LS 1 x AA Twisty Problem

Matt_USAF

Newly Enlightened
Got a problem where the 1 x AA twisty is not working in 2 different LS's. Adding foil was tried, but failed. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have been playing around with a few of my LS lights and find that all of my ARC LS lights run pretty decent off of a single AA Lithium cell. I had to hold the AA in the bezel and touch a wire to the body and the end of the loose battery but it worked very brightly or so it seemed. Why will a single AA tail pack not work on my newer bodies?...Is it because the current is too low or simply because the older single AA packs will not fit correctly? Like I said mine worked pretty well off of the single AA Lithium however I do not know how long it would run and may not even be worth the effort in the long run however I am still curious...For what it is worth all of my LS models I tested were modded to 667 mAh so I am not sure if this was a factor in them running from a single AA or not.

dbrad

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Matt! (I have the back we're discussing here)
Got home late and got your message and checked out this thread you started. Very helpful, but looks like I'll need to work for a solution. Both of my LS's are later models, but then so is yours, so that's not it. One of mine is a luxIII mod that I have to put some foil in the 123 twisty back to get the contact right, so I thought this would work, but it no matter how much I used, it wouldn't light. My conclusion is must be the converter. I might need a li-ion to get more current for it. My other LS is a couple of years old and it doesn't work either, so I'm stumped except for the coverter answer here, too. I like the shape enough to look into the higher voltage of the li-ion rechargeables, of which I know little, but I find it hard to believe Arc sold these for this type of battery only.
-David

Matt_USAF

Newly Enlightened
The newer Arc LS I ran it off of is modded by Litfuse with a Lux 3 at 611 mA.

It still does not explain the problem you have with BOTH versions you have.

dbrad

Newly Enlightened
Toatally baffled: have been using this light for a while now whith an alkaline battery. Why won't a NIMH work?

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Koala has it right. The first LS could run on the voltage of one NiMH. But when using 2 NiMH cells, it would eventually run down the voltage so much that the weaker one would be damaged. So Peter raised the cutoff voltage in subsequent LS versions so they wouldn't damage the NiMH cells. Unfortunately these newer ones won't run on one NiMH.

So you need a different head for use with one NiMH than you do when using two.

To put it another way, if you have a device that will work with one NiMH, it will damage one of the cells when you use two or more in series, and let it run long enough.

I suppose this is true for disposable cells also, but it's not important if you damage a disposable cell by running it down too far, because it's disposable. It might leak though, if you didn't remove it promptly.

cy

Flashaholic
try a 14500 li-ion, that's the hot ticket for your AA twisty.

early first runs were voltage regulated and would light with 1x AA with no problems.

Rev2 LS were current regulated and may not light up with 1.2V.