LiteFlux LF2XT Review (1xAAA) - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is more a question of user preference than anything else. The D10 always comes back on at the same level you had when you switched it off. From the way you describe it, the LiteFlux violates this basic principle: it's on max, you switch off, then back on again a moment later and it's on a different setting. Fair enough for those who like that sort of thing - but I'll stick with the D10 thanks.
Both the LF2XT & LF3XT will mimic a D10. Turn on a D10. Ramp it up to max. Turn it Off. Turn it back On. It comes back On at max. Do this with the LiteFlux's and it will do the same thing. Where ever you ramp to from turn On, and then turn Off, they come back On at that level, just like a D/EX10.

It's just that the LiteFlux's have the ability to remember a user setting, if you so choose, by using the shortcuts to Hi or Lo for a quick change in output. Usually only needed temporarily. That way, your most used setting is retained for the next time you use your light. You have the best of two worlds, so to speak, and all that is needed is understanding how it works and how you want the light to act in that circumstance.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Ok, I've run mine for a while and I paid attention to the ODP. It does 18 flashes (a couple of times I counted 17, and I'm quite sure I didn't loose the 18th flash) and then it turned off. Every time I turned it on again and checked the battery voltage, so I knew it started flashing at aound 1.1 volt and continued up to 0.76 (here I stopped). Is this the correct behavior of the ODP?
That sounds believable to me, although haven't sat down to measure it on my two samples. I suspect it is likely to be a bit variable from one light to another, since it is presumably triggered by a voltage level

This is more a question of user preference than anything else. The D10 always comes back on at the same level you had when you switched it off. From the way you describe it, the LiteFlux violates this basic principle: it's on max, you switch off, then back on again a moment later and it's on a different setting. Fair enough for those who like that sort of thing - but I'll stick with the D10 thanks.
Again, to be fair - this was a problem on earlier batches but has long since been fixed. If you buy a D10 or EX10 now, it will ramp as expected.
I've revised the UI description text above. Most of this was taken from my LF3XT review, when the ramp issue was still present on the D10/EX10. Indeed, I was unaware this had been corrected - the last D10 I bought new in February still had the ramp direction retention issue. Glad to hear they fixed it.

I agree that the difference in how the memory feature works upon turn off/on is entirely a question of user preference. But the LF2XT/LF3XT does feature an improvement in that the shortcut keys are toggles to-and-from the user defined level to Max/Min. There was certainly a lot of complaining around here about the lack of retention of the custom user mode level once a shortcut was used in the D10/EX10.

But this is separate from how the lights retain the last setting, and there are significant differences there. I realize this may be confusing for those who don't have both lights, so let me give three situations that may help people choose what they prefer.

1. Turn on the light, ramp to your desired level, turn off the light. When you turn back on, you are at the level you left it when you shut off (i.e. user defined) - for both the D10/EX10 or the LF2XT/LF3XT

2. Now turn off/on the light again, jump to max output (click, press-hold), turn off the light. When you turn back on, you are at the original user defined level in step #1 (LF3XT/LF3XT) or at Max brightness (D10/EX10).

3. Now turn off/on the light again, jump to Min output (double click), ramp up to a higher level, turn off the light. When you turn back on, you are again at the original user defined level from #1 (LF3XT/LF3XT) or at the level you turned off the light (D10/EX10).

The key point here is that the LF2XT/LF3XT disregards any level set after using a shortcut jump. Unless of course you toggle back to the user defined level first, and ramp from there (that will then be retained). I find this takes some getting used to - personally, I would prefer that memory kicked in if I instigated a ramp after using a shortcut. :shrug:

But again, how the memory is implemented is separate from the fact that you won't erase your custom set level by using a shortcut on LiteFlux like you will on the NiteCore.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Thanks for the clarification, Selfbuilt.

3. Now turn off/on the light again, jump to Min output (double click), ramp up to a higher level, turn off the light. When you turn back on, you are again at the original user defined level from #1 (LF3XT/LF3XT)
That's the one that would drive me nuts, I think. With the D10, I'm quite used to jumping to max and then ramping down a little bit to set a high-ish level or jumping to min and ramping up if I want a fairly low level. Having the light forget that and go back to some previous level would be really annoying.

Just makes life more complicated - you have to remember how you got to a particular level. Still, we do all have different preferences and will use the lights in different situations, so it's good that the manufacturers give us such a wide range of choices.

Last edited:

juplin

Enlightened
Ok, I've run mine for a while and I paid attention to the ODP. It does 18 flashes (a couple of times I counted 17, and I'm quite sure I didn't loose the 18th flash) and then it turned off. Every time I turned it on again and checked the battery voltage, so I knew it started flashing at aound 1.1 volt and continued up to 0.76 (here I stopped). Is this the correct behavior of the ODP?
This 18 flashes should be 3 warning flashes at 1.0V low battery voltage (under load) immediately followed by 15 flashes at 0.8V overdischarge protection voltage under load.
The ODP algorithm of LF2XT can be described as:
1. If the battery voltage under load reaches low battery warning voltage of 1.0 V for NiMh or 3.1V for 10440 Li-ion, the warning signals of 3 flashes will be generated every 35 seconds.
2. If the battery voltage under load reaches overdischarge protection voltage of 0.8 V for NiMh or 2.8V for 10440 Li-ion, 15 flashes will be generated before forced turning-off.
3. There is no mandatory interval between 3 flashes of low voltage warning and 15 flashes of overdischarge protection.

