Looking for an all purpose flashlight

PetitEtreMalfaisant

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Previous posting failed, so if it causes a double post, sorry.

So, we just bought a farm and I need an handy flashlight.
For the attic and "external rooms" where there is no ligths nor windows.
And also for our fields and woods.
If it's two flashlights it will be two.

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

__x_This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

__x_Up to 75€ ($90-100).

3) Format:

__x_I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

__ x_SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

__x_LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

__x_I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?

__x_I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
__x_I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.
=> most efficient choice with backup battery

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

__x_I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?

__x_I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
__x_I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

__x_Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
__x_Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
__x_30-50 meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Runtime:

__x_30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

__x_Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

__x_Any size switch will do.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

__x_A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

__x_Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
__x_Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
Durable is the key

15) Water resistance
__x_None needed

16) Storage conditions
__x_In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

Thanks for your reply

Bob Damon

Enlightened
If you have rechargeable AA batteries, some AA all purpose lights might be the single light - Sunwaymsn D40A, Nitecore EA41, Eagletac Sx25L3 and Sx25L6, and the Jetbeam SRA40. All of these should be able to search your backyard, and have lower levels for inside. I have the Sunwayman and the previous model of the Nitecore, and believe the sit and finish and ease of use are better with the Sunwayman.

if you want to do some research, search for user 'Selfbuilt' on the forum, he does wonderful reviews, very detailed info.

Nightflash

Newly Enlightened
Farm, fields, woods, no lights, no windows: In my opinion You will be best served with a 2x18650 Fenix TK35 allrounder. It´s not the smallest but it´s got excellent runtimes because of the 2 rechargeables, a lot of range and punch when needed and it´s good for using indoors. Because it´s smooth in the hand and easy to operate with the 2 switches in the back Your wife will love it as well, which is important.
Versatile, as it operates on 4xcr123 as well
IMG800x_1000.jpg

IMG800x_1002.jpg

Something completely different as a 2nd backup light could be a 1x18650 Olight Baton S20 - this is handy to attach to a baseball cap and have 2 hands free, it´s got a strong magnetic tailcap so can be attached to anything metal securely, which always comes in handy on a farm when working or on a tour. If You have a place to attach it on a ceiling (fan for instance) it doubles as a ceiling light in non illuminated rooms. It´s small, just a little more than the battery. Several modes.
IMG800x_1005.jpg

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few ideas that pop up in my meek brain:

Sunwayman T45C (my "big light"), great options on light output. Enough power to reach out and still has decent spill
Sunwayman C15A (My little light), runs on AA, has 1/4 mount on tail making carry & mount options endless. I would have a McGizmo lanyard so I could secure it for the trips around the farm. Also can be warn around neck.

Other great considerations:
Nitecore headlamp: HC90
D40A
Fenix LD50
Maratac AA Copper (this would stay clipped in my jean pocket at all times) Besides, everyone needs copper on a farm!
The Fraz QTC light. built like a tank, full adjustable output, runs on 26650 for ever! I love the beam for outside evening yard duties and dog walks. Just need to fashion a lanyard out of para cord. I kinda think of it as a modern custom version of a maglite. Well sorta, lol Except for the focus beam part. Give it a look.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hts-(2nd-run-and-combo-package-now-available)

So there ya go. A few ideas to research.

ven

Flashaholic
Hi ,thank you for getting back ,look forward to your impressions when you have time please:)

PetitEtreMalfaisant

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys,

I finally received the Sunwayman D40A today.
It's very nice looking and the grip is pretty cool too.
I just tried it (it's night time in France) and it's really powerfull for going outside.

I'm very happy with this flashlight.

Thanks for the advices.

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
The hp1 Coast is an excellent option if you want everyone to have a flashlight on the house for that same price range, and fits all the expectations, 1 setting, takes AA , also li ion 14500, and 130 lumens for 4 hours.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
X2 on the HP1. $10 plus a battery

I'm at like day 70-ish of daily use with the first battery...a plain ole alky.

Buy 4, and a 4 pack of lithiums...
Flood mode on tail stand is a room lighter. Spot mode is good for at least 100' (30m)

^^ at twighlight

^^ about 50/50 flood/spot adjustment.

Last edited: