Linkbait, stolen images, false claims

nbp

Flashaholic
Re: Just came across this ad, it's terrible what people will believe.

Merging this with a similar running thread.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

"Do you have a family to protect?
Do you ever walk alone by yourself at night?
If a burglar were to break into your home tonight, would you be prepared?
If you're like us, the safety of you and your family is probably your #1 concern. So what do you do to keep them safe? Buy a big safe car, install a home alarm system, buy a gun?"

Do you have a family to protect?

Yes!

Do you ever walk alone by yourself at night?

Yes!

If a burglar were to break into your home tonight, would you be prepared?

Yes!

LGT

Enlightened

A co-worker just bought three of them. He texted me so proud that he just bought some really nice LED'S.
After he told me it was a shadowhawk, I begged him to cancel that order, just trust me, tell me what you want to spend and what you're going to use the light for, I'll find something much better then those.
He didn't, and now has three lights worth maybe ten bucks.

cmd

Newly Enlightened

Angryfox - just saw the banner ad here. What a blatant knockoff of Olight, just disgusting. CPF, shame on you for taking their money.

I know, not stolen images or linkbait, but definitely stolen designs.
http://www.angryfoxlight.com/ <-- careful, the site is blocked at my work due to security issues.

Ah well, just another Chinese copycat trying to make a buck off of another's genuine innovations.

Last edited:

CivilGear

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I've been seeing this a lot , even being discussed in non flashlight groups, man these ads are getting around! Don't be led astray!!!

markr6

Flashaholic
Yes it should be banned!! :crackup: After clicking on the banner, it shows beamshot photos of most likely 4x18650 throwers, all different models.

banned_flashlight.jpg

markr6

Flashaholic
I agree on banning this light. No one should be allowed to sell as shittie junk as one of these lights.
On the Bay, there're $10, shipped.

I think the copy said something like "20,000 sold just last month!" Come on. I'd hate them for get even a profit of $1 for selling trash.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always twitch when I see something along the lines of "military grade lights now available to the public."

Dude, the 6P has been around for years...

The Fulton anglehead longer than that.

Yeah, the only things these lights have in common with top o the line lights used by the military, is that they all hold batteries of some sort, and shoot some light out one end or the other. Aside from that, they don't have much in common. I bet some of these lights are advertised with 22,000mah Superfire brand 18650s, so that's something....Lol

Last edited:

Esperologist

Newly Enlightened
I think the copy said something like "20,000 sold just last month!" Come on. I'd hate them for get even a profit of $1 for selling trash.
Yeah, common marketing strategy that makes me immediately disregard the product.
It's like Win10, "millions switched, so you should to!" Really? How many switched back right away and how many still want to go back to Win7 but can't figure out how?
And Win10 is just like those sites... just trying to draw people in so they can get all their data. (Okay, Win10 isn't out to steal our money and such, but it is trying to eat up our internet data which costs money. It also takes Google's account tracking for focused marketing to the next level, by tracking everything instead of just what we search, what sites we visit and how long we visit them.)

My new Olight i3s-EOS Cu = brassy (AAA) light arrived today.

I research all flashlight purchases thoroughly, and never purchase impulsively.

So imagine my shock & disappointment when it arrived with no magnet.

I went back to two different websites and can no longer find the wording about the advertised tail magnet-- that was one key factor leading me to spend $24.95 for this light.

While this light is impressive and beautiful, I don't know whether to return it, or keep it, because of my fondness for AAA lights with magnets (d25aaa; lumintop tool, etc.)

What would you do if you purchased a light only to find one of its formerly described features missing from websites/dealers who were selling it?

Working at a reseller, I actually see this more than I would like. A new flashlight gets released and I look at the stats and order it in and put it up on our site. Then, a few weeks later I check the manufacturer's listing and they've updated the data from the estimated values to the actual (usually lower) values for output, run time, PBI and such.
Although, when it comes to magnets... we had the opposite happen to us. We got in the product and discovered the tail cap had a magnet but found no mention on the manufacturer's site until the model was upgraded again.
I mean... these are 'accidental' false claims but it is annoying trying to determine if a new release is worth it when I know the brand will release only estimates early on without saying they are estimates. Of course, now we are having situations where we are expected to order new models with next to no data provided.

Stolen images for marketing... I should consider that. Throw some images online with our branding embedded in them and tag them up so the bots come and scoop them up. See what they do then!

Side note: Norton blocked most of those links to the adverts - malicious software wanting my stuffs.

harro

Enlightened
Yes it should be banned!! :crackup: After clicking on the banner, it shows beamshot photos of most likely 4x18650 throwers, all different models.

banned_flashlight.jpg

We're getting bombarded in Aus. as well, with these ads. A family member asked if they were any good, and were thinking of buying one. I suggested that if they were interested in a light, to have a chat with me, and we'd try to work out what sort of light would best suit their needs, from the QUALITY Chinese brands that we all know, and buy/use.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
................... I suggested that if they were interested in a light, to have a chat with me, and we'd try to work out what sort of light would best suit their needs, from ...................

harro, my dear fello,

Can you really convert a guy? (Gal) to appreciate lights?

Let me know ...

Poppy

Flashaholic
harro, my dear fello,

Can you really convert a guy? (Gal) to appreciate lights?

Let me know ...
It is not so much an issue with CONVERTING them as it is educating them.
The question was asked by a family member who respected his knowledge and opinion.
All he can do is educate them. After they have the knowledge, it is up to them to decide if quality is important to them, when purchasing a flashlight.

My son asked me the same, or similar question.
He figured it was an internet exaggeration, but wanted to be sure.

The ads are enticing!

harro

Enlightened
lightlover and Poppy, I know theres a way to stick your comments in quote boxes, in the same post, but it eludes my old, worn out brain right at this moment ( LOL )'

I'm going to do my darndest to convert them ( even though I know the reality of it all { haha, i'm THAT one with all the flashlights } ), but, also try to steer them in the right direction re. a general purpose, round the house light, that they're not going to get ripped off for, when they buy. IE; get value for their $$$. May have to say to them also, that owning a good light wont prevent a natural disaster.....

:whistle:

I'd love to be able to convert a family member into a flashaholic.
Those ads ARE enticing to people who don't know any better ( lay flashlight person ).

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just noticed this Thurnite ripoff: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBKWBU8/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Then look at the second to last photo - the bottom left in the collage. I believe that is one from KJ75...guessing he didn't review this light and provide that photo.

You should PM him to make sure he is aware an image of his might be stolen. It's up to him whether to take action, such as emailing Amazon and/or the seller a takedown notice for the image.