LumaPower M1 Hunter

skiersl9

Newly Enlightened
Hey does anyone have the LumaPower M1 Hunter? If you do what do you think of it? From what flashlightreviews says it appears to be a very nice light.

Lightmax

Newly Enlightened
fnmag said:
It's an excellent light. I run it on 18650s and like it a lot. Pick one up.

Does it really throw to the same level as reported in Flashlight reviews? Why run it on 18650's , vs CR123a's ?

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightmax...18650's are a great battery- lots of power, and cheaper by far for anyone who uses their light more than just occassionally. Otherwise the 123's are better for low time users.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one and it does live up to the 5 stars given by Flashlightreviews.com

Very good light for the money, The tint on mine is snow white! It out throws the surefire E2e, 6P, scorpion, strion, 9P, Lionheart, and just about any led I have. Very cool light for the money, the machining is superb.

AlexGT

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightmax said:
Why run it on 18650's , vs CR123a's ?

Free runtime! When CR123 lights first came out, I found that I liked to carry them, but usually also had a 1xAA or 2xAA light which I ended up using a lot more than the 'better' CR123 light.

Now that rechargeable R123s, 17500s, 18650s etc are available, I can run the crap out of the lights that used to be pretty expensive to operate.

SEMIJim

Enlightened
hsjrev said:
Anybody get both reflectors? Which one do you like best?
From what I've been reading: Some like the plain reflector, for the throw, others prefer the OP reflector because it softens and widens the hot-spot a bit, and eliminates the ringiness from the CREE emitter (mainly only noticed when you're white-wall hunting, most say). Best thing you can do it read those two threads I referenced earlier.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
M1 Cree Shiny Reflector @ 96"

dsc04202smallej3.jpg

M1 Cree, OP Reflector @ 96"

dsc04208smallha9.jpg

M1 Cree Shiny Reflector @ 96" Stepped down exposure.

dsc04203smallai2.jpg

M1 Cree, OP Reflector @ 96" Stepped down exposure.

dsc04209smallzb4.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I really like the M1 Cree, OP Reflector.

GeoffS

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking about buying this light as well but I may wait for the 1000mA version. Should be coming out soon.

Does anyone have a view on whether it will be much brighter than the current one?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I already have it. Oh, wait a minute... that's a Huntlight FT-01. Nevermind.

SEMIJim

Enlightened
GeoffS said:
I am thinking about buying this light as well but I may wait for the 1000mA version. Should be coming out soon.
Apparently not. When I asked in the LumaPower M1 sales thread if, after production resumed after the Chinese Lunar New Year, the M1 XR-E would be bumped up to 1000mA, Ricky replied with this: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1846761&postcount=842

So it seems that "enhancement" has no specific ETA at this time.

GeoffS said:
Does anyone have a view on whether it will be much brighter than the current one?
A couple of comments in that same thread suggested it would not. LumaPower has yet to comment definitively, but I have to wonder: In response to an earlier question, back at the beginning of the month, LumaPower replied that the 1A variable-power version would be available "After Chinese Luna New Year : End Of Feb-2007." Now they say not. I wonder if the intervening discussion about whether going to 1000mA on that light would produce appreciably more light, or mostly more heat and less run-time, as a couple others suggested, has caused them to re-think that?

The thing I don't understand is this: ISTM the LED manufacturer should be able to mount the emitter on an appropriate heat-sink, with temperature, current and light measurement, and generate precise graphs showing the relationships betwee the three, all the way up to the emitter's rated maximums. ISTM there should be no guesswork.

Timdog68

Newly Enlightened
Ive been scowering this site looking for upgrade/replacements of my three old 3D cell mag lights and I think I found the winner.
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/lumapower_m1.htm
The review compares very nicely output and runtime wise and I the smaller format is great as well.
Plus I dont have to worry about the batteries nearly as much since they are lithium verses akaline.
I leave theses mag lights in my car with fresh batteries only to find them drained when I need them.

whc

Enlightened
I can only recommend the M1 XR-E, I simply love this flashlight, everything I personally have bean looking for in a flashlight, and when Lumapower releces the tactical switch it will be perfect :)...

I personally like it best with the OP-Type reflector, I though have 2 M1's with both types, but most of the time I will go for the OP-type, only when I seriously need some throw, then I will go for the smooth one.

GeoffS

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried this light with 2X RCR123A 3.7v rechargeables?

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
Yep.

Brighter than with a 18650, though not even close to the runtime. I use 'em when I need maximum output, or when showing the light to the uninitiated :)

-=[ Grant ]=-

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened
I get about 1 hour of runtime on high with a pair of protected AW RCR123's. Low not tested. Yes it's a bit brighter than with a 18650... but that's because the light doesn't exactly run in full regulation on a single 3.7v rechargeable. Battery voltage too close to the vf of the emitter.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it really throw to the same level as reported in Flashlight reviews? Why run it on 18650's , vs CR123a's ?
This light works using a buck convertor, meaning that voltage is stepped down as needed before it is supplied to the LEDs. Running CR123s of any sort, rechargeable or primary, will be feeding the driver between 6 and 8 volts, meaning the buck convertor will nearly always step this down and maintain a higher brightness with perfect regulation until the batteries run out. This gives you a runtime of 1hr 20 minutes on high, and 6hr 10 min on low (quoted from flashlight reviews)

Running an 18650, where voltage starts out at 4.2 volts, gives you similar regulated high-brightness for the first part of the runtime. Then, as the battery voltage sags to below the output of the voltage converter, it simply direct-drives after that. That results in diminishing brightness toward the end of the runtime, but the runtime is much, much longer. 18650s have about 40% more total energy content than 2 CR123s, but the converter is more efficient the closer the input voltage is to the ouptut voltage, this combined with the somewhat lower average brightness (and the fact that the LED is more efficient when underdriven) gives an amazing runtime of 4hr 10min on high, and 26hr 38min on low.

The ability to change the properties of a light that much by a battery swap is actually quite attractive to me -- max brightness on 123s, or extremely long runtime on 18650 (carrying this light and a spare charged 18650 or two would be sufficient for a short trip)

skunksoup

Newly Enlightened
Loved my M-1 so much I ordered the D-mini and love it to!! Now everyone in my family is on the D-mini bandwagon!!!