Looking for a stupid bright 18650 flashlight with a spot beam and a lot of throw

OpenTrackRacer

Newly Enlightened
The title kinda says it all. I'm in need of a bright light with a lot of throw.

I have a Trustfire TR-J12 right now and while it's plenty bright, the beam is too floody for my application (which is exploring abandoned mines). Our previous "bright" light was a Trustfire SSC-P7 and it had a similar beam pattern. I'm looking for something as cheap as possible because the environment chews up flashlights (and other electronics) pretty quickly.

One of our team members has a Front Gate branded 3 LED CR123 light he got as a present from his in-laws (which they massively overpaid for but what can you do) and it has a great spot beam. If I could find the same head on an 18650 body that would probably do the trick (although something brighter would be nice too).

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!

Last edited:

cistallus

Enlightened
There are a lot of lights that might work for you.

Do you mean a single cell 18650, or also multiple cell ones?

You might try the parametrek.com flashlight database, play with parameters to narrow your choices and get a better idea or examples of what you want.

Wait, I see you want as cheap as possible. You might look at the budget lights subforum here, but otherwise CPF (and parametrek) tends to not focus on budget lights; you might also look at the separate site called budget light forum.

ven

Flashaholic

OpenTrackRacer

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking for a dual 18650 light similar in size to the TR-J12 and the SSC-P7. The Convoy lights look good but I think I'm looking for something with an even tighter beam. The MAXTOCH M24 looks very interesting, as does their X2. I've reached out to them for a suggestion on which might be better for throw and beam pattern. I'm looking to send around $70 rather than $200 and of course, the brighter the better.

The TR-J12 is amazingly bright and cheap but just doesn't have the throw for places like these...

shaft1.jpg

shaft2.jpg

Thanks again!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
A flashlight with a single LED and a deep reflector will throw much farther than a flashlight with multiple LED's with a shallow reflector. I would also consider spending a little more for getting the correct light the first time rather than buying several cheap lights that don't work correctly for your application.

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
A flashlight with a single LED and a deep reflector will throw much farther than a flashlight with multiple LED's with a shallow reflector. I would also consider spending a little more for getting the correct light the first time rather than buying several cheap lights that don't work correctly for your application.

+1
I read through all the posts and was going to pretty much say the exact same thing. For maximum brightness, it needs to be an XM-L2 LED, but that is a pretty big die and so will be floody, so the reflector needs to be BIG and DEEP.......the bigger and deeper the reflector, the tighter the focus of the beam and thus a bright spot. Look for something with a big head on the flashlight. Sorry I can't help with an exact suggestion, but this is how it works and what you might want to look for.

OpenTrackRacer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for all the feedback. I ordered a MAXTOCH 2X. It's supposed to have excellent throw and it's very reasonable at $75. It's a little bigger than I'd like but I believe we can accommodate it.