Lost a cat today......: (

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Originally posted by tiktok 22:
...snip... All were rescues. ...snip...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have 2 "fur babies", and both were rescues too. Coquette is getting on in years (almost 13, and now has a heart murmur) - Tuxedo, who is 10 has VAS - Vaccine Associated Sarcoma. That is a TRULY nasty disease - a cancer with a VERY low cure rate, and the horrible irony of it is that it only affects cats that get "good" care - it comes from getting shots!

DO NOT allow your vet to vaccinate in the scruff - per protocol, vaccines are now supposed to be given in the rear legs, as low as possible. This is because just about the ONLY sure cure for VAS is to amputate. Trust me, if I had the choice between a 3 legged cat (a "tripod") and a cat in a wood box in the ground, I'll take the tripod.

Tux was diagnosed with VAS last April, and had his first operation then. The margins were "adjacent" - he had a re-occurrence in September - His second operation was the day after Labor Day. That time we got clean lateral margins, and a "close" on the deep margin. At this point, there has been no re-occurrence, however, there is less than a 15% chance that there will not be one
frown.gif

I know way too many people who have had their cats cross the Rainbow Bridge due to this one
bluesigh.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
We also have 2 fur people (not babies anymore) that were also rescues, and have always gotten our animals that way. I would encourage anyone wanting a cat or dog to get them from your local shelter. There are many loving healthy wonderful friends you can find there! Even if you are interested in specific breeds you can usually chat with the folks there and express your interest and if they get an animal that meets what you're looking for they will let you know. There isn't any reason you have to have that pure-bred doggy right this minute is there?

About VAS, you can get a really good picture of what kind of Vet the one you've chosen is by how much of this new thinking they tell you about when you go in. We thought we were happy with our previous vet, but after moving we started with a new one and the first thing she did was to have a very long discussion with me about VAS and the fact that they have now decided that vaccinations last at least a year longer than previously thought, so it turns out that my cats didn't even need new shots this year. That cost her money in spending so much time with me and not actually doing anything more than a checkup for my cats. This lets me know that this is a good vet and we'll continue to go back!

So if your vet grumbles about any of this stuff, get a new one!

Charles, all the best for your cat!

**DONOTDELETE**

Newly Enlightened
I understand the frequency of vaccinations is (arbitrarily) based on just how long the manufacturer happened to test the vaccine. If a test animal was inoculated and the vaccine is found to be effective a year later, then the manufacturer can assume the vaccine is good for a year and will suggest yearly innoculations. If the manufacturer happens to stretch the test to two years, and has positive results, you are told to vaccinate every two years..if the vaccine lasts longer than that no one knows, unless they do their own test on their own cat which is a little less or the same cost as another innoculation...so in some instances there is a choice, get an innoculation, or get tested...
I haven't yet tried to do this to my cat, but will inquire at the vet's next time.. please feel free to correct my notion of this..

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aragorn,

I respect your decision to not adopt any more cats. I have one dog, I love her, and as much as I love dogs, I do not want any more.

BUT, if this cat (the brother) has a human owner, and you live in an area where the is animal controll, you should consider reporting the person and the cat to animal control.

Even if they eventually decide to put the brother to sleep, that is the better choice as compared to him being hit by a vehicle.

No easy choices here.

The Third choice is to let him be, and let circumstances take control.

You could, if you felt up to it, confront the so called pet owner.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Originally posted by Ted the Led:
I understand the frequency of vaccinations is (arbitrarily) based on just how long the manufacturer happened to test the vaccine. ...snip....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You've basically got it right

As an aside, they can actually do what is known as a titer to figure out if your pet needs to be vaccinated again

The "interesting" part is that there is only ONE case where an animal that has received 2 rabies vaccinations has not had lifetime immunity - and that cat NEVER developed any immunity.

Sigh

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Originally posted by James S:
..snip...
So if your vet grumbles about any of this stuff, get a new one!

Charles, all the best for your cat!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks - and I agree - in fact my vet has become agressive on this. Even better than a leg shot (but MOST cats will not allow you to do it) is in the tail, near the tip - they can then amputate the tail

BTW There is an excellent VAS support group on Yahoo groups

Kirk

Enlightened
I believe critters have souls. But even if they don't, so what? I care about my dog and 2 cats. They are family. Why anybody would think you were weird for caring about an animal is beyond me. I feel sorry for them for not allowing another living non-human thing to get close to them. They must have pretty empty lives.
Kirk

Dreck

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by PercaDan:
frown.gif
frown.gif
bluesigh.gif
Ya' done good, Trev ya' done good.
If there are no animals in heaven, then i'm not going.

Dan
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I second that!

Dreck

Newly Enlightened
Apparently, there are many animal lovers in the CPF. I would like to list myself and my wife also. Due to medical problems, after twenty years of marriage we have no children. So we got cats,and a lot of them. Most from shelters, some off the street. We consider them more as companions then pets. In the past year, we have lost three of our little fuzzyheads. All to various medical problems. All I can say is: Love them while you got'em because they stay for such a short time. And I blame stupid poeple for all the strays that will never have love and a warm place to sleep and a full tummy. Sorry if I got a little long-winded, but I am very passionate about the animal overpopulation problem.

Dreck

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Aragorn:
The cats where as far as i know ate from a bowl of catfood that someone put out for them as well as some water to drink. There are very shy and I never have gotten within 10ft of them though I always look for them to check on them. I do know that we have catfood in the trunk and sometimes leave it for variouse strays. The brother Will not live more than 6 months without the companionship of his sister. I have 2 cats and can't adopt another tho i want to. I will stop in to the store of a cat owner and request that she look out for him when she can. Face it - adoption is near imposible when you have a cat as feral as he is.

thanks for the support and kindness. I appriciat it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's tough to adopt a feral cat but it can be done if he is young enough. If you have the desire you can do it. We have two.

Dreck

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by BuddTX:
I realise, that, in a split second, my dog could get hit by a car, in my relatively quiet neighborhood, should she get off her leash, or scoot out the door unexpectedly, but I am a responsible pet owner, and would be devistated if something ever happened to my little Hadley Sue.

However, people that just let their pet roam around, are just asking for trouble.

Sorry for your loss, maybe it's time to adopt a pet of your own, and give that pet a good home!

There are several variations of the Rainbow Bridge.

http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/6851/rainbowindex.html

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.
His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers.
Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.
The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

- Author Unknown
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I want to thank you for that version of the Rainbow bridge, I had to print it.

Latest posts