing yourself up, just save up and buy good quality components. Really if I can manage it for over a year and nothing bad happened then anyone can! :crazy:

Pila IBC charger and AW protected cells are the best. In a G2 you need 2 RCR123's(may be too much voltage) or 1 17650(may not be enough voltage).
Specific drop-in voltage range info would help decide.

Last edited:

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is one of the drop ins from DX that uses the "kenan" board, it will only achieve full brightness with 2 RCR123's instead of the 17500. It probably will disapoint you at the lower voltage.

However, there has been concern with running the more high powered modules like these in a G2, that is a nitrolon light isn't it? So, running at 6-8.2 volts could cause heat problems.

But, it sounds like you have already been using your drop in from 2 primaries, so results should be about the same as what you are getting now. But, with decreased runtime.

I see you already have the battery and charger recomendations in hand so I don't need to comment on that.

rockz4532

Enlightened
Ok thinking about my choices, i am thinking of the Nano charger and 2 RCR123a's (AW), will the nano charger shut off when it is charged, so when i forget to take the batts out, it wont go :poof: on me? I once left a pair of Nimhs on the charger for more than a week, so this feature is a must.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't the nano a single bay charger? If you are going to order direct from AW you might want to look at the WF-139 and a pair of charging spacers, or see if he still carries the WF-138. The 138 is a neat little package, and you will have the option of charging liFePO4. And you won't need spacers.

But, the 139 leaves you open in the future for cells up to 18650.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
whats wrong with a single cell charger? im only going to charge every 10 days or so

Nothing is wrong with it. I just was thinking if you are using them in the G2 you would want to charge them both at once. But there is certainly no reason not to charge them one at a time.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pila IBC charger is currently the best consumer level Li-ion charger available, bit it is also quite expensive.
People have had decent results with the later versions of the Ultrafire WF-139 noted in AWs threads.

There will be a Pila IBC group buy occurring shortly.
Watch the Group Buy section over in the marketplace.

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion, if you question whether you can use li-ions or not, you simply shouldn't.

Forgetfulness is pretty dangerous, and you might forget which cell is fresh, etc.

Cemoi

Enlightened
There will be a Pila IBC group buy occurring shortly.
Watch the Group Buy section over in the marketplace.
Thanks for the advice.
In the meantime, an URL where I can get information about this charger would be welcome :thanks:

Cemoi

Enlightened
I hope this helps a little bit.
Thanks David, very interesting.
I'm a bit disappointed though, because when I read Black Rose saying " The Pila IBC charger is currently the best consumer level Li-ion charger available, bit it is also quite expensive" I expected a C9000 or BC900-like charger, i.e. with a display reporting the charge status (voltage at least).
Does this exist for Li-Ion batteries?

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
To get any of the feedback you want in a lithium charger you will need an expensive hobby charger. They are primarily designed for packs, but can be used for single cells. You can find some info on them from Silverfox and some of the other real battery gurus, but expect prices upwards of 150$ or so. There may be some a little cheaper that don't include a power supply, but that is a whole nother problem. Probably not what you are in the market for.