Lithium cells were mentioned?

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi... I saw somewhere in these forums about manufacturers of AA Lithium cells other than Energizer. I don't remember whether it was mentioned if they were 1.5 volts or otherwise. Does anyone know who they are?

Also, I also saw someone mention cutting a lithium 9V cell to get AAAA cells, but I've lost track of that thread. What interests me, though, is who makes the lithium 9V?

Thanks for any help.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Steelwolf, I can point you a little way. www.radioshack.com ...over on the left click on "batteries and adaptors"...scroll down to "special purpose batts"...click on lithium...page 5 has the 9 volt you are looking for...OF INTREST TO OTHERS...PAGE 7..."D" LITHIUM ON SALE $8.69..."C" ON SALE $6.99 keep in mind these are 3.6 volts....Steelwolf, I beleive all lithium AA`s have a voltage of about 1.7...have fun
smile.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steelwolf:

Also, I also saw someone mention cutting a lithium 9V cell to get AAAA cells, but I've lost track of that thread. What interests me, though, is who makes the lithium 9V?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Very unfortunately, as I believe
Millinship or Brad(?) pointed out, getting AAAA Li cells out of a 9V. Li just won't happen
frown.gif

I myself, about a year ago, cut
open a R.Shk.9V (it was really an Eveready), and found oval,"squarish" shaped cells.
p.s.-if u DO happen to find AAAA Li cells, I want to be among the first to know....

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
So many types of batteries. And there's a little confusion here too. They feature 2 types of Energizer Lithium 1.5V AA baterries. One of which is nearly twice as costly as the other. Yet the descriptions are very basic and identical for both of them. No explaination as to why one would cost more than the other.

But thanks for the pointer anyways.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Steelwolf, I beleive all lithium AA`s have a voltage of about 1.7 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops, be careful!

ONLY the Energizer AAs have 1.7V.

All other Lithiums in AA size have either 3.6 or 3V depending on their chemical system. They are not capable of giving high current as they are thought for memory backup purposes...

So these Lithiums from Radio shack might be something to experiment with, but DONT REPLACE ALKALINES 1 BY 1 WITH THEM!!!!!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

For the different priced Energizer Lithiums: I think one is meant as a pack of two....

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. I see it now. I was initially thrown off the track by the different pictures. One shows that it is for photographic equipment and the other says that it is "high power". But really, one is a pack of 2 and the other is a pack of 4 (something which I still can't find, both in Perth and Singapore. Wish they would sell it in 4 or 8 packs. I definitely have uses for such large packs).

I also know about the other lithium batteries being 3.6V and for low drain memory backup uses. So I guess it's correct to say that only Energizer is selling lithium AA cells for replacement of standard alkaline AA cells?

On the other side of the coin, at least I've found a source for 3V D sized cells which I think would work in my HDS Action Light. And is cheaper too.
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Do you mean the 3.6V Dcells? Be careful as theres much difference between these at radioshack and the 3V cells for the HDS. They have different chemistry. The 3V cells are made by Saft/Alcatel in France and are capable of giving high current, which are the LiTCL not.

Or did you write about another source for the Saft cells. If you did, please tell me!!!

Bye,

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Duracell claims to be coming out with some improved lithiums in July www.duracell.com doesn`t say anything about AA or AAA though...put your pointer on news and click on press releases...
frown.gif

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just reviving this thread because I've finally done some personal "experiments" and research.

The Energizer webpage does not show any AAA lithium cells, but it does show a lithium 9V battery. I couldn't find it on the shelves though. What I did find was from another manufacturer. Ultralife makes high drain cells, in C, something slightly bigger than C, D sized and 9V. (Sorry, still no AAA). Only the 9V was in the store. They (**** Smith's Electronics) have no apparant plans to bring in the C or D sized lithiums.

I thought I'd open up one of the Ultralife's 9V in view of broadening the horizons of knowledge and hopes of getting AAAA sized lithium cells. Unfortunately, the Ultralife cell has got quite different internal structure compared to your usual 9V alkalines (opened a Duracell and found the 6 AAAA batteries as described in another thread, and yes, they are perfectly cylindrical).

The Ultralife 9V consists of 3 equal-sized, separate compartments. The compartments run from top to bottom of the battery and are lined up across the wider width of the box shape. Each compartment contains a sheet of metal folded over to fit the box-like compartment. Together with the sheet of metal are a few other layers which consist of the sheet soaked in electrolyte, another sheet of material that looks like carbon and forms the other terminal, and a sheet of insulation. The sheet of insulation is there because the metal is folded over twice and would touch and create a short circuit at several points. Each separate cell pumps out 3V and are connected in series to give the required 9V.

I have pictures if anyone is willing to host them. (yeah, I'll start my own webpage to host them someday.
tongue.gif
)