Long-term thoughts on SureFire P1R Peacekeeper

elzilcho

Enlightened
I'm interested in opinions about long-term use of the SureFire P1R Peacekeeper.

The task at hand is to provide good medium-range to longish-range visibility (think partway across an average urban parking lot) in twilight or dark conditions with a fair amount of light pollution. Reliability is an absolute must.

Using two hands to change the levels on an MD2 with a hi/low ring turned out to be too cumbersome for my purposes. I also tried a BOSS 70 but it isn't proving to be up to the challenge in the reliability department.

On paper the P1R looks like it has the right features for the job, so I'd like to hear from anyone who's had the SF for a year or more. What do you think after some time with it?

Thanks.

WebHobbit

Enlightened
What sort of issues have you had with the BOSS 70? It's been my dream tactical light for years...never had that sort of money to spend on it....YET.

Also isn't the Fury Duel Fuel a LOT more lumens (1500) and with the same 18650 compatibility? I'm not sure why the Peace Keeper still exists at this point.

elzilcho

Enlightened
The only dual-fuel Fury I saw available is single mode. Maybe they have another that I missed? Ideally I'd like a low of anywhere from 5-50 lumens for nearby tasks in addition to the high mode. I just checked a couple places online and it looks like the P1R has been discontinued so maybe it isn't an option anymore. I'll keep looking.

My BOSS quit working mid-task one day and refused to turn back on. It was repaired but now it randomly selects modes it wasn't programmed to use. After programming it for low and medium-high, it would occasionally pick something in between those as a kind of third - surprise! - mode. Definitely not acceptable for a tactical light when you need to trust it will work as expected. For lighting up an area to work on home repairs or other miscellaneous tasks, where malfunctions aren't a dealbreaker, it's fine. Most people seem very happy with their BOSS lights so I assume mine is just a rare lemon. Don't read too much into my sample size of one.