Lost my Olight i3S. What to replace it with?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could get another one, but if there is something better, I would rather get that.

The i3s came out a few years ago. There has to be something better since.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is your budget and battery format that you are looking for?

I also carry a i3S on my keychain. Were I to lose it, for a quick fix replacement I think I would want to try a Thrunite Ti3 in neutral white (my preference neutral/warm white).

If your budget allows for it, maybe consider a Muyshondt Mako Mk II (2-stage progressive twisty: regular output and high output options available).

Outside of the AAA battery size, how about the TnC Nano-Lux (3 mdoe mule head)?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have stated price range, etc. -- aaa battery; less than $30.

Anyway, you sold me on the Ti3. A quick google search indicates that it is an improved i3S. They ran out of NW, so I ordered CW. Thanks for the response.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought it too soon before looking closely at the output range -- firefly-low-high. There is essentially no medium mode. I don't care for firefly modes. And then there is that useless disco mode. A beacon mode on medium would be awesome, on the other hand. The Asians' obsession with dance club flashing lights is evident in their flashlights.

Anyway, I won't cancel the order but the search for the perfect AAA light continues.

cliwilnew

Newly Enlightened
I bought it too soon before looking closely at the output range -- firefly-low-high. There is essentially no medium mode. I don't care for firefly modes. And then there is that useless disco mode. A beacon mode on medium would be awesome, on the other hand. The Asians' obsession with dance club flashing lights is evident in their flashlights.

Anyway, I won't cancel the order but the search for the perfect AAA light continues.

Take a look at the Maratac AAA Rev 3 in HA at countycomm. It has modes of 1.5, 40, and 138 (no moonlight and a useful medium). $29.75 and includes a diffuser.

UnderPar

Enlightened
What is your budget and battery format that you are looking for?

I also carry a i3S on my keychain. Were I to lose it, for a quick fix replacement I think I would want to try a Thrunite Ti3 in neutral white (my preference neutral/warm white).

If your budget allows for it, maybe consider a Muyshondt Mako Mk II (2-stage progressive twisty: regular output and high output options available).

Outside of the AAA battery size, how about the TnC Nano-Lux (3 mdoe mule head)?

I was supposed to buy this light together when I purchased my SC52w L2 last June but held back for no reasons at all. This is really worth trying. Good recommendation for you............. and me as well... :grin2:;)

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the Maratac AAA Rev 3 in HA at countycomm. It has modes of 1.5, 40, and 138 (no moonlight and a useful medium). $29.75 and includes a diffuser.

40lm medium is little too much for me. My ideal output range is 2-20-80. I have the original Maratac AAA, btw.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a i3s and if I lost it, I would just buy another. I think that the spread is fine and I don't mind the hidden strobe.

For <$22 shipped, it's hard to pass up for a AAA light.

I'd probably be more pissed losing an Eneloop, over the light, however, lol.

Chris

cliwilnew

Newly Enlightened
40lm medium is little too much for me. My ideal output range is 2-20-80. I have the original Maratac AAA, btw.

The new fenix e05 is 8, 25 and 80 lumens and only $20. Just a little high on the low setting.
Also nitecore t2s with 2, 25 and 50 lumen settings for $28. Has a blinky mode and a bit low on the high setting.

It's nearly impossible to get the perfect light isn't it. ; )

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it's hard to beat the i3s for efficiency. It was good enough that I stopped looking at single AAA lights after acquiring it.

And, it seems, there are a few single AAA lights that I was not aware of until I am informed of them in this thread.

The new E05 is intriguing and definitely an improvement over the old E05. But they didn't get the low mode right.

The t2s can't tail stand.

I don't want to get another i3s.

GatorMedic

Newly Enlightened
Have an Olight i3s (actually two) and like it. However, don't like that it starts on medium mode, so I just bought the Thrunite Ti3. Should get it in the mail on Monday, but the spacing between lumen levels might bother me. Just received the L3 Illumination L10C in the mail last night, and so far really like it. It is AA as opposed to AAA so that might bother you. The L10 is the twisty version and is a little bit shorter if that would appeal to you. It has the option of three mode vs four mode (with firefly mode the extra). The step up in size from AAA to AA actually hasn't bothered me so far like I thought it might. The L10/L10C is still easily pocketed. Another option you could look into is the FourSevens Atom A0. I have the red LED version and it's similar in size to the i3s. Personally I only bought it for the red led and would not choose the white version over the i3s, but your tastes might be different.