Longest runtime for budget single AA or AAA led light on low setting to be used in tornado shelter

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Interesting about the negative experience with SL. I still have a single LED version, powered by 4xAA that I love. It's got great tint, throw and spill. Yellow body and black bezel. I don't recall what LED is in there. Maybe a Luxeon? Not sure. I've had it for 10-15 years or so.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting about the negative experience with SL. I still have a single LED version, powered by 4xAA that I love. It's got great tint, throw and spill. Yellow body and black bezel. I don't recall what LED is in there. Maybe a Luxeon? Not sure. I've had it for 10-15 years or so.
That sounds like the Luxeon Propolymer. I have a couple of these too. They're great lights, very reliable and well-built but pretty inefficient by today's standards. The OP is requesting a long-runtime light and these burn through 4AAs in about 6 hours at 100 lumens.

I've seen several comments on negative experience regarding some of the newer lines of SL lights that are made overseas.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven’t heard any complaints about the 1 watt luxeon version. That was actually a decent light with a good throw. I wouldn’t buy one now as it is way outdated compared to newer l.e.d.s. The 7 5mm l.e.d. version was a piece of garbage.

340pd

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a reliable budget AA- or AAA led light with longest runtime on low setting...doesnt need to have super bright capabilities. Probably 30 lumens or less. 1 or 2 lumens may be a bit to weak to see in the tornado shelter. Ty
Buy cheap, you get cheap. Hand cranks are silly. Pick up two high quality lights and a good supply of lithium batteries which will give you a long shelf light. You won't be your shelter for weeks. This ain't rocket surgery.