LiteFlux LF3XT Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, COMPARISONS, and more!

snakyjake

Enlightened
Has there been any upgrades for the switch delay/feedback issues?
Any upgrades to the sharp edges on the switch?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Has there been any upgrades for the switch delay/feedback issues?
Any upgrades to the sharp edges on the switch?
I don't personally know if any changes have been made to later runs, but I know they are finalizing the 2xAA tube which should have a new tailcap (haven't seen it yet, though).

FYI, I have been EDCing my LF3XT since completion of this review, in compact user interface form. I find I prefer the way its memory feature works over the Nitecore D10/EX10 (i.e. the LF3XT doesn't erase the preset if you use quick-jumps). I have gotten quite use to the sharp edges and soft clicky - no problems carrying and using it here. :)

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, I have been EDCing my LF3XT since completion of this review, in compact user interface form. I find I prefer the way its memory feature works over the Nitecore D10/EX10 (i.e. the LF3XT doesn't erase the preset if you use quick-jumps). I have gotten quite use to the sharp edges and soft clicky - no problems carrying and using it here. :)

I totally concur with selfbuilt's comments... I prefer the ease of use of my LF3XT vs. my D10 (the D10 R2 requires considerable force to activate the piston). And the fact that the LF3XT remembers my set user output even after quick jumps to min or max is great. I softened the edges on my tailcap, but really would be just as happy without having done so. And I think the soft, silent clicky is fantastic. With the LF3XT and the new LF2XT that I have, Liteflux has demonstrated quite clearly to me that they are a very serious contender in flashlight design and manufacturing. There's nothing that quite compares to them that I'm aware of. And for those who haven't jumped on the LF2XT bandwagon yet... you've got an incredible light there to experience.

The fact that selfbuilt uses an LF3XT as his EDC says a LOT! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

rlichter

Newly Enlightened
Please excuse my unfamiliarity posting on CPF, just in case this ends up where it shouldn't. It is through CPF, specifically the extensive review by Selfbuilt, that I bought a Liteflux LF3xt a month ago. The flash is just as versatile and handy as I anticipated. But the other day I was using it standing on its tail as a night light. Wanting more light, I set it to maximum brightness and just happened to touch it two minutes later. It was fortunate I did. It was extremely hot. I turned it off, opened it, removed the battery to a safe place, and let everything cool down. Amazingly, the light still works and appears to be functioning normally.

The CR123A I had been using when the light overheated was probably 8 years old and had been used in another light briefly. The LF3xt had reported its voltage as 2.8 but it had worked without a problem for a couple of weeks prior to the near-catastrophe when it overheated.

The number of dangerous failures I've read about have me concerned. I am not sure what caused this failure but installing a brand new CR123A (reported at 3.2 volts) the flash light appears to work properly and not to overheat. But I'd like to know for sure the probable culprit. Can an older lithium battery fail in this fashion? Or might there be a problem with the LF3xt itself that could precipitate another episode of overheating? If the former, I will be sure to use only fresh primaries. If the latter, I will need to send the light back for inspection. Thanks in advance for your valuable advice.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF. And welcome to LiteFlux ownership. Not sure what to think about the overheating event. I've never noticed excessive temps with mine, but I don't think I've actually tested it either. A bit of warmth is normal, especially used tailstanding, but I wouldn't expect it to get too hot.

Geoff

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The number of dangerous failures I've read about have me concerned. I am not sure what caused this failure but installing a brand new CR123A (reported at 3.2 volts) the flash light appears to work properly and not to overheat. But I'd like to know for sure the probable culprit. Can an older lithium battery fail in this fashion? Or might there be a problem with the LF3xt itself that could precipitate another episode of overheating? If the former, I will be sure to use only fresh primaries. If the latter, I will need to send the light back for inspection. Thanks in advance for your valuable advice.
Hmmm, can't think of what may have been the cause here - but I'm leaning towards the old partially used battery as the culprit. The only time I've seen very hot batteries have been in multi-cell cases (with over-driven lights).

You could try posting your question in the "flashlight electronics - batteries included" forum here at CPF - the battery whizzes over there may be able to help shed some light on the issue, if it is battery related.

Oh, and :welcome: