Lumapower MVP Review - 3X Cree - BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES, COMPARISONS, and more!

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was using mine to spot 6 deer across the field. :devil: Next time I take my camera/tripod with me. :whistle:

I only have one complaint about this light. To change the batteries properly (at the tailcap, not removing the lanyard ring), you have to TURN and TURN and TURN. Good thing the batteries last so long :thumbsup:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light doesn't seem to have any competition, except maybe it's own brother P7. Good job, LumaPower!

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a side note, the MVP will not take a flat-topped R18650. The cell must have a small (+) nipple to interface with the (+) electrode on the MVP head.

For instance, a Trustfire unprotected cell will not make contact. No light!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just a side note, the MVP will not take a flat-topped R18650. The cell must have a small (+) nipple to interface with the (+) electrode on the MVP head.
Good point Paul. However, all my older flatp-top AW protected 18650's would make contact with the head - but I needed to use a magnet to connect the second battery to the first. Not recommended for actual usage (magnets can slip and short!) - stick with button top cells.

HKJ

Flashaholic

For instance, a Trustfire unprotected cell will not make contact. No light!

Just get a small magnet and put on the + pole of the battery, your can get the magnet from DX for nearly no money (less than $3 for 20).

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eric - did you get the new lights yet?

BTW folks, I never recommend the magnet on battery solution as I'm always concerned it could slip and cause a direct short. Now if you Krazy glue the magnet in place then I'd be just fine with that.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the magnet idea, friends. It worked!

The inside of the tube appears to be anodized well, so the chance for a short is small, I would think

HKJ

Flashaholic
BTW folks, I never recommend the magnet on battery solution as I'm always concerned it could slip and cause a direct short. Now if you Krazy glue the magnet in place then I'd be just fine with that.

If the magnet slips, the coating on the inside of the battery tube has a hole and the protection in the battery fails, your get an explosion!:poof:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
My solution: a donut of foam tape (sticky on the battery side) around a smaller magnet: ends up being about as tall as a protected 18650. I tested, it works great in the MVP and the charger. :twothumbs

Left: Protected cell. Center: Final assembly. Right: Parts used.

IMG_2285.jpg

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
My solution: a donut of foam tape (sticky on the battery side) around a smaller magnet: ends up being about as tall as a protected 18650.
Interesting solution Paul. Certainly a lot better than bare magnets, which I think are just too dangerous for regular use on their own.

Eric - did you get the new lights yet?
Tracking shows them arrived in Canada, awaiting customs clearance. :)

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you know what will happen when you forget that MVP can't take 4xRCR123 batteries and you will use them? Yeah, the driver will fry :poof::ohgeez::banghead:

Well at least it opportunity to make real MVP Turboforce with 3xMC-E :naughty::D Custom heatsink is already in production...