Looking for EDC with VERY low Lumen output

Martin

Enlightened
Photon 2 coin cell light (or knockoff) and replace the two 2016 batteries (6v) with one 2032 (3v). It so small it can be added to whatever else you use. Will last years on that one battery.

I just did this to a free fauxton I got from Lighthound. Dim but very usable amount of light. Total cost about $0.25
+1. Excellent way to not overdrive the little LEDs and extend battery life a lot.

machoamigo

Newly Enlightened
I have the Novatac 120 P and the low is really low and its programmable one you get used to the UI which I found easy to use after some fiddling :)

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both Photon ReX and HDS U60 (similar to Novatac). Both are very dim and will fully preserve night vision.

The ReX is a little dimmer, but my HDS is modified with an SSC P4 emitter, so is a bit brighter on the lowest level than stock. The ReX can start at the lowest level and ramp up -- you just press and hold. The ReX also has a glow-in-the-dark button to make it easier to find.

I think a stock HDS or Novatac at 0.08 lumens is probably about equal to the ReX, but I don't have one to measure.

Another option (ironically) is a Fenix P3D Q5 with AW rechargeable cells and a red filter. Using rechargeable cells the low level is dimmer than normal, and the red filter dims it further plus shifts color to preserve night vision. Lighthound has the cells and filters:

P3D Q5: http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3220
Filter: http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2960
AW RCR123A: http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1155&HS=1

The HDS (and I assume Novatac) run time on the lowest level is extremely long. I'm doing a run time test on my HDS at the lowest level. So far it has been constantly on -- non-stop -- for a month at level 20.

The ReX is rechargeable, so that's a nice feature.

BigD64

Enlightened
No one seemed to mention an older Surefire L1. The 1st gen models had a 1.1 lumen low. If you can get one used I think it would fit the bill.

arty

Enlightened
I have an older Model Surefire L1 and use it with a diffuser. I tried the lowest level - 1.1 lumen - and it was too bright for my wife. It was too bright and disturbed her sleep. I had some early -too early - meetings over the last two weeks.
I programmed the Novatac 85P so the lowest level comes on first. I set it lower than the Surefire - to 3 Lux at 1 meter. It worked great.
THe Photon Freedom Micro comes on low if you hold and press. You can then pick a brightness as it increases in output. It is even dimmer than I could set the Novatac.
If you just press the Photon switch and click on - it starts up in the highest setting. I can't handle this when first getting up.
I prefer the Novatac for this role. The 85P is a good price and you might still be able to get one from Lighthound.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everytime I see all these posts about lights with a really low level, Leef/Milkyspit's Gotham always comes to mind. Pricey it is, but really is a beauty :) I have carried mine almost every day since I got it and that coating doesn't have a scratch on it.....amazing!

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon 2 coin cell light (or knockoff) and replace the two 2016 batteries (6v) with one 2032 (3v). It so small it can be added to whatever else you use. Will last years on that one battery.

I just did this to a free fauxton I got from Lighthound. Dim but very usable amount of light. Total cost about $0.25

I'm gonna try this, thx for the tip!

Mayo