Looking for ideas regarding adding white LED DRL’s to 2018 Ram 1500.

corneileous

Newly Enlightened
I figured this would probably be the best forum to post this but I’m really wanting to add some white DRL lighting somewhere on the front of my truck but I have no idea what to get or where to even put them. Sure, I could just spend upwards of $13-1400 on a new set of aftermarket headlights that already has them in there but number one, I don’t wanna spend that kind of money and number two, I really do like the factory projector headlights that come on this truck; I just don’t like the fact that they waited until the new fifth GEN body style before they started incorporating those white LEDs in the headlights.

There is one other option that’s not quite as expensive but unfortunately it involves putting the headlights in an oven and taking them apart. I’ve seen where you can replace the whole amber LED turn signal strip on the bottom of the factory premium projector headlights that has white LED’s mixed with the amber LED’s but like I said, I don’t feel too comfortable putting my headlights in an oven, then having to pry them apart and putting them back together so that they don’t leak and get a whole bunch condensation on the inside of them so that idea is pretty much out.

Any ideas or do any of you guys know of some pretty neat lighting that I could use? I’ve looked around quite a bit and I just can’t really find anything that I’m looking for. At least one cool thing about how my truck is set up though, there is a dedicated circuit inside my headlight wiring that’s strictly for daytime running lights and by using a software called alpha OBD, I can actually designate those white LEDs as my DRL‘s and even be able to enable the DRL dropout of those lights when I turn my turn signals on.

Thanks in advance.

EJR

Newly Enlightened
If your looking for advice on cosmetic type of lighting, you have reached the wrong place.

For dedicated DRL lamps that are designed to produce a *real* DRL beam, you'll want to look at Philips or Sylvania/Osram for their kits that get mounted in the lower bumper.

corneileous

Newly Enlightened
If your looking for advice on cosmetic type of lighting, you have reached the wrong place.

For dedicated DRL lamps that are designed to produce a *real* DRL beam, you'll want to look at Philips or Sylvania/Osram for their kits that get mounted in the lower bumper.
Actually, that’s a lot of what I’m looking for but what did you assume I was in the hunt for??

BTW, that Phillips kit you linked is no longer available.

EJR

Newly Enlightened
BTW, that Phillips kit you linked is no longer available.

Whoops, I missed that part on the product page. You can still purchase the Philips Daylight kits from over seas sellers. I had the Daylight 9 kit on our, now sold, 15 Grand Caravan. It was a solid kit though the lenses got pitted much quicker than I would have liked.

The discontinued GE Nighthawk LED DRL kit was a nice kit. I still have it just never got to use it. Its unlike any other DRL kit on the market in that the 3 LED blocks can swivel slightly (adjustment knob at the top) to keep them illuminating straight forward while mounting on curved front bumpers.

You may also want to research Nolden for their universal DRL kits. Nice OEM grade lighting.

corneileous

Newly Enlightened
Whoops, I missed that part on the product page. You can still purchase the Philips Daylight kits from over seas sellers. I had the Daylight 9 kit on our, now sold, 15 Grand Caravan. It was a solid kit though the lenses got pitted much quicker than I would have liked.

The discontinued GE Nighthawk LED DRL kit was a nice kit. I still have it just never got to use it. Its unlike any other DRL kit on the market in that the 3 LED blocks can swivel slightly (adjustment knob at the top) to keep them illuminating straight forward while mounting on curved front bumpers.

You may also want to research Nolden for their universal DRL kits. Nice OEM grade lighting.
Those are nice kits. I don’t know why that was so hard for me to find.

Now the next question would be where in the heck to install them that would look good.

I kinda like to hook them up somewhere as close to the headlights as I could because of how I said I would prefer to hook them up being that I could make them respond like OEM lighting.

But I see that some of those come with some kind of a module so how did those kits work?

Thanks for those recommendations, though.

Attachments

• BCA0CE14-B3AC-480C-BA69-74E15B4822C1.jpeg
    BCA0CE14-B3AC-480C-BA69-74E15B4822C1.jpeg
    627.4 KB · Views: 10
  • A31EF0E8-DE75-4E5F-BA97-BEF9E479A971.jpeg
    A31EF0E8-DE75-4E5F-BA97-BEF9E479A971.jpeg
    490.6 KB · Views: 9

EJR

Newly Enlightened
Now that I think about, are you aware you can activate your amber LED turn signals into DRLs using an OBD programmer? Might be an easier way to add DRLs without needing to figure out mounting positions for external DRL kits.

corneileous

Newly Enlightened
Now that I think about, are you aware you can activate your amber LED turn signals into DRLs using an OBD programmer? Might be an easier way to add DRLs without needing to figure out mounting positions for external DRL kits.
As I mentioned towards the end in my opening post, I have that Alfa OBD software that allows me to do a lot of stuff like that, and I have enabled my DRL's even with the ability to turn them on and off at my leisure within my Uconnect settings on my radio but, I'm not interested in using any of my stock lighting. That's why I'm inquiring about an aftermarket kit that I can use with my system and besides, I'd rather have the white light like most cars today have that my truck didn't come with.

If my headlights weren't so hard to remove for changing bulbs, I could use those but either way, I don't want to use any of my headlights or fog lights due to overuse of the bulbs and having to change them way more often than I should. For the longest time I was using the amber turn signal LED's in the headlights as my DRL's but again, I'm not crazy about the amber light and second, I've heard that some people have burned those out from over-usage and being that they are considered part of the headlights and are built-in, I've also heard that warranty won't cover them if they quit working which means I'd have to buy a whole new headlight unless I wanted to try my luck with oven-heating them and cracking them apart so, I'd just rather not go that route.

-Virgil-

Staff member
This topic has been pretty well covered, though I would add a few additional points:

1. Nolden is not "OEM grade" -- not even anywhere close, except in their own imagination.

2. In addition to the Osram LEDriving line and the Philips line, Hella also makes a large variety of high-quality LED retrofit kits. See them here and here, including lamps and kits designed to account for 15° or 30° of horizontal rake/curve angle to the mounting location. You have to pay attention to this rake/curve, because like all other lamps, a DRL will only do its job if it is mounted with its optical axis straight ahead. You can't just take a lamp intended for mounting on a flat, straight-across surface perpendicular to the vehicle's front-to-back axis, and rotate the lamp so it matches your raked/curved mount surface, and still have it work.

3. Anything that involves baking/disassembling the headlamps is a complete non-starter of an idea.

4. The amber turn signals on trucks like this are rated for prolonged steady operation as DRLs; all such trucks sold in the Canadian market are equipped that way. It's not some kind of unauthorized hack, and no, it doesn't cause them to burn out or cause other problems.