Looking for a EDC recommendation

jkpatrick

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to purchase a flashlight. I've been browsing around these forums and others, looking for a decent recommendation. I keep running across ones that always recommend a Fenix LD20 or a E21, I even went to Fonarevka to look at pictures taken of flashlights lighting up creepy areas. Anyways, I filled out the recommendation form. Any recommendations are appreciated! :thumbsup:
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
____Less than $150-$200.

3) Format:
____I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:
____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
____Holster carry.

5) Emitter/Light source:
____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)

6) Manufacturer:
____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):
____I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating
____I don't care.

Last edited:

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
For throw have a look at the Dereelight Javelin with DBS reflector head (and adaptor), low voltage XP-G drop-in (to suit 3xAA eneloops), otherwise one of the several large multi-AA lights (depending on how thick a light you want to carry). One of the limiting factors is just how much current AA batteries can supply. To get more throw you have to sacrifice flood (and vice versa). To get throw you need a large reflector (or aspheric lens).

jkpatrick

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the Dereelight Javelin recommendation. I'll check it out some reviews. Seems that price point is about $50. For that price point, wouldn't a Fenix LD40 be better?

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite 2 x AA general use light is the Quark X AA2 from 4sevens.com. There are two UI's to choose from - Regular or Tactical. Looks like you'd want the Tactical UI so you don't have to cycle through the light settings.

A couple of my favorite 2 x CR123 lights are the Olight M21X 600 lumen light (also can run on a rechargeable 18650 Li-ion,) and the Quark 123x2 Turbo X (also runs on a rechargeable 17670 Li-ion.)

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunwayman V20r, runs on primary Cr123 or an 18650. Magnetic control ring so you can select the brightness before you turn it on or after ;)

Mag-man

Newly Enlightened
Try the brand new Mini Maglite LED Pro+. It's brand new. They can be hard to find but in about a typical Minimag setup (about 5.5" long) and it might include a holdster - you get 245 lumens and about 450 feet of throw with several setting (low, high, strobe, etc). Can't beat it for about $30. I was going to spend some minor dough upgrading a MiniMag but it might be better to just get an LED Mini Pro+.

Last edited:

NOREAT

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at the Surefire E2DL, LX2 and G2X/6PX Pro. Expensive, but well worth it. I would also suggest you do some reading about the discrepencies of measuring lumens.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Some of the answers to the punch list are in potential conflict...as the lights that light up the entire field, and have 150+ yards of throw, tend to be bigger lights, and have more power.

Also - rated throw uses 0.25 lux as defining the furthermost edge of the throw, which is typically not that useful in practice, depending on WHY you want a particular throw range. Same with the floody beams...it makes a difference as to what you need the light to DO for you.

0.25 lux, at your FEET is usable for not stepping on/bumping into things, but that's about it. At 150 yards, you can't really resolve enough to be worth a damn at that light level...maybe tell if a forest is there, etc...but not trees.

What is it you want to be able to SEE?

:D

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Fenix PD31 is a great choice. Uses CR123's or a single 18650. Plenty of light. Great throw. Small enough to EDC in pocket. An alternative is the newer Fenix PD32, which uses slightly different UI. It just depends on your preferences.......

Good luck. You' eventually end up with more than one, so don't get too hung up on finding the 'perfect' light on the first try. The 'perfect' light does not yet exist, LOL.

jkpatrick

Newly Enlightened
While I haven't found my light yet, I did go ahead and got the Fenix LD10 + E05 gift set. This mainly got me the keychain light that I needed to replace my old dollar store type one. Plus the LD10 is a good/cheap EDC to hold me over until I could really find or learn more about lights. Thanks for all the feedback.

Latest posts