Lithium AA lights

mikep

Enlightened
Okay, It took me a while to figure out what people were talking about with 'lithium AA" batteries by Energizer. Now my question is, how to make the best use of these? Will Li AA batts make a UK 4AA light brighter than a UK2L? I have a 4AA bike light (called a "NiceLight"- anybody else have one?), would a different bulb work better (be brighter?) with Li AA's?

Brock

Flashaholic
Yes 4 lithium AA's will be brighter than the 2 123 version. The reason isn't in the voltage, that will be the same, it is because you will have more power
smile.gif
2 123's will supply 1300 mA before they are dead, while the 4 lithium AA will supply 2900 mA before they die. Think of them as little pitchers of power. The larger one will be able to pour out power faster than the smaller one, thus making the larger one just a bit brighter. Actually even using 4 alkaline AA cells the light is brighter than the lithium version. But the alkaline version will slowly fade as the batteries age, while the lithium will stay bright until it dies.

Brock - http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/flash.htm

Size15's

Flashaholic
I put four e2 Li AAs in one of my Pelican StealthLites and four Duracell Ultras in the other. There is no difference in brightness or output. I swapped Lamps - no change. The Li AAs are 10g lighter than the Alks.

The Runtime & brightness over runtime tests I'm planning are not a priority at the moment. I also plan to take my Stealths in to the freezer room at work (down to below -25C) to see how the Li AAs compare to the Alks at colder temps (as the Lithium AAs should still maintain a brigher output?)

Al