Looking for ideas regarding adding white LED DRL’s to 2018 Ram 1500.

corneileous

Newly Enlightened
Anything that involves baking/disassembling the headlamps is a complete non-starter of an idea.
I realize this member is no longer here but for the sake of the discussion, I just wanted to touch on a couple things he said but yeah, I'm not really interested in taking apart my headlights but there are people who know how to do it and know how to do it correctly and if I was one of them, the aftermarket has a really nice upgrade for my factory projector headlights that replaces the factory turn signal/marker light LED board with one that has the added white LEDs to be used as true daytime running lights.

The amber turn signals on trucks like this are rated for prolonged steady operation as DRLs; all such trucks sold in the Canadian market are equipped that way. It's not some kind of unauthorized hack, and no, it doesn't cause them to burn out or cause other problems.
I guess this is really good to know because I always wondered about that but then again, I don't know exactly how Chrysler sets up the daytime running lights on these trucks for the Canadian market or any other market where daytime running lights are the law and who knows, those that have told me something happened to their LED boards might not actually have been from enabling them to be the DRL's, that it could've been from something completely different but I still did have a legitimate reason to be concerned about it because like I said, if that LED board did decide to go out and quit working, it's still considered a lightbulb which means it's considered as an expandable part that's not covered by warranty.

EJR

Newly Enlightened
I guess this is really good to know because I always wondered about that but then again, I don't know exactly how Chrysler sets up the daytime running lights on these trucks for the Canadian market or any other market where daytime running lights are the law

Its activated through the vehicles computer via the OBD port at the factory. They switch them ON for vehicles sold in the CA market and switch them OFF for vehicles sold to the US market.

and who knows, those that have told me something happened to their LED boards might not actually have been from enabling them to be the DRL's, that it could've been from something completely different but I still did have a legitimate reason to be concerned about it because like I said, if that LED board did decide to go out and quit working, it's still considered a lightbulb which means it's considered as an expandable part that's not covered by warranty.

Just as Virgil stated, the Ram turn signal/DRLs are rated for prolonged steady operation. Which means they are designed to be ran continuously in "high" mode for DRL. The LED system has a robust large aluminum heatsink plate that the PCBs mount to which keep the chips thermally stable. And its likely that the LED chips aren't particularly driven hard which also facilitates a healthy long life.

Could there be people who have had their turn signal/DRLs fail? Of course. Parts fail. This is nothing new. If you take into consideration how many Ram pickups were sold with the projector lamps over the course of its model years versus how many random people you find on the internet that have said theirs have failed, you'll find that the percentage is a drop in the bucket.

ram drl board.png

corneileous

Newly Enlightened
Its activated through the vehicles computer via the OBD port at the factory. They switch them ON for vehicles sold in the CA market and switch them OFF for vehicles sold to the US market.
Oh, I know how it's activated. It's done through sales codes in the vehicle's body control module but pretty much what I was saying I wasn't sure of was how exactly it's programmed, if it was the turn signal boards or if it was either the low beam or high beam headlights because with the software I have installed on my computer, you can actually designate through the body control module to program your turn signals, low beams, high beams, your fog lights if you have them or "dedicated" DRL which is what goes to the white LEDS on the bottom of the Dodge Durango headlights that are near identical headlights to the premium projectors on my Ram but even before you get to that point of selecting which lights you want to be as your daytime running lights, there's several other different options for what type of DRL's which is, Canada DRL, Europe DRL, Optional DRL and Europe DRL 48.04.

After I bought the software and was checking things out, I saw that the dealer who activated my DRL's had set the configuration to optional DRL and selected "dedicated" as the designation. They could've just selected the turn signals as the designation because being that my headlights don't have those white LEDs in them, the dedicated TRL wire that comes in. My headlights goes to the turn signals.
Just as Virgil stated, the Ram turn signal/DRLs are rated for prolonged steady operation. Which means they are designed to be ran continuously in "high" mode for DRL. The LED system has a robust large aluminum heatsink plate that the PCBs mount to which keep the chips thermally stable. And it's likely that the LED chips aren't particularly driven hard which also facilitates a healthy long life.

