Lumencraft Gatlight Ti Review: A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumencraft Gatlight Ti

Posted for consideration for the review forum:

The Gatlight, now in it’s 4th iteration since inception, has taken the simple every day carry flashlight and elevated it to an art form that is as much luxury as it is performance. Every portion of it exudes precision and artistry. Yet at the same time, the Gatlight remains useful as a versatile illumination tool, yielding little function to its exquisite form.

Meat and Potatoes

The Gatlight is assembled from over 80 different pieces, 40 of them being precision machined metal parts, most of which are titanium. This is a far cry from the standard decorated tubing used in most flashlights. The result is, aesthetically speaking, nothing short of astounding. Never before have I seen a light that has been so captivating as the singular beauty of this design. In spite of its myriad of components, the Gatlight is so well crafted and every piece fits together so well that it gives the impression that it is milled from a single block of metal. It is so well constructed that it is durable enough to handle whatever task lies at hand.

Lumencraft has chosen to utilize a focusing lens as the beamshaping element in the Gatlight. Once again I am reminded how much I vastly prefer this method over its reflectored counterpart. I find the spillbeam’s gradual transition to nothing to be far more pleasing in spite of any slight imperfections that arise using lenses like this, of which the Gatlight has surprisingly few. Lumencrafts choice of a more flood-like, wide-angle beam seems quite well suited for the common close range tasks generally encountered by an EDC light, though it does somewhat mask the apparent brightness of the beam due to its more diffuse pattern.

The Gatlight is, however, more about control than just unbridled power. The output on Lumencraft’s flagship production has always been continuously variable down to an incredibly low level of light, rivaling both the moon mode of 4Sevens Quark series and level 1 of the Neofab Spartanian II. The difference between them lies in the focus. The Gatlight’s wider angle creates a vastly more usable beam out of such minimal light, providing smooth, even illumination over a larger area rather than a single tiny hotspot in the dark. The Gatlight’s relatively short rotation control knob makes simple adjustments to the output quick and easy, allowing rapid selection of exactly the right brightness to fit your current needs.

Constructive Criticism

The Gatlight has one particular “feature” which to me feels far more like a bug. At any point during constant-on use, the user has the option to press the rim of the adjustment knob on the tail of the light to achieve a “momentary dim” setting, which slightly reduces the light level as long as you keep applying pressure. While I can see some slight use for this function, in practice it only seems to give the impression of the knob being “loose and wiggley”. Lumencraft has assured me that the equipment used to manufacturer the pieces of the Gatlight is capable of more than enough precision to eliminate any play from these threads, thereby removing this function in favor of a more solid feel. I heartily encourage them to do so in future iterations.

The biggest chink in the armor of excellence worn by the Gatlight is its switch. The momentary forward clicky utilized by this torch is the only part that does not appear to meet the exacting quality standards of the remainder of the light. When following the switches travel slowly the transition between momentary and constant on is painfully obvious by a brief flicker of full fledged “Off” in between. This, unfortunately, only adds to the apparent low quality “feel” of the adjustment knob (even if not low quality in actuality) causing a great disparity with the remainder of the light. With the Gatlight carrying the designation of a Luxury Flashlight, every facet of its construction and operation has to be carefully crafted to not only perform perfectly, but also give the optimum impression of quality to the end user.

One other area that is of minor concern may be one merely of preference. The use of a focusing lens has one property that is both beautiful and slightly problematic. Without a true fully reflective surface containing all of the light and projecting it forward, some of it then is able to escape from the sides of the lens and through the bars of the light. As beautiful as this makes the torch look, it also comes with the problem of slightly dazzling the wielder with backscattered lumens. I wonder if there is not some way to tint the exterior of that lens to both reduce the quantity of light directed back at the users eyes, while still allowing the Gatlight to posses its signature glow from within.

Conclusions

The Gatlight is, in my opinion, one of the greatest flashlights available at this time. Form and function come together into a fantastic tool that borders on a work of art. It is a beauty to behold and a joy to use. While this light may fall a little short of truly spectacular, you can at least see it from here.

Lumencraft Gatlight Ti

Nano-Oil.com

Newly Enlightened
[Unnecessarily long quote removed - DM51]

Hello AardvarkSagus,

Very eloquently presented, and I share you enthusiasm, I carry 2 EDCs, and one of them is the Gatlight.
Every EDC should have 0 to 100 percent adjustable duty on light emission.
As far as pushing the rim of switch knob, it will reduce light output relatively from any light setting that you are on at the moment push,
It is a relative position towards the resistance changing device and where you are in terms on turns.
Therefore a nice upgrade for Walter Bachtiger in the future would be to increase spring tention to a next level which would force the user to consciously reach that function. there is a way I believe to eliminate it all together but it is trotting in my head for about a year & not implemented yet, it would fix 2 things 1- this discussion 2- conductivity

I pull my hat to Walter for implementing almost 0 to 100 % duty in only <> 1 mm of mechanical displacement.

Last edited by a moderator:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Soooo Pretty!!! I don't care how bright it is...that is just a beautiful light. Thanks for the pics!

Nano-Oil.com

Newly Enlightened
Soooo Pretty!!! I don't care how bright it is...that is just a beautiful light. Thanks for the pics!
Woodrow,

Actually this is a very bright little guy, specially when you use a CR123 3.7 volts Lithium reachargeable.
The DC to DC + DC to LED is very well designed & the autonomy of these batteries are very satisfactory.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review and the nice words... and we'll certainly consider your input regarding the rim... even though its unlikely that we do another round of those lights.. with 80 parts its just very complex to manage production assembly etc... so the few we have left is likely gonna be it...

And besides we've had some ideas that should be fascinating as well..

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review and the nice words... and we'll certainly consider your input regarding the rim... even though its unlikely that we do another round of those lights.. with 80 parts its just very complex to manage production assembly etc... so the few we have left is likely gonna be it...

And besides we've had some ideas that should be fascinating as well..
No Problem! I always use the same format for every light I review because personally I believe it is impossible for a light to be perfect. These are just my suggestions if ever a V5 comes to be.

As far as your ideas for something new...I've heard a few of them and though my lips are sealed...:eek::clap:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supporter
Very nice review! I have thought of a flexible translucent or transparent plastic "wrap" which would encircle the area where the light escapes to the side--red might be nice....

Karl

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally have begun wondering what it would look like to gild the lens with gold leaf. Would that be thin enough to be translucent? It would definitely hold with the luxury of the remainder of the light and has the potential to look amazing, both on and off.