Lithium Batteries Explode?

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Has anyone ever heard of lithium batteries bursting when left in a flashlight in a hot car?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

No, someone on another board was warning about storing things like ammo, pepper spray, and lithium flashlights in your car in hot weather (over 100 degrees F). Pepper sprays I can understand, but the rest was just hearsay and I'm trying to check it, as I keep a Surefire M3 in my car that I'd rather not see ruined.

Brock

Flashaholic
I have never heard of lithiums leaking, much less exploding. I have heard that if they are submerged in water when they are really hot they could crack open, but have never seen it happen myself, and I have done that. One of the reasons I use lithiums is because I don't worry about leaving them in my car through the summer and winter. We get to 100 F in summer and -20 F in winter and they have always work fine.

Brock

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have no idea what 100F is (38C?) , but aren't DL123As rated to run at 40C?

You'd think that any battery that shuts itself down due to being too hot in the SureFire 12PM, would not be used by SureFire if there was a chance of them exploding under these conditions.

My impression from using Lithiums is that they'll survive far better than Alkalines etc...

Al

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Totally nonsense! A Lithium battery CANT EXPLODE! They won't when they are left in a hot car, perhaps if dropped into fire...
And they can would be able to explode when shortened, but to prevent this, EVERY 123 has a fuse in it, which will be activated, when too much current is flowing through (SUREFIRE speaks of "thermal shutdown"...)

So guys, dont be worried, these little beasts are the best of batteries and when not thrown into fire, they wont do any harm to you (or, the much worse, to your flashlight...
smile.gif
).

Bye,

Phantomas2002

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I agree, but the liquid from the batteries should do not much harm and can be wiped away with water....

Phantomas2002