lithiums in county comm radios

Lightbringer

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a few radios from county comm and they all work great. i was wondering if its ok to just drop in lithiums instead of alkalines? I wanted to store them in different BOB and such and not have to worry about dead batteries. it'd b nice to leave one in the car also. I remember reading about a streamlight LED light that if u replaced all the batteries with lithiums, it would blow it, so u needed to use a dummy cell. how do i kno lithiums wont blow the radio (or any device for that matter)? THanks for your help.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Documentation for the GP4 shows in can accept anywhere from 3 to 4.5 volts DC. Since Li batts are a tad higher than alks, the GP4 should be OK. In fact, I have some in mine and I have neither complaints or problems.

Frangible

Enlightened
Might want to leave the batts out of it, though... the clock drains the batteries (slowly).

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Frangible said:
Might want to leave the batts out of it, though... the clock drains the batteries (slowly).

[/ QUOTE ]

Not for Alkalines. I don't know exactly which clock module is used in the GP4, but most digital clocks draw less current from Alkalines than the batteries' self-discharge rate.

Charlie Fox

Newly Enlightened
I had a strange occurance with these radios...I left my work bag in my truck overnight and when I got in the next AM I could hear music playing! The radio was on, but the switch was off. The only thing I can think that happened was that the radio got cold and the contacts "grew" together. The radios work fine now that they're warmed up...FYI

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same thing. It's the alarm function. Press and hold the alarm button to set the alarm time. Just clicking the alarm button turns the alarm on and off. With alarm on, the radio turns on on the last radio settings, with the normal on/off slide in the off position. It's fairly easy to activate the alarm function accidentally.

Edit: I forgot: The alarm function is off course reset when you take the batteries out, which would explain why it doesn't happen anymore in your case, if you checked the batteries, that is.

matt_j

Enlightened
I have ltihium-ion (rechargables) in mine since the early summer time... Radio still works fine.