If the internal resistance of the NiHN battery is too large, the discharge period from 1.0 V under load to 0.8V under load will be so short that 3 flashes of low voltage warning will be immediately followed by 15 flashes of overdischarge protection.

While new AAA eneloop with excellent health status is used for OPD testing, you will experience several separate 3 warning flashes in two or three minutes before final 15 flashes of overdischarge protection.

Similar situation with respect to internal resistance of battery will also apply to 10440 Li-ion.

HighLumens

Enlightened
This 18 flashes should be 3 warning flashes at 1.0V low battery voltage (under load) immediately followed by 15 flashes at 0.8V overdischarge protection voltage under load.
The ODP algorithm of LF2XT can be described as:
1. If the battery voltage under load reaches low battery warning voltage of 1.0 V for NiMh or 3.1V for 10440 Li-ion, the warning signals of 3 flashes will be generated every 35 seconds.
2. If the battery voltage under load reaches overdischarge protection voltage of 0.8 V for NiMh or 2.8V for 10440 Li-ion, 15 flashes will be generated before forced turning-off.
3. There is no mandatory interval between 3 flashes of low voltage warning and 15 flashes of overdischarge protection.

If the internal resistance of the NiHN battery is too large, the discharge period from 1.0 V under load to 0.8V under load will be so short that 3 flashes of low voltage warning will be immediately followed by 15 flashes of overdischarge protection.

While new AAA eneloop with excellent health status is used for OPD testing, you will experience several separate 3 warning flashes in two or three minutes before final 15 flashes of overdischarge protection.

Similar situation with respect to internal resistance of battery will also apply to 10440 Li-ion.

I' am using brand new original Eneloop (they have been charged and discharged once in a proper way). Perhaps it's that I ran it quite heavy (50 and 100% continously) so the 18 flashes were actually 3+15flashes...

I'll repeat the discharge, this time at 10% and I hope I'll se the 3 flashes every 35 seconds while the LF stays on. I just have to wait 8 hours :whistle:

:popcorn:

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Funny. I just noticed the flashing on mine. Could have sworn the ODP was turned off. I must have accidentally toggled it on at some time. Thought my light was having a seizure.

Geoff

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I' am using brand new original Eneloop (they have been charged and discharged once in a proper way). Perhaps it's that I ran it quite heavy (50 and 100% continously) so the 18 flashes were actually 3+15flashes...
I just tried the ODP on a nearly depleted regular alkaline and L92 lithium cell running on Max, and both times there was no discernable gap between the 3 and 15 flashes before shut-down (i.e. looked like 18 continuous).

But when I let the alkaline cell recover for a few secs and turned it back on Min, there was about ~30 secs between the initial 3 flashes and the later 15.

So it is likely dependent on battery chemistries and how hard you are driving the light at the time.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we all appreciate the incredible amount of extremely high quality work that selfbuilt contributes to CPF. Recently, with this LF2XT review and others (Quarks, Avenger GX, etc.), he has been working at such a pace that I don't know how he sleeps! :tired:

He not only posts his terrific reviews, but then sticks around and addresses all the many follow-up comments and questions---incredible! :clap:

So, I just made a donation to selfbult's battery fund, which can be found in his sigline, or here: http://www.sliderule.ca/cpf.htm
I hope my CPF brothers will join me in chipping in---selfbuilt is a precious resource around here, and the least we can do is keep him loaded with cells! :D

Thanks.

HighLumens

Enlightened
I'll repeat the discharge, this time at 10% and I hope I'll se the 3 flashes every 35 seconds while the LF stays on. I just have to wait 8 hours :whistle:

:popcorn:

But when I let the alkaline cell recover for a few secs and turned it back on Min, there was about ~30 secs between the initial 3 flashes and the later 15.
I did the same: I didn't want to run down a fully charged Eneloop and wait so much, so I used an already almost discharged cell (old ni-mh 600 mAh:barf:).

Running the LF at 10% it still did 18 flashes.
Running it at Min I got something similar to the 3 advertised flashes every 35 seconds and finally 15 (or 18? sorry I don't recall it :oops:). I say something similar because I actually got this: Costant On->Off->On->Off->On->Off->Costant On. I would call them 2 flashes, not 3!

