Looking for advice for on the go charging of battery packs

H

HazeElctrc

Newly Enlightened
I have a light I set up I put together , it can be powered by a 12 to about 16v pack. Problem is I have to make pack with around 12 AHs capacity. I cant think of a way to legit charge it while on cycling trips. Id have to bring my charger and find a wall, But if Im in the woods or rural area its not a very reliable option.

I cant really use a USB power pack like I do with my lesser lights. I could down grade to an 800 lumen or 400 lumen , which is fine but Id feel better if I could hit 1000 lumens with a 3.4v cell. Maybe you could suggest some options.

I am guessing I will just have to leave my 2000 lumen light behind and just settle for the lesser ones. But I wondering if anyone has suggestions or pointers for a build and a way to tune the light. Thanks in Advance .

Lynx_Arc

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'm not really sure what you are realistically wanting as if there is no power source at all either you have to bring along a lot more battery power or downgrade the power usage. The only alternative is to bring along a huge portable solar panel and hope you can charge it in the mid day sun and if you are cycling likely that isn't realistic either. I don't think that using a bike powered generator is an option as it sounds like a huge amount of power is needed likely you won't be able to supply about 200watts of power or so to recharge it. As for a battery pack.... adapt it for a 20v tool battery by incorporating a buck circuit inline with it you can get various sizes of these batteries and chargers for them. I have seen a PD type charger for USB devices I think may be bidirectional.

A

arrgh my eyes!!

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
12 AHr at 12 volts is 144 WHr, that’s a lot of juice. My 37Ahr power bank is about 8”x2”x3”, and I don’t think there’s much extra space anyone could cut away there. You’re looking at a pretty sizable pack for a bike

Can you give some details on how this 12v light is configured?

Poppy

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
12 AHr at 12 volts is 144 WHr, that’s a lot of juice. My 37Ahr power bank is about 8”x2”x3”, and I don’t think there’s much extra space anyone could cut away there. You’re looking at a pretty sizable pack for a bike

Can you give some details on how this 12v light is configured?
I'd ask the same question, in fact, WHY a 12-16 volt light? Why not use LEDs that'll run on 3-4 volts, within the parameters of LiIon cells?