Could there be people who have had their turn signal/DRLs fail? Of course. Parts fail. This is nothing new. If you take into consideration how many Ram pickups were sold with the projector lamps over the course of its model years versus how many random people you find on the internet that have said theirs have failed, you'll find that the percentage is a drop in the bucket.

View attachment 37925
Well, maybe they are. I don't know where that guy got his information or whether or not he was just speaking purely out of speculation because like I said, I have no idea if the front turn signals are indeed the default go-to designation as the daytime running lights on these trucks because unless this is just something that can be done with the software I have, there's other designations you can set to be your DRL's but I've already stated my concern of why I didn't want to take a chance and use those as DRLs because if I just so happen to be part of that small percentage that has had a problem with them, I don't wish to fork over 500 bucks for a new headlight that my warranty most likely won't pay for. Sure, there's probably cheaper factory-like replications or buying something used at a junkyard or off eBay but how do I know how good the quality is or if I buy used, how long will it be until that one quits working because there's no way to know what you're buying when you buy used. I like these headlights and I really don't wanna have to buy two aftermarket headlights that are probably 12, $1300 a pair to hopefully get a good set.

EJR

Newly Enlightened
In North America, the Ram turn signals are the DRLs. DRLs don't have to be white. They are allowed to be either amber or white. The HIGH mode of the turn signal (you know the part that flashes super bright when its blinking?) remains ON continuously when the DRL is activated.

Both the turn signal beam and DRL beam are similar in their photometric requirements. Below is a comparison of an amber front turn signal lamp (not the Ram). When it is tested against the DOT requirements for a turn signal and DRL, the beam passes for both.

turn signal DRL.png

There should be no concerns for using the turn signal as a DRL because, as already stated, the LED turn signal was designed to function properly as one. Its not gonna like burn up or get destroyed.

corneileous

Newly Enlightened
In North America, the Ram turn signals are the DRLs.
Says who? But then again, considering that on my truck the actual dedicated DRL wires for both headlights does go to the turn signals so I guess that means that in the fourth GEN Ram trucks, the turn signals are indeed supposed to be the DRL's.

Btw just in case it's not clear, this is not me going along with what you or that Virgil fella said, this is me possibly figuring it out on my own that based on where they put the dedicated DRL wire in my headlights, my turn signals are indeed probably supposed to be in the daytime running lights, if equipped.

DRLs don't have to be white.They are allowed to be either amber or white.

Yes, I know. I haven't seen many but yes, there are some vehicles that have orange DRL's.

The HIGH mode of the turn signal (you know the part that flashes super bright when it's blinking?) remains ON continuously when the DRL is activated.
I know this too. As a matter of fact, I drive one of those very vehicles that lights up the turn signals in a steady light output.

There should be no concerns for using the turn signal as a DRL because, as already stated, the LED turn signal was designed to function properly as one. It's not gonna like burn up or get destroyed.
Well, I have seen where people said those lights have burnt out, even while under warranty and like I said, because an LED is still considered as an actual light bulb, they had to either buy a new headlight out of pocket or just say the heck with it and go buy them a set of aftermarket headlights so whether you're right or wrong about those LED boards being designed to be used as daytime running lights, I'm not gonna do it. If one of those white LED lights I bought quits working, that's a cheap replacement. Those headlights are not, and again, just because they may or may not be built for it, I don't feel like pressing my luck with them.

And another thing; which, this would only apply to me or anyone else who lives in America and not Canada but being that my truck didn't roll off the factory line with DRL's because they're not required here and that I had them enabled after the fact, that is also a possibility they could say I'm on my own if one of those lights quits working and they see the DRL's have been turned on. I would sure hope they wouldn't be that petty but hey, it's a proven fact that warranty companies will go to some pretty low depths to get out of paying a warranty claim if they can find you at fault for anything.

corneileous

Newly Enlightened
Something else I just thought of being that this is a discussion about daytime running lights-

Since the new fifth generation ram pickups, both half-tons and heavy duty's both have the integrated top and bottom white LEDs, CCFLs or whatever they are inside the headlights that are on both day and night, do those lights pass for DRL's in the Canadian market or do those trucks still have to light up the amber turn signal strips?

