Looking For Screw Top Battery Posts

lordraiden

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. Need some help hunting down something. I'm looking for screw top terminals similar to what you see on the old 12v General Purpose Lantern Batteries like they used on the old wide beam lanterns. IE, the posts you find on batteries like this: http://www.batterymart.com/images/products/full/EVR-732.jpg I'm working on a series of projects where posts like that would come in handy, but I don't know where to find them short of scavenging them off of old, spent 12v batteries. Anyone know where I could buy them new, oh say by the dozen or so?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm assuming that these screw top terminals allow a wire to be inserted and then snugged down by tightening the screw. The lantern is probably utilizing a custom made part.

However if you're after a binding post check out the catalogs from these companies.

E.F. Johnson / Emerson Connectivity
Pomona Electronics
Keystone

Go to Digikey or Mouser.com and search for binding posts.

I've used these parts before on projects: p/n 111-0703-001 (blk), 111-0702-001 (red) but there are lots to choose from.

InHisName

Enlightened
I googled around as I was curious too.

Sounds like you want a grounding post for a phono preamp. Don't make yourself "nucking futz". $2.20 buys Mouser stock # 530-111-2223-001, which is a Nickel plated item that's perfect for the job.

Living in a small midwest town, even my local franchise Hardware store has brass thumb screws & brass machine screws, nuts & washers in varying sizes. Find a Hardware store near you via the telephone Yellow Pages on-line & then ask a store clerk for assistance if you do not know your way around the store.

FWIW, I never use plain brass in electrical circuits, especially if it can come into contact with aluminum. eBay has quite a few listings for thumb screws in various colors, including silver. Be careful not to buy *anodized* aluminum for this; it doesn't conduct.

This ebay shows thumbscrews and 'thumbnuts'. The latter may be more what you are seeking. They screw onto a threaded stud just like the batteries. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/brass-thumb-screw

lordraiden

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, Insulated Binding Posts look like they'll do the job. :) Thanks guys.