Anyway, as soon as I disharge the Eneloop I'll set it to 10% looking for 3 flashes every 35 seconds and if I don't get them I' ll set it to Min. I'll try to record everything but I can't assure it.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
So, I just made a donation to selfbult's battery fund, which can be found in his sigline, or here: http://www.sliderule.ca/cpf.htm
I hope my CPF brothers will join me in chipping in---selfbuilt is a precious resource around here, and the least we can do is keep him loaded with cells! :D
Thanks Andrew - appreciate the support!

FYI, I thought I'd share a pic of my spent battery bucket (old kitty litter container in my garage ;)). Not the best way to store things, admitedly - this is about a six month supply, as I haven't made it to the recycling centre in awhile. :eek:

batteries001.jpg

Normally you'd only see Duracell alkalines, Energizer L91/L92 lithiums, and Duracell and Surefire CR123As in there, but I've been experimenting with other brands of CR123A for my battery round-up comparisons:

CR123A Comparison Review: 4Sevens, Titanium Innovations, Tenergy, Surefire, Duracell
Quick CR123A and AA Battery Shoot-out Comparison

Some surprisingly good performers out there ...

juplin

Enlightened
Just checked the ODP using 10440 it did the 18 flashes then off,I checked the battery voltage it read 3.7v should this be lower? :shrug:
3.7V resting voltage after forced shut-down implies high internal resistance of this 10440.
My testing showed resting voltage 15 minutes after forced shut-down would be 3.2V ~ 3.6V, most likely 3.3V ~ 3.5V, for new DLG 10440.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
selfbuilt, that is quite a bucket of dead cells! If I walked into my local Radio Shack, where I from time to time recycle a few odd cells, with a bucketload like that, they would probably alert the FBI! :eek:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, thats a lot of batteries!

I assume they have all been drained of as much energy as possible by various lights?

Crenshaw

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
selfbuilt, that is quite a bucket of dead cells! If I walked into my local Radio Shack, where I from time to time recycle a few odd cells, with a bucketload like that, they would probably alert the FBI! :eek:
wow, thats a lot of batteries!
I assume they have all been drained of as much energy as possible by various lights?
No visits from the RCMP yet (our FBI equivalent ;)). The battery recycling depot is part of the hazardous material drop-off site at our local dump, so they don't bat an eyelash at me. As you might imagine, they are pretty inured in that position (i.e. you should see what everyone else drops off!). :rolleyes:

But that's also why so many dead cells have built up, since I don't have cause to visit the dump very often. Canadian Radio Shacks (now The Source by Circuit City) don't accept much in the way of used batteries. But my local gym has started a battery drop-off booth, so I may start taking in small batches there from now on.

And yes, they were all drained to depletion in my runtime testing. :)

strinq

Enlightened
Ok, relocating my question here from the LED thread:

"Hmmm, there's something funny about my lite, not sure if its a regular feature.

I tried 3 sets of regular NiMH 600mA and 1 eneloop.
I have the ODP on.

On turbo, the 3 warning flashes came very fast, as fast as 1 minute after turning it on.
Then it came intermittently for about 10 minutes before the 15 flash and then went off.
Is this normal?"

juplin

Enlightened
Although it is somewhat off-topic to discuss eneloop and battery-related items in this thread, I heard some batteries printed "eneloop" are not all real eneloops.

Someones doubted what they bought were not real eneloops.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/167779
There are some photos showing differences between real and fake eneloop in the following thread.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/226751

The following link is the specification of eneloop AAA.
http://www.eneloop.info/fileadmin/EDITORS/ENELOOP/DATA_SHEETS/Datasheet_-_HR-4UTG.pdf

Form the specification we can see that the internal resistance (after discharge to 1.0V) is 0.040 Ohms (however, I must admit it is hard for the general public to measure the internal resistance of the battery), and that the discharge plateau will be 1.20V or higher for most of the discharge period under discharge current of 800mA for the "REAL" eneloop AAA.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I tried 3 sets of regular NiMH 600mA and 1 eneloop.
I have the ODP on.

On turbo, the 3 warning flashes came very fast, as fast as 1 minute after turning it on.
Then it came intermittently for about 10 minutes before the 15 flash and then went off.
Is this normal?"
No, that doesn't sound normal. Unless the cells are almost discharged or in very poor condition, you shouldn't see the ODP warning flashes for quite some time. And then only when the cells are nearly depleted.

How long does your light run with the ODP turned off on a fully charged NiMH or eneloop on Max? Just wondering if its the ODP voltage sensor or the state of your batteries that is the source of the problem. If the runtime with ODP off is comparable to my runtimes, then I would think you have a defective circuit. But it seems more likely to me that the batteries are misbehaving - try doing a full runtime and see.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
FYI, finally got around to testing the auto-shut-off feature (8 clicks + PH). It does indeed last for exactly 3 mins, according to stopwatch timer. Pretty good little timer in there ...

I've decided to run the LF2XT on my keychain as EDC with auto-shut-off engaged and the head locked-out (on a L92 battery). This way, I don't need the over-discharge protection feature, since I'm not running a NiMH or Li-ion. :)