From all that I've seen, they don't seem to be all that bright and as far as whether or not
they get dimmer when the headlights are on instead of just turning off, I figured this was a legitimate question to ask.

EJR

Newly Enlightened
Since the new fifth generation ram pickups, both half-tons and heavy duty's both have the integrated top and bottom white LEDs, CCFLs or whatever they are inside the headlights that are on both day and night, do those lights pass for DRL's in the Canadian market or do those trucks still have to light up the amber turn signal strips?

Why wouldn't the DRLs pass in Canada?

And yes, the lamps still light up amber when the turn signal is activated and turns back to white when deactivated. There are a few different LED headlight models available depending on the trim which have slightly different ways in how the turns and DRLs operate.

From all that I've seen, they don't seem to be all that bright and as far as whether or not
they get dimmer when the headlights are on instead of just turning off, I figured this was a legitimate question to ask.

I've seen a large mix of these Rams (both 1500 and 2500/3500) on the road during the DAY with the DRLs shining at maximum brightness and others at a dimmed level and even some with no DRL on at all. Don't know if the dealers are supposed to be setting the DRL function when they get them from the factory or what. Or maybe some of these owners were screwing around with AlfaOBD and changed the settings. Whatever it is, I just don't see any uniformity on the streets.

corneileous

Newly Enlightened
Why wouldn't the DRLs pass in Canada?
Well because from what I've seen with my own two eyes- and I see them a lot because I drive for a living, the white lights in these headlights on these trucks just doesn't seem to change intensity whether it's day or night so being that because they are on all the time, I figured they wouldn't pass as legal DRL's in Canada because if they don't get brighter during the DAY or dimmer at NIGHT, they wouldn't be on all time because if they're supposed to be a certain brightness to pass as true DRL's, they'd have to either shut off when the headlights are on or dim to a lower brightness.
And yes, the lamps still light up amber when the turn signal is activated and turns back to white when deactivated. There are a few different LED headlight models available depending on the trim which have slightly different ways in how the turns and DRLs operate.
Well yeah, I would imagine that whether they are true DRL's or not, if they're that close to the turn signals then it would only make sense to make the one side dropout when that same side turn signal is on just to make them more visible.
I've seen a large mix of these Rams (both 1500 and 2500/3500) on the road during the DAY with the DRLs shining at maximum brightness and others at a dimmed level and even some with no DRL on at all. Don't know if the dealers are supposed to be setting the DRL function when they get them from the factory or what. Or maybe some of these owners were screwing around with AlfaOBD and changed the settings. Whatever it is, I just don't see any uniformity on the streets.
If they're American trucks, I highly doubt the dealer is supposed to do anything like that unless the customer wants them activated because they're not required here and I would assume the trucks that roll off the factory line that are destined for Canada, they'd probably already have their DRL's activated to Canadian specs.

But unless the BCM's are different in those trucks, the only thing Alfa OBD can do is activate them, deactivate them, enable or disable the DRL dropout and give you the option to set whatever you want as your DRL's and in my 4th Gen, it's highbeams, lowbeams, fog lights, front turn signals, whatever the SRT lightbar is and if you cut the dedicated DRL wire to each headlight plug, you can hook whatever aftermarket lights you want to those and unless there's a setting I don't know about, you can't disable the DRL dropout when the headlights are switched on.

I have heard of people cutting the wires to those white lights in the 5th gen Rams because unlike my 4th gen, as soon as the key is switched on, those white lights turn on and supposedly a lot of people don't like that. In my truck when the DRL's are activated, they don't turn on until the engine is running and the transmission is shifted into reverse or drive.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Same thing in my neck of the woods. The new inboard DRLs are interesting in appearance when dimly lit up close. One was behind me at a stop light today. The side he had his blinker flashing on was turned off (not uncommon with drl's these days) but the opposite side remained lit. It almost looked like a small 2x2 LED pod arrangement.

