Looking for a 1xAAA light with some specific qualities.

ctelecaster

Newly Enlightened
Hey all. Been lurking for a while and I find myself in need of a recommendation. I've recently started EDCing a light, a Streamlight Microstream which is awesome, but I'm looking for something a little more versatile. Here's what my optimal light must have:

• 1xAAA
  • One handed operation (twisty or clicky doesn't matter)
  • Pocket clip
  • At least low and high mode, with light levels in ASCENDING order (low -> high)
  • Less than $50
Plusses:

• Cheaper = Better
  • Simpler = Better (optimally only two modes, low and high)
Mostly this light would be used for common EDC and ambling about the house in the dark. The ascending order of power modes thing for me is important because I want to be able to start in low and ratchet it up as needed, rather than full-blast right off the bat and blind myself in a dark house.

Any recommendation anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
most 1xAAA lights (not too many models exist on the market anyway) fulfill your requirements, and even if not, my advice, dont be too exclusionary. one of the best performing and best built 1xAAA lights is the Fenix LD01 which got updated and improved over the several years since its inception, L0D. if you want to exclude this light only because of its mode sequence (Med-Lo-Hi, no blinkies, no mode memory), then you're making a real mistake imho and i will stop right here.

in any case, the pocket clip of LD01 fits on most 1xAAA lights so you shouldnt worry. For a list of current relevant 1xAAA models check the graph at forol.

ctelecaster

Newly Enlightened
most 1xAAA lights (not too many models exist on the market anyway) fulfill your requirements, and even if not, my advice, dont be too exclusionary. one of the best performing and best built 1xAAA lights is the Fenix LD01 which got updated and improved over the several years since its inception, L0D. if you want to exclude this light only because of its mode sequence (Med-Lo-Hi, no blinkies, no mode memory), then you're making a real mistake imho and i will stop right here.

in any case, the pocket clip of LD01 fits on most 1xAAA lights so you shouldnt worry. For a list of current relevant 1xAAA models check the graph at forol.
Thanks for the link. I actually have had a look at the LD01 and I really like it. At the end of the day I'm looking to purchase the best light I can find, and I will probably purchase the LD01 if I cannot find a light that I prefer.

Danielight

Enlightened
I recently picked up an Olight i3 EOS, which is now my EDC. Here are the specs:

* LED type: Premium Cree XP-G R5
* Premium type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
* Twisty switch on/off
* 3-mode:
Low (2.5 lumens), Medium (20 lumens), High (70 Lumens)
* Runtime: 20 hours on low, 90 minutes
on medium, and 40 minutes on high
* Compatible with 1 x AAA alkaline or NIMH
* Orange peel aluminum reflector
* Comes with 2 spare O-rings and one AAA alkaline battery
* 24 months manufacturer's warranty

Size: 7.8cm x 1.4 cm
Weight: 13.2g (excluding battery)

This light has a nice pocket clip, and it includes a tiny Allen wrench to remove the two screws that hold the clip in place (in case you want to do that). One-hand operation works very well. I purchased mine for about $22 ... it's worth a look.
:)

ctelecaster

Newly Enlightened
The Olight i3 looks like a winner! Seems to have the mode sequence I want and otherwise looks very solid. Thanks for the recommendation! Anybody know of any other lights that fit the bill?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends what you would like in a little light, so mutch different stuff to consider :)
I got lots of aaa lights to choose from. From cheap to really expensive ones. I dont collect, but i cant stop bying them haha.
I really like the cheap trunite ti i bought lately. Got both versions. The "3 lumen lo mode version" is exellent overall fore general stuff. The "firefly" version with a 0.04 lumen superlomode is a bit too dim on lo for a 2 mode light. You got really really really dim with super long runtimes, and bright. Im forced to choose hi mode when i really want just a little light a little too often with the firefly version. I wouldent like the firefly version if it were my only light. But then again... the runtime is sweet on that model. And the firefly is nice when you got fully dark adapted vision. Wont hurt your eyes a bit.

Twist for lo, twist more for hi. Just like a little 2 mode "contol ring type of light" would act. Current regulated, no pwm flicker. Good runtimes. Nice chunky heatsink (compared with lots of other aaa lights) :) Exellent sharp knurling. Xp-e r4 led, so it will focus better and have more reach than most xp-g based aaa lights. Cheap.

I was really supriced over the value and quality of this thing. I have dunked them under water + had the im in the shower around my neck, dropped them alot, then i finally desided they were worhty of a nichita 219 led uppgrade :)

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you want a tiny light, look at the 4sevens Preon P0 or the DQG III

The Olight is a great light. I've got the ITP Eos, which is a similar light IIRC (The i3 is kinda like an upgrade of the light I have). Great light, small size, and has been pretty tough.