LiPo power sources

C

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

My son and I have been playing around with RC cars lately, and amazingly enough, I started using Lithium Polymer packs with my truck for the added punch and more runtime.

As with lithium ion cells there are dangers, but just about all of those dangers are rooted in the improper charging of the packs.

With the li-ion unprotected cells that we are used to, you have to watch it when running two cells in series. An imbalance could be trouble.

With this LiPo pack that I'm running...well, let me start like this.

It is an 8000mAh pack. It is a 2S4P pack rated at 7.4v. It is capable of an 80A continous discharge rate with bursts of up to 144A for 10 seconds.

I'm running a brushless 5.5 turn motor in my stadium truck and I'm getting around 30 minutes of runtime. According to the manufacturer of my motor setup, it draws between 60 and 100 amps during "normal" use. That's a lot of power on tap. When running it in my truck, the battery doesn't even get warm.

The kicker is that you can charge LiPo packs at a 1C rate (1X the capacity of the pack), so since I have a charger that is capable of an 8A charge rate, my battery charges in an hour.

I really don't have a point to this post. I'm just looking for comments. Once I get my mill rig going, I'm going to build a serious K2 based light around one of these.