LiteFlux LF3XT Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, COMPARISONS, and more!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm still waiting for someone to figure out a similar shutdown formula for the LF3XT. BTW, I just got a Freedom w/orange LED and it will not do the 3 min. shut off trick for some reason. Works fine on my Protons and Rex. I plan to ask LRI about this.

Geoff

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have made a few observations. ;)

Perceptually, I've also noticed that the brightness steps at the very low end of the ramp are more noticeable on the LF3XT than I remember them being on the D10 (i.e. I'm more conscious of it actually stepping up from minimum on the LF3XT, whereas the D10 seemed a bit smoother for the first few fractions of a second). Hardly a big deal, but there does seem to be a subtle difference I can detect.

All in all, a pretty smooth ride so far. I'm going to keep EDCing it awhile longer before making up my mind. :)

Selfbuilt, I notice that the brightness steps at the very low end are more noticeable with the LF3XT, but I see this as an advantage, rather than a disadvantage. It allows me to easily lower the light level to the exact low I want, and not overshoot to minimum like I often do when ramping down more quickly on the EX10.

h2oflyer

Enlightened
Accidental activation with the poor tactile switch is the reason I don't EDC the LF3XT anymore. I don't use a holster and find the sharp tail cross corners are a pocket wrecker. Great light - just not made for pockets.

Walter

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Accidental activation with the poor tactile switch is the reason I don't EDC the LF3XT anymore. I don't use a holster and find the sharp tail cross corners are a pocket wrecker. Great light - just not made for pockets.

Walter

+1 The 2 x 4 sharp edges on the tail >>> :thumbsdow

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep... unfortunately, the LF3XT isn't perfect, dang it. Liteflux did chamfer/bevel all the upper edges of the rear cross, but failed to do so to the small side edges. Those little side edges are waaaay too sharp. It's such a great light, I'd never give it up for just that, so I'm thinking about to do a little light filing... to do what we Colt 1911 fans sometimes do to the guns sharp edges... DEHORN! :eek:oo: It'll leave some edges sans anodizing, but what the heck... it'll gain a nice, worn, two-toned look! :)

Last edited:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that the corners on the cross tailswitch are too sharp, yet I have never wrecked a pocket with it or cut myself on it. I don't wear tight trousers, which could account for why my pockets are intact. Most of the time I carry my light in a jacket or coat pocket, which may also account for why I also have never accidentally activitated the light.

As far as tactile feedback is concerned, I have no issues with it from a functional point of view. While it might feel more reassuring to have a definite click like the Novatac, I don't have any problems with misfirings. In fact as my LF3XT has gotten older, it seems to feel more responsive, which could be because the o-ring there is wearing down a bit, or perhaps my just adjusting to its feel or lack of feel.

According to Gary at EliteLED, LiteFlux is aware of the complaints regarding the sharp corners and should be able to correct the problem with the next run of lights. However, with the economy being slow, it might take a while to sell out on the first run.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've had no problems, too, with the corners or accidental activation. Sometimes if I don't press the switch sharply enough it will not come on, but with a firm press, no trouble. I've found hanging it off belt or belt loop just inside a pocket works well. Its weight is on the lanyard and not on the bottom of the pocket. Maybe this has helped to save some wear.

Geoff

h2oflyer

Enlightened
BabyDoc

Please understand that I am asking this question in a very respectful manner.

Are you a sales agent for EliteLED ?

Walter

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
BabyDoc

Please understand that I am asking this question in a very respectful manner.

Are you a sales agent for EliteLED ?

Walter

:crackup::crackup:Absolutely not!

Although my enthusiasm in the forum for the LF3XT and the good service received from EliteLED seems to benefit them, I don't receive their remuneration in any way, nor do I seek any. Gary and I correspond occasionally by Email, as he would with any of you, if you were you to ask a question or offer suggestions, as I have. That is the extent of my relationship with EliteLED, other than my 4 purchases over the past year: an Olight T10, 2-LF5xts, and 1-LF3xt, for which I paid full price like the rest of you.

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided to dehorn the rear cross edges on my LF3XT... sure feels nice in the hand now... smooth! And the bare aluminum edges look pretty cool as well. I need to clean it up a little better before calling it good, but I'm really happy with the results. I started with a small file but quickly gave that up and went with gentle dremel work with a very small sandpaper drum bit.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I decided to dehorn the rear cross edges on my LF3XT... sure feels nice in the hand now... smooth! And the bare aluminum edges look pretty cool as well. I need to clean it up a little better before calling it good, but I'm really happy with the results. I started with a small file but quickly gave that up and went with gentle dremel work with a very small sandpaper drum bit.

Please show us how it looks after it's done. One of your fine pics might convince me to dust off the dremel.

Geoff

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
According to Gary at EliteLED, LiteFlux is aware of the complaints regarding the sharp corners and should be able to correct the problem with the next run of lights. However, with the economy being slow, it might take a while to sell out on the first run.
Doc (otherwise know as Mr. LF3XT:D) do you think there's any chance they'll offer a 5A or other warmer tint at that time?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like a well loved, well worn tool now! Well, at least the cross edges do. It's got the look of an old friend... and is becoming that more and more every day! I would never get rid of this light anyway, that's why I had no qualms about just taking down those edges. The details can be cleaned up more (and I'll do that, in time), but as is it gets the job done. Sure do love the dremel for stuff like this.

Before, my fingers always seemed to want to run around those sharp edges... and they still do... but now the feel is soft and sculpted. And the sculpted areas now match the color of the button! ;)

I made this photo with my point and shoot, which doesn't manual focus worth a damn... but you get the idea anyway...

LF3XT_1827.jpg

Last edited:

Wallace

Newly Enlightened

I wonder if they would offer the "Dehorned Rev. 2 Switch Plate" for us early adopters to purchase? I've never cut myself on that either, but those 4x double-corners do feel overly sharp and not comfortable to hold. I would be happy to fork out a reasonable fee and get mine replaced... I just don't want to buy the light again.

Btw I got mine from EliteLED as well, ordered on a Wednesday, arrived on Friday!! And I am in Ohio! Great service indeed.

That's why I keep the 3 minute auto-shut-off activated.

I wish there is a similar feature on the LF3XT... I had mine run down on me twice because I accidentally activated it while holstering it (also using a Fenix P2D holster). Especially after I did a hack to fix the squashy switch feel... The switch now has a much better tactile feel, very sensitive and I had never missed a click anymore. But that's a double-edged sword.

W.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it too. I did the same to mine but I only did the sharp points. Doesn't look that bad at all. (not meaning yours does)

Hey, how bout this. Now, remove the switch cross section, remove the guts, and then remove the anodizing. Polish it up a bit, put er all back together and it will no longer look so worn. Whatdaya guys think? Would that look OK?

h2oflyer

Enlightened
Great idea Lite_me

I don't want to lose the ano. on the knurling so i"m going to remove the sharp edges and sand off the ano. from the top of the cross and the four outside edges and leave the ano. on the semi circles.

Walter