Lowest low light level - comparative beamshots

Enlightened
Re: How low can your light go?

Left iTP A1 EOS 1.8 lumens. Right budget light Xeno E03 XM-L, surprise surprise! (people said this has a very bright low). It is on an empty AA from the remote control, and can do this for a good several hours. I think it is like 0.05 lumens or something.

original.jpg

nbp

Flashaholic
My HDS lights do .07 lm on super low, but they are positively blinding compared my my T1A on its lowest setting. So I wouldn't be surprised if that was something like .005 lm. It's incredible.

Lighteous

Enlightened

My HDS Rotary, Nitecore IFE1 and Sunwayman V10R Ti each have such a low setting that it isn't even useful--or barely so.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast

MY SPYs will go lower than the trit installed on them. Not sure how low Dave said they could go.

manoloco

Enlightened

Theres a good thread with beamshots of very low settings on lights: Lowest low level comparitave beamshots.

Thanks DM51!, good thread indeed, sorry if this thread is found redundant, most lights here dont even produce a visible beamshot but i can see many practical similarities (as to know what lights can go really low) with the other thread.

maybe its a good idea to have this one merged or closed, dont know if the info here could be confusing there without a beamshot to show.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
My Eigers can get stupid low but they are hard to get just right. When I finally get it as low as it can get, the light seems to "creep" up to a brighter setting just from me holding it while not even touching the head. Set the light down and it'll hold it's current output. I guess it just the nature of the beast..

BillG

Newly Enlightened

my eternal light goes pretty low. don't know the lumens. the more important thing though is how long can it run? on a set of lithium AA cells it can run 24hrs for 30 days!! that is not a misprint....24/30days! that was verified by a forumite on here about 5yrs ago when he hung it in his bathroom ....the funny thing is, he gave up after the 30 days. so we don't really know the full runtime. simply amazing.

luceat lux vestra

Enlightened

Mine is the low of the low, see what I do is take my quark AA and cover the bezel with alu foil, then poke a pin or needle hole in the center of the alu foil and you have a incredibly low, lowest mode :nana:.........well you asked!

Use some solar filter foil (to look at the sun with a telescope) for a real lowlow, if you don't care about extreme runtime :)

Enlightened

My HDS Rotary, Nitecore IFE1 and Sunwayman V10R Ti each have such a low setting that it isn't even useful--or barely so.

Yeah, IMO for me the lowest low that is useful is really like 0.1lm. Seriously in a war tactical situation, i wouldn't even switch on any lights at all unless back in base or hidden from view or something. That's what my training taught me, and from my experience in NV. Even with a small low-lumen incan and front-window all taped up with a small red filter, you can easily spot someone or rather "something" over a mile away in complete darkness (contrast), aided with NV of course.

AnoyingOrange

Newly Enlightened

Yeah, IMO for me the lowest low that is useful is really like 0.1lm. Seriously in a war tactical situation, i wouldn't even switch on any lights at all unless back in base or hidden from view or something. That's what my training taught me, and from my experience in NV. Even with a small low-lumen incan and front-window all taped up with a small red filter, you can easily spot someone or rather "something" over a mile away in complete darkness (contrast), aided with NV of course.
That's really interesting, I though that very low mode wasn't so useful, but now I think you're right. :huh:

fnj

Enlightened

Would be nice if somebody could do a ZebraLight SC51 and an SC600 at the exact same test conditions.

And anything over 1 lumen should be summarily dismissed from the discussion.

Pöbel

Enlightened

if just the runtimes of all these lights would better correlate with the brightness. The Ra does several hundrets of hours on it's lowest models. Jetbeam and Sunway only much less alhtough their low is lower. That's the price you gotta pay for the infinite brightness controll.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am a big fan of low lumens. I like the .1 or .5 lumen outputs. Especially for night time use as mentioned above by 2100. We must have gone to the same school for training. ;)

Enlightened

I am a big fan of low lumens. I like the .1 or .5 lumen outputs. Especially for night time use as mentioned above by 2100. We must have gone to the same school for training. ;)

0.1, 0.5 lumen is fine for stuff like reading a map and still trying to maintain your dark adapted vision. I mean it also depends, if it's a XM-L in a 20mm reflector then 1 lumen is also pretty ok. But those 0.0018L, i haven't really seen it but i feel that it is too low. For eg, I have a Ultrafire UF-H2 which is a 90 deg XR-E floodlight. I think it's just 2 lumens at its lowest. If you cover it up leaving only like 1%, that's 0.02L. I think that's somewhat too dim to be useful. And I think some lights you can even stare right into the LED and it's still dim, what....0.0001 lumen or something?

manoloco

Enlightened

if just the runtimes of all these lights would better correlate with the brightness. The Ra does several hundrets of hours on it's lowest models. Jetbeam and Sunway only much less alhtough their low is lower. That's the price you gotta pay for the infinite brightness controll.

Peak also has great runtimes on lowest you can get thanks to QTC

manoloco

Enlightened

QTC stands for Quantum Tunneling Composite,

its a rubbery material that when compressed becomes conductive, and is sensible to the level of compression so the more it is compressed the more electricity is carries, if not compressed its an insulator.

What has it been used in flashlights so far, is to have infinite variable range of levels, for example the Peak Logan can go from 0-300 lumens and all the levels in between.

it does so by having a capsule with the QTC pill in and the more you twist the light more light you get or in the case of a button, the more you press the button, the more light you get.

since its not a resistor theres no efficiency loss at the QTC pill, meaning better runtime.