Lumapower M1 Tactical - Review - UPDATE: Details of new holster from Lumapower

supes

Enlightened
Re: Lumapower M1 Tactical - Review - Many pictures, comparing to old M1

Very nice review, whc! Thanks! I'm still savoring from your Amilite T5 review and saving for one, now this new M1?! :D

The tactical clickie, the only way to go!

EnterTheSwamp

Newly Enlightened

Just got my M1. Nice little flash light, that is actually smaller than I thought it would be. Way too big for an Every Day Carry but for what I want its a good size.

Some advice for the mechanically challenged like me who are thinking about changing the tail switch to the two stage, or installing the glow in the dark tail cap.

When you unscrew the bottom of light, you will need some needle nose plyers to remove the tactical switch. But before that, you need to bang the bottom section against your hand so that the metal piece with the spring comes out. You don't need to remove the spring(As I did, and then had a hell of a time getting the spring back in) After that you will need to remove the black insert with your needle nose plyers. Use the two cuts on the side of the plastic insert to squeeze the tip of the plyers into and then turn. Once out then you can replace the tail cap with the glow in the dark one.

Chao

Enlightened

:goodjob: many thanks for this great review.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

whc,

Thanks for the feedback, I will probably just remove the clips from my M1's.
The variation in anodizing color does not bother me. You are right many lights have slight variations incuding Surefires. I was just wondering if I was seeing something only visible in the photo's or it was noticeable in your light as well. I will soon post pics of my LumaPower collection with my critiques of each of my lights. I have photos of the dings.
They are areas where it looks like a cutting bit took an extra chunk out and then the light was anodized right over them.
My biggest beef with my M1's is I really dislike reverse clickies. I also do not like two power lights that go from low to hi.
Some people may wonder why I got the M1's knowing they were reverse clickies and the Cree model goes off - low - hi. Simple, they are nice looking fun lights to have and great lights to loan out so people stay away from my best lights :D .

Thanks again whc and keep up the good work.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

sims2k

Enlightened

whc,

Thanks for the review. Now if only the clip is made as strong as the one on my SF L2 I would be a happy camper...

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast

whc said:
the LED in one of the tactical flashlights I own is not 100% perfectly centred, not too bad, but enough to make the famous XR-E ring off centre, and if you are a perfectionist like me, that is irritating :D...

whc, I had this problem with my M1 when I changed out the reflectors. Here is something that you can try to center the emitter. It worked for me.

Remove bezel
Loosen the reflector retaining ring
Rotate the reflector 90 degrees or so
Tighten reflector retaining ring
Re-assemble bezel and check the centering of the emitter
If not centered, try again

whc

Enlightened

NutSAK said:
whc, I had this problem with my M1 when I changed out the reflectors. Here is something that you can try to center the emitter. It worked for me.

Remove bezel
Loosen the reflector retaining ring
Rotate the reflector 90 degrees or so
Tighten reflector retaining ring
Re-assemble bezel and check the centering of the emitter
If not centered, try again
Have tried that, but the LED is too much off centre, to make it possible to "make up for it" that way :(.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's a shame. The build quality on these is exceptional otherwise.

I would say that these are the best built mass produced lights I've seen outside of Surefire.

Thanks for the great review.

Daekar

Enlightened

I took my M1 out for its first real test-run last night and boy was I impressed! I was running a Pila 18650 (600P I think they call them?) and couldn't believe how bright and how far this light will throw. Any maglite I've ever had is totally obsolete, this thing outperforms them all and then some. My girlfriend and I were out walking and as we were walking by the Virginia Tech sheep herds, I flashed it over to see what I could see. We were able to see sheep herds 2 hills over! I have no idea what the distance was, and I wouldn't have thought anything of it but my girlfriend chimed in, telling me that those sheep were quite a good distance away - she was impressed, and she's no flashaholic! It was actually bright enough for us to see (not 2 hills away, closer than that) a black lamb stuck in a feeder, so over the fence she went with the light (she's getting her Ag degree, not me, so she wanted to do it) to rescue the lamb. I was saying later that now I have the perfect pocket light, now I need something bigger (thinking milkyspit or elektrolumens), but she said immediately that if the light were bigger she couldn't have handled it and the lamb (which fought during rescue - silly sheep :)) at the same time. Like I said, I think she was impressed!

JKL

Enlightened

Thanks for the photos and review. Very nice collection.:goodjob:

DeLighted

Newly Enlightened

Kudos on a great review. It really shows what this light will do. I am hoping to get on from next weeks supply.:kewlpics:

whc

Enlightened

Just got the new holster from Lumapower today, was not exactly what Lumapower described in earlier production days, should have a battery compartment, and magnet closures, but the final product did not have any of those.

But for $10 I think it is well worth the money after all, fit and finish is good, and you can adjust the Velcro "bands" holding the flashlight, if the flashlight has bigger diameter, that means it will fit just about any 2xCR123A flashlights on the marked (I think).

The "lid" can be removed, the flashlight really is held in tight enough to not needing the "lid", but if you want to bee 100% sure that the flashlight will not drop from the holster, you can just keep the "lid" on.

The belt holder is a "Fast-Detach" kind, you can by pressing a little button take the holster off the belt, without removing the "Fast-Detach" holder (known from many cell phones holsters), this way you can use the flashlight in without removing the holster (though requires the lid to be removed, and is not the comfortable to use in holster).

Now to some pictures :)

Comes in a "plastic bag"
DSC02335.JPG

DSC02336.JPG

Disassembled
DSC02337.JPG

Inside elastic is holding the flashlight two
DSC02338.JPG

With old style M1
DSC02341.JPG

Old style M1 without the lid
DSC02342.JPG

M1 Tactical
DSC02345.JPG

M1 Tactical without the lid
DSC02344.JPG

Closeup of the Fast-Detach belt clip
DSC02346.JPG

DSC02347.JPG

darkninja67

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the review. The M1 Tactical will be my first torch. I guess it is a pretty good choice from what I have read here.

darkninja67

Newly Enlightened
Hi and welcome to the forum :D.

It is a very good quality flashlight, think you will like it allot...
Thank you.
It looks like a good first light for me. I just need to learn a bit more about batteries. The exploding cell stories worry me a bit.

whc

Enlightened

darkninja67

Newly Enlightened
I got my M1 Tactical today (along with a LM301 and a SF E2l). I wish it had more knurling but is overall a great light.