Looking for new simple flashlight

zac851

Newly Enlightened
Re: Need new simpler flashlight

Malkoff M61 or M61Hot MD2 with the high/low option? My opinion may be a little biased since the Malkoffs and one Nitecore are the only two high end light brands I've ever owned but I too wanted something more simple as well without all the strobes/SOS options. Has momentary/constant on and just twist the head to go from high to low mode. Where ever the head is turned to is where the light will come on at each time.

Im ooking for something with

-high mode with momentary and constant on

then with a tail cap twist or something to have

low or medium mode with momentary and constant on feature.

no need for strobe. Rechargeable would be nice.

I need something's rugged like the Surefire G2 Tactical. But would like a low mode too. I definitely don't want to have to click through the tail cap to reach a mode. Hence the want for maybe a twist and then it will be only on that mode.

only light that's I've seen that has the features I listed is the elzetta. But it's a little pricey for me.

Jlui

Newly Enlightened
Tanks for the input everyone. I'm looking at the malkoff now. I never heard of them before but they seem to have exactly what I want.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supporter
Malkoff has a rather dedicated bunch of followers that spend their time here, and there's a long thread that's full of useful information if you enjoy reading.

If you're looking for a general purpose beam that'll reach out to ~40 yards with authority, then the M61 or M61N is a great choice. The spill is usefully bright, with a well proportioned brightness compared to the spot. If more reach is needed, while retaining usable spill, the M61HOT would be a better choice. I haven't taken measurements at distance, but it should comfortably reach out to 80-100 yards. I don't own a current generation M61T, but my previous generation units have much tighter spot areas and less spill. Their generation of less lumens gives them longer run time, and that aspect should carry over to the current models. These work with either a single Li-Ion or two primary CR123s.

While you can run an M91T from two IMR 18350s in an MD2, the run time wouldn't be very long. The run time from two CR123s would probably be less than 20 minutes, and it won't work at all from a single 18650.

I just read that you're considering a 3 cell MD3. As long as a belt holster is used, the extra length shouldn't be a problem at all. While I don't use the MD4 very often I'm a big fan of the MD3 size, especially with the larger Hound Dog and Wildcat heads. The M61s also work well from two 18500s or three primary CR123s. One negative aspect to using multiple Li-Ions cells with M61s is that there will be no warning that the batteries are drained and the protection circuit of one of them is about to trip. One second....full brightness, the next second.....no more light. Primaries or a single Li-Ion (for those that support that config) deliver a very long, slow declining output after the drop-in or head has dropped out of regulation and has transitioned to direct drive.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get a clearance Quark Tactical 1xCR123/16340 for ~$25. It's a programmable 2-mode loose/tight bezel UI with forward clicky. Fixed bezel up clip though... but could be used as a head lamp clipped to a hat with duck bill.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Re: Need new simpler flashlight

I think what you need is an old model Foursevens Quark tactical.

Two programmable modes, selected by tightening/loosening the head, then a momentary forward colicky switch at the rear.

A WTB in the marketplace may find you one, you can't have mine. 🙂