EJR

Newly Enlightened
Well because from what I've seen with my own two eyes- and I see them a lot because I drive for a living, the white lights in these headlights on these trucks just doesn't seem to change intensity whether it's day or night so being that because they are on all the time, I figured they wouldn't pass as legal DRL's in Canada because if they don't get brighter during the DAY or dimmer at NIGHT, they wouldn't be on all time because if they're supposed to be a certain brightness to pass as true DRL's, they'd have to either shut off when the headlights are on or dim to a lower brightness.

After some investigating, it looks like in Canada the Ram trucks are using the low beams for the DRL. The white LED strips are more like a position/accent light. Technically speaking the minimum intensity requirement in the regs for a DRL is 500cd so the combo of the white LED strips and the low beams is just enough to meet the minimum requirement even though their really not that visibly bright during the day. Especially when compared to a typical dedicated high intensity LED DRL.

ram drls canada.jpg

hamhanded

Enlightened
I think it varies. My Canadian 2019 Ram uses dimmed high beams for the DRLs. Really soots up the bulbs.

corneileous

Newly Enlightened
Same thing in my neck of the woods. The new inboard DRLs are interesting in appearance when dimly lit up close. One was behind me at a stop light today. The side he had his blinker flashing on was turned off (not uncommon with drl's these days) but the opposite side remained lit. It almost looked like a small 2x2 LED pod arrangement.
I don't understand how that goes inline with what EJR said about DRL uniformity. From what I gather, the DRL's are supposed to dropout on the side the turn signal is blinking on to make them more visible unless the DRL's are far enough away from the turn signals as to not distract visibly from their operation.

Last edited:

corneileous

Newly Enlightened
I think it varies. My Canadian 2019 Ram uses dimmed high beams for the DRLs. Really soots up the bulbs.
Is your Ram a 5th-gen 1500/2500/3500 with the new bodystyle or is it one of the 1500 Classics that is still a 4th-gen body style still made from 2019 to present?

corneileous

Newly Enlightened
@EJR

Well I guess you're right, I guess her white corner lights do get a little dimmer on her Civic when the headlights are on but after comparing hers to the aftermarket ones I bought, mine might be a tad brighter but I really don't think they're bright enough to cause any real glare at night and it's probably because mine aren't marketed or designed to be true daytime running lights.

hamhanded

Enlightened
Is your Ram a 5th-gen 1500/2500/3500 with the new bodystyle or is it one of the 1500 Classics that is still a 4th-gen body style still made from 2019 to present?
5th gen 2500. Well, so I think-- it's the new body style. It's technically a 4.5 gen as I'm told it goes by on Ram forums, something about Stellantis creatively raiding parts bins and selectively revising the body and frame...

Clear as mud. It looks like this. Halogen lights, just like this picture.

0247fd96-aa47-4628-9a91-e81cd7061c96.png

EJR

Newly Enlightened
5th gen 2500. Well, so I think-- it's the new body style. It's technically a 4.5 gen as I'm told it goes by on Ram forums, something about Stellantis creatively raiding parts bins and selectively revising the body and frame...

Ahh, halogen lamps. The discussion we've been having of the 5th gen Ram has been about the LED headlamps.

corneileous

Newly Enlightened
Ahh, halogen lamps. The discussion we've been having of the 5th gen Ram has been about the LED headlamps.
Well not in general, I was just more/less wondering which lights they selected from the factory to be the daytime running lights on the new Ram truck bodystyles irregardless of what headlights they have.

corneileous

Newly Enlightened

View attachment 38089
Yeah, I think they are pretty much just a half breed between the current bodystyle and the previous one because if I'm not mistaken, the cab, doors and the bed are straight off the previous generations. The hood might be different being that the emblems needed an indentation for them but I think really the only thing different is just the front end. It's kinda like when they changed the body up a little on the old third-gens with the different headlights and redesigned taillights.

Last edited:

corneileous

Newly Enlightened
Here's a picture I took of my new lights last night just before it got dark.

Attachments

• 62F95893-63ED-476E-AF1C-364FB65EDA72.jpeg
    62F95893-63ED-476E-AF1C-364FB65EDA72.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 55