looking for that just right head lamp...

papasan

Enlightened
...maybe someone has seen it...the petzl zoom is pretty close, if it was only waterproof...the duo is close, but i don't need two lights and three batteries serves me better, just too bulky, and the price is getting up there now...

so a well balanced headlamp (batteries on back, light on front) that's waterproof...any suggestions?...

btw, this is to modify for an LED/halogen dual thing...

papasan

Enlightened
looks alright, but not exactly what i had in mind...

1) want all my gear to use AAs, easier to pack and in an emergancy can scavenge batteries from something else...

2) LEDs are great for run-time but they suck for throw, i'ld like a halogen or xenon light in there for distance...

3) i would like to put in a little ic controller for dimability...like a hi/low setting...but this is icing on the cake...

4) want a project to tinker around with...

oh yeah, and 5) it doesn't say it's waterproof, so i wouldn't trust it to be...

papasan

Enlightened
the thing about princeton lights is, and this is only from observation, i've never actually used any of them, tha they seem unbalanced...i like the idea of the batteries being oposite the light like in the petzl zoom or duo...

i have a lightwave illuminator now, and it's a pretty good light but i have some gripes...it's kind of cheese-ily made, the twist-to-turn-on method feels flimsy (and i've caught it turned on in my bag a few times, weight on top of it squeezed it on) and it really could use 2 more LEDs for close-up work...also, a filiment bulb would do much better for throw...

a friend of mine has a duo and i've tried that on...it feels more like a hat when you put it on because the weight is well centered, unlike the lightwave or alot of other headlights you don't have to make the headband tight so that it won't slip which eventually becomes uncomfortable especially if you have a hat on underneath...it's pretty bulky tho, if they got rid of the low-powered lamp and put in 6 LEDs they could make the emitter half the size...

anyhow...perfection is hard to find...

papasan

Enlightened
mostly spelunking and camping...doesn't need to be waterproof to 500 feet or anything, i just don't want to have to worry about it when it starts raining or if i slip and end up in some water while spelunking...

funk

Enlightened
I guess I might as well speak here on Princetons behalf again (I am on a roll).

I expected the same, but the first time I put on a solo I was amazed. The balance is great and there is a certain amount of freedom about not having the batteries on the back of my head.

I would also say that the construction is very good. We use them for plane jumping. One of my mates dropped a tec 40 from some 1000 ft - no problem! Plus they are water proof - all of the lights use the same quality of plastics. I have broken many Petzl's and have been pleased with the durability of Princeton.

kb0rrg

Enlightened
I have had a petzal mega for 8+ years. I do a lot of packpacking with it. I am not worried about getting it in the rain. Underwater is another issue. The battery compartment is sealed well, but the head is marginal at best. If the light was off, the bulb would probably survive if it were momentarly submerged. I finally had to replace the wire in mine after it quit working. Now it is a back up to my new petzel mega.

The new mega has a long cord so that the batteries can be clipped to the belt. This is a very nice feature when you wil be wearing it a long time. If not the batteries can be attached to the head band for quick on and off. The extra long wire, plus the extra strain on it makes me wonder about its durability, but I guess I am not going to worry about it. I 'm just going to use it and have fun
smile.gif

I don;t own any PT heandlamps, but my impression is that they would take 2 hands to turn on and off since they are kinda stiff. I have heard that the battery compartment covers break easily. I have several PT handhelds, they are very durable, bright and waterproof.

papasan

Enlightened
princeton's headlamps have the twist on switches?...another minus in my view since there are good waterproof switches out there like what the duo uses and the streamlight flashlight i got...

good to know about their build quality tho, i will keep that in mind as i look...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Check this new headlamp from PrincetonTec it is called the "switchback'. You can use the LED's or the halogen, they are both in the head lamp. I like this option rather than swaping bulbs. Also, it will run on 2AA's or C's. Kinda pricey but this one looks like a winner...and its waterproof too.
http://www.karstsports.com/printecswitl.html

kb0rrg

Enlightened
I'm very excided about the PT switchback. I wonder when they will be out. I read that the max output is 7 watts. That is about the same as a 8x !!

funk

Enlightened
I saw the preproduction Black Diamond headlamps - they seemed a little flimsy. The 4 LED seemd interesting though - it switches between 2 and 4 LEDs - looks like a lego block but they do not appear to be very rugged. They didn't seem too commited the light - I think they are just trying to offer something against Petzl for their climbing gear(were their money is).

papasan

Enlightened
too bad, they could have been cool...i don't think that 4 LEDs are good enough for a headlamp tho, 6 at least 8 is better i think...as LED voltage goes down their efficiencey goes up (to a certain point at least) so it makes sense to have more and not push them so hard...

funk

Enlightened
put 4-6-8 whatever - the LED headlamp will still only be good around the camp. You are not going to use them for trail work alone. That's why the Switchback is so intrigueing.

Saw the Fusion briefly, not much to say - seems like a toy, but I will have to wait to comment too much - a bit pricey though. Can't tell from the pic's how it rotates either - doesn't make sense to me - can anybody tell?

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Switchable is the perfect headlamp based on its description although I still couldn't figure out how its redundant power source works (3v vs 6v).

Another good headlamp will be the Actionlight. However, I think they're seriously backlogged and it's pretty expensive as a simple camping light. I think this is a great light for caver and serious backpacker.

Alan

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by funk:

Saw the Fusion briefly, not much to say - seems like a toy, but I will have to wait to comment too much - a bit pricey though. Can't tell from the pic's how it rotates either - doesn't make sense to me - can anybody tell?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, got to admit, I`m stumped too. May be the head comes off and you move it to a differant part of the body?