Looking for start help. Building a dive light.

budde

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

for a long time ive been looking for a dive light for muddy waters, and when searching i always find this thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Two-experimental-flashlights-for-muddy-water

So now I want to make one myself.

Been looking through threads but have had a hard time finding any for beginners that really describes every component i need, and the relation and constrictions between them.

So is there anyone who can point me in the right direction, post link to a thread, or have time to explain me what i need to buy?

Thanks!

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's a big project for a beginner. You'd have to know LEDs, lenses and reflectors, drivers and switches, heatsinking, batteries, machining, and waterproofing.

I'd recommend, especially since you seem more interested in the result than the process, that you start by modifying an existing dive light, or perhaps a MAG mod. You'll find lots of info about modifying MAG lights for diving, and you could simply change out the white LEDs for amber. For an existing dive light, it may be as simple as changing the LEDs (though that isn't as simple as it sounds). The rest of the light should be usable as is. Either way, the driver may need to be modified or changed, but in many cases this would not be necessary.

It would also help if we knew more about the light you want - brightness, beam pattern, burn time, max depth, handheld or canister, etc. Knowing what skills and tools you have access to would help as well.