Looking for a dog light. . .

nksmfamjp

Newly Enlightened
I have a Beagle who seems to run away at inopportune times back home. So, I'm looking for a good searchlight for her. Basically, I would like something which is a super thrower(I think) to help me illuminate her eyes as far away as possible. Also, something which I can see her run back and forth a long ways away with. My EDC is ok, but feels like it is about 500 lumens short of where I need to be.

I'm looking for a good sized light with a larger spot and good fill. Right now I'm thinking like Fenix TK35 or TK 45. While I need a high mode of like 700+ lumens, I would like a medium around 200 - 300 and a low under 30 lumens for putting the coller on, etc.

This light will probably see use camping also, so it should have good battery life. I'm thinking 2 x 18650 form factor.

Any lights you reccomend? At this time, I'm living in Japan and need to have it mailed here. Does that imply a particular retailer or is there some special deal I might get being closer to China?

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
IIRC many of the replies to this (pre CPF meltdown) were along the lines of:

1 Train your dog to come back when called.

2 Get a flashing led dog collar light so you can easily see where she is

nksmfamjp

Newly Enlightened
This thread was longer, but to make this story short, I just got word that my dog is really sick. . .and I ended up with a Fenis TK35. Wish her luck.

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened
good luck to the pooch. i lit up a coyote with a Maelstrom G5/R5 last night at about 125 yards with no problem whatsoever.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about a headlamp, so you have your hands free to catch your dog.

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
I was going to talk about lights, but I think that is not on your mind right now. May God watch over your little buddy and make both of you happy and healthy friends again soon.

CSSA

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear that your dog is in poor health. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery! My answer for a light to take dog walking is a Jetbeam M1XL. The critters I want to spot a distance off and discourage from approaching are cougars and the 750 OTF lumens makes my part of the world substantially brighter.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
I had same troubles spotting my dog at night, until I got a reflective collar. That really helped!

By my faithful old Black Lab has advanced cancer now, and is close to death, so he doesn't run off anymore. I hope your furry pal is not as ill as mine.

Good luck

longrange2

Newly Enlightened
I walk my dog off-leash quite a bit at night. I picked up a yellow safety vest with reflective stripes for here to wear when we walk. The stripes really shine when the light hits them and there is never any question where she is. I usually just carry a SF Z2 when we walk.

nksmfamjp

Newly Enlightened
Just a quick update. My dog is doing much better. She still walks with a definate limp due to her back issues. She is doing great.

I bought the TK35. It is a good light. I haven't had to use it with her lately, but it would do the job.

oldnfat

Newly Enlightened
Good to hear you had a good outcome on your pooch problems. You know dogs and flashlights are kinda alike, they both light up at your touch, ever faithful, all they ask is a little TLC. I love dogs, got 5 of 'em.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for a dog light . . .

sideviewqu8.jpg

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
Hey rngr633, I bought a couple of those auroralights for my Springers as well!

I didn't have much luck with them as they used the bulky batterys that drained quickly and the contacts for the batts were terrible!!!

I ended up getting a product called GlowDoggie which works much better (longer runtimes and no failures)

I also use a TK35 and the Headlamp I am IN love with Zebralight H600

My walks are now peaceful.

Last edited:

Richub

Enlightened
I see a lot of dog owners here who give their dog a collar with tiny red LEDs on them. Especially black dogs can be seen a lot easier at night with those collars.

Most illuminated dog collars are so bright it hinders the dogs night vision, but the tiny red LED collars are 'invisible' to dogs. This gives them full night vision, and they can still easily be seen by their owners.

Pity I can't seem to find them on Google, a search only shows the usual bright collars. I guess the collars I'm referring to have a brand name I don't know.

teestow

Newly Enlightened
there are some led dog collars on ebay, we bought one for our standard poodle and it works well. they come in 7 different colors and are visible from over 500 meters. good quality collars too, thought they might be fairly cheezy but I was impressed with the quality. I'm not a fan of the plastic buckle collars, they are not good for a dog that will run to the end of his tether as the buckles will either break or release, but good for walking or letting the dog run around to keep him in your sights. they are cheap too...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/280699778871...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3246wt_1185

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I think it was mentioned before but lost in the crash...
If you have a light on you a reflective collar is very good.
Even if the dog is so far away that the light doesn't seem to reach a reflective material will shine.

